Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 4 Post By Militia Ink
  • 1 Post By @rno
  • 4 Post By Capstan
  • 2 Post By wildflowerliz
  • 2 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 06-02-2016, 10:07 PM

Hello, I'm vegan (<-- one of the hardest things for me to say)

Hey everyone, you got yourself a new member. As you probably already deduced, I'm a vegan. I've done this for about 8 months now and stopped eating meat for about, say, 18 months, and I've always found it difficult to say it to other people. I feel sort of ashamed for saying it out loud, because I feel like people will judge, which I normally wouldn't care about, but since this is so important to me, and the fact not many people seem to be understanding, makes me feel like I shouldn't say anything. I've also got some degree of social anxiety so that probably contributes to it too. So anyway, I'm glad I found this site, and I hope I can help people with my "expertise"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-02-2016, 10:22 PM
cinnamon bun

I feel the same way. I'm trying nowadays to be more confident because, really, people who would judge you just don't matter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 06-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

How do you know if someone's a vegan?

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-02-2016, 10:47 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

Whu would you be judged if you have an own opinion about having a healthy life, care for animals, care for the environment, care for your own mind?

People who eat meat should be judged.

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-
wildflowerliz likes this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#5 Old 06-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Impeach the gangster

I've been vegan over 20-years. I felt that way at first, but I've learned people respect you more, when you're simply true to yourself. You just need to find your self-confidence. It will come! Welcome to the boards, and bon appetit!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#6 Old 06-03-2016, 05:58 AM

I can totally relate to the social anxiety around being vegan and being open and vocal about it. Here are some tips I have:

-I always feel better about responding to someone in a calm, educated and light-hearted matter when people question me. Rather than getting angry or hiding my head in the sand. For example, on social media I posted a vegan video and some responded "no bacon? wtf?" and at first I felt angry and wanted to tear him a new you-know-what, but I calmed myself down and responded with "nope, somehow I'll survive." Which I feel like shows that I am not a crazy vegan but also pointing out how unnecessary bacon is for survival, in a light-hearted way.

-Those people who matter most in life will be respectful of you, but they will each deal with you being vegan in a different way. Some people feel the need to bring it up and argue, and these people I feel are actually the ones who feel the ethical dilemma and are trying to absolve themselves, and that's why they argue with you. Some people will just ignore it and not mention it ever, and that's okay.

-It also helps to consider your audience- I have got the most positive reaction when I tell people about the benefits of veganism on health. People seem to accept that better than the environmental and ethical factors - which they are just too disconnected from.

Above all, since being vegan is a part of who I am, I feel better when I am open and honest about it to people in my life! Its something I am proud of, and I am confident in my decision. I don't want to make anyone else uncomfortable, but I also have the right to feel comfortable in who I am!

I hope this helps, best of luck to you and I am so glad you are here!!!!
Naturebound and David3 like this.
#7 Old 06-03-2016, 10:49 AM

Militia Ink is the coolest person you will ever meet. Guaranteed.
#8 Old 06-03-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr32 View Post
Militia Ink is the coolest person you will ever meet. Guaranteed.
Shut the hell up xd
#9 Old 06-03-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militia Ink View Post
Shut the hell up xd
*blows kiss*
#10 Old 06-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Militia Ink and welcome! I too have social anxiety, and avoidant personality disorder. However, being vegan is something I have been passionate about from day one, and it is who I am and what I stand for. I remember I did wait about a month before coming out to others because I was afraid of judgment and arguments, but honestly most people have been great. Veganism has really helped me a lot with being more assertive and speaking up for myself and my needs. it has given me a voice I never thought I had. I actually leafleted and tabled local colleges, high schools and downtown for a time. I did it all on my own with phone tips and materials supplied by Vegan Outreach. I remember when I would head for a crowd with my leaflets, and how every instinctive part of myself wanted to run away, but that NEED to share what I learned and important information with young people totally overcame that instinct. I thought tabling at a local private catholic college would be a nightmare, but it was one of the best experiences I ever had, and felt like a huge accomplishment. People are usually more respectful in person. There are those few that will be jerks, and I learned to shut them out and focus on those interested in learning more.

I never felt ashamed of being vegan, but I have felt reluctant to share it to certain people because I KNOW they aren't going to understand, and trying to explain what it means to those people can be a challenge. I remember that I spent a LOT of time learning about what veganism means, and all the issues, and learning about vegan nutrition and so on, so that I could be more articulate in my answers. And just being myself is the best way to go about it. I don't necessarily shout to everyone around me that I am vegan. I share it with friends, family, coworkers here and there. I wear vegan T shirts from time to time to the fitness center or around the neighborhood. Otherwise, I am just me, living my life and doing my thing. If the topic comes up, great, if not, that's ok too.

It was tougher with close family as they had genuine concerns. It took some patience, and generally just being positive and enthusiastic about being vegan in the way I lived my life, how I prepared food, and delt with situations when traveling etc. I don't complain a lot. But I am very firm in my commitment and what I will do and not do. I think that convinced my family more than any particular information I gave them. When they saw me thriving, they became more ok with it. And I love to cook and prepare homemade food, and share it with others. I loved doing that long before going vegan, but being vegan opened up a whole new world of recipes and creative ways to make food.

You are in good company here!
LedBoots and Militia Ink like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page