Hey Everyone! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By VeganNerd
  • 1 Post By VeganNerd

#1 Old 06-01-2016, 05:03 PM

Hey Everyone!

Hello! My name is Shane, and I've just started being a vegan for about 3 days now. I've been perusing the forums here looking for recipes, information, and pretty much everything I can think of.

I've pondered to even sign up in the first place, as my current situation is a bit... well, less than what I expected. Not from going vegan in general, just with those who are against it and are greatly misinformed on the facts of this all. Not that I expect any of the members here to be the same, just that I feel like I want to close myself off from everyone because of it. I figured that if I started to discuss everything with like minded people, then maybe this will prevent that. So I'll explain everything in detail, then I'll fire off some questions regarding it all. I would've put this in a different forum section, but since this is my first post, I believe it'll suffice. If not, then please let me know.

The reason why I chose to change my lifestyle is because of several reasons: meat is starting to taste nasty to me, the abuse of animals makes me sad and angry at the same time (YouTube helped me look into it all...), milk (and anything dairy) makes me sick (literally), and the last time I had eggs... my body wanted to reject it. I'm sick and tired of it all and decided it was a great time to change.

I've noticed from all the meats and dairy that I have consumed over time, has destroyed me. I noticed I was becoming less energetic, not happy as I used to be, and I believe I was border-lining on depression. Ever since I changed my diet I've been getting WAY better sleep, my moods are in extreme happiness, and my skin is a lot less oily. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but those are what really stand out for me at the moment.

Now, the things that are bothering me may seem minimal and not such a big deal to others, but it is to me. Well, as soon as I started being vegan, my wife has supported me in it. She thinks it's great that I'm trying to better myself physically and morally, but it's her family that just doesn't understand or want to hear it. Her Mom keeps saying that it's ok to eat poultry and fish, and I keep informing her that it's all animal products I can't have. She just doesn't hear whatever it is I have to say about it all. She also states that I won't build any muscle mass whatsoever in the process... still, she won't hear anything I have to say. My wife keeps telling me to shrug it off and pay no attention to it. But it still gets to me. What should I do?

Another concern of mine, is that my wife eats meat. Not that I judge her for it, just that with my new way of looking at things, I feel like it'll bother me some time in the future. When I look at anything with meat now, I start to feel sad and sick. I don't know if this is just me, but it's pretty much what happens. I've seen her already eat meals with meat, and I get uncomfortable just seeing it. What do I do? Should I try to coax her into veganism? Or should I just let it be?

My current meals are very basic at best for now. Pretty much what I've eaten so far is canned vegan refried beans (I'll probably cook some fresh beans tonight though) with broccoli, carrots, bean sprouts, Tabasco wrapped in a wheat tortilla with a side of spinach salad that has the same thing on them (besides Tabasco of course). I've also bought soy milk and rice milk to try out; next time will be almond milk. I will get WAY more vegetables and fruits next time I go grocery shopping, but I've got a ton of various canned fruits and vegetables to try later on. Of course before I even use them, I always check the ingredients. Is there a definitive list of ingredients that are non-vegan, so that I can stay away from? I've Googled it, and found several lists and I've saved them on my hard drive for later to check all my food with. Just asking, since I don't want to accidentally consume something that isn't vegan.

If anyone has any advice, opinions, suggestions, or whatnot, let me know! I'm very interested to educating myself on this matter. I look forward to becoming a regular member on here, and I hope to have some great conversations and discussions with everyone here! Take care everyone! ^_^
LedBoots, QuietVegan and VeganMel like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganNerd View Post
Hello! My name is Shane, and I've just started being a vegan for about 3 days now. I've been perusing the forums here looking for recipes, information, and pretty much everything I can think of.

^_^

Hi Shane,

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you're making good food choices. Here's a link that you might find useful. It's a very well-written Vegetarian (actually vegan) Starter Guide, published by Mercy For Animals. On page 13, it summarizes vegan nutrition. It also has easy vegan meal ideas throughout: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

Here are nutrients to pay attention to on a vegan diet: http://veganhealth.org/articles/dailyrecs

I think there are several members here with spouses who are omnivorous. They might be able to address your concerns in that area.

I hear you. There is a lot of misinformation going around about vegan diets (and about nutrition in general).

If you Google "vegan bodybuilders", you'll find impressive photos to show your family members.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 06-01-2016, 06:10 PM

Hi Shane, welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-02-2016, 12:19 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#5 Old 06-02-2016, 01:49 AM
Beginner

Hello and welcome to the forum Shane

Here's some vegan athletes who aren't lacking in muscle mass or energy, including Nate Diaz who kicked Conor McGregor's ass recently!

http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/26/13-veg...-diet-5349835/

https://www.vegansociety.com/whats-n...wered-athletes
#6 Old 06-02-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Hi Shane,

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you're making good food choices. Here's a link that you might find useful. It's a very well-written Vegetarian (actually vegan) Starter Guide, published by Mercy For Animals. On page 13, it summarizes vegan nutrition. It also has easy vegan meal ideas throughout: <link removed>

Here are nutrients to pay attention to on a vegan diet: <link removed>

I think there are several members here with spouses who are omnivorous. They might be able to address your concerns in that area.

I hear you. There is a lot of misinformation going around about vegan diets (and about nutrition in general).

If you Google "vegan bodybuilders", you'll find impressive photos to show your family members.

I downloaded the vegan starter guide you linked and it definitely showed me that I need to add to my meals. I also checked out the other link, and I already take B super complex pills (that states no dairy or egg was added), so I'll need to get other veggies for calcium. I have a question though, do I need to get Omega-3 supplements? I can easily pick up a bottle of them at my grocery store, just that I thought that Omega-3 was only taken from fish (correct me if I'm wrong please). And yeah, I've Googled up "vegan bodybuilders", and now I can show her that you don't need meat to make muscles. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietVegan View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum Shane

Here's some vegan athletes who aren't lacking in muscle mass or energy, including Nate Diaz who kicked Conor McGregor's ass recently!

<link removed>

<link removed>
Great! I'll definitely show her these links! I appreciate it! Thanks!

@ Everyone:
Thank you all for welcoming me to the forums! ^_^
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page