• 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Jenn2
  • 2 Post By ModVegan
  • 2 Post By VeggieInABlender
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 05-03-2016, 01:20 PM
On The Road To Two Years!

An Introduction

Hi there! My name's Matt and I became vegetarian in October 2014. I recently discovered this forum as I never really looked up anything to do with my vegetarianism online.

However now I desperately need your guys help, both vegetarian and vegan.

I am making an application for my Computer Science A-Level. The application will scan the barcode of an item, find the product and tell the user if said product is suitable for their diet (current compatible diets are pescatarian, vegetarian and vegan).

Part of my coursework is finding out how useful my potential clients would find my application and what else they would like the application to do.

This is where you, dear reader come in. Unfortunately right now, due to my lack of posts, I cannot link my survey on this post however, I would really like if we could get a conversation going so I can link the survey as soon as possible. I believe my deadline for the responses is this Friday so I do have some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2016, 02:33 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieInABlender View Post
Hi there! My name's Matt and I became vegetarian in October 2014. I recently discovered this forum as I never really looked up anything to do with my vegetarianism online.

However now I desperately need your guys help, both vegetarian and vegan.

I am making an application for my Computer Science A-Level. The application will scan the barcode of an item, find the product and tell the user if said product is suitable for their diet (current compatible diets are pescatarian, vegetarian and vegan).

Part of my coursework is finding out how useful my potential clients would find my application and what else they would like the application to do.

This is where you, dear reader come in. Unfortunately right now, due to my lack of posts, I cannot link my survey on this post however, I would really like if we could get a conversation going so I can link the survey as soon as possible. I believe my deadline for the responses is this Friday so I do have some time.
That would be an extremely useful program, though you might need to work with other databases or the manufacturers to find out where they derive things from - a lot of flavoring agents and other things can have plant OR animal origins, and some things like caseinate usually come from animals but CAN have plant origins. It's quite the undertaking, but it would be worth it. I think the people that would benefit most would be vegans, mostly because we're more concerned with animal-originating ingredients than most vegetarians or pescetarians.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 05-03-2016, 03:33 PM

The application also has 3 databases (one for each diet) that it searches before going to stores. In them contains the most obscure products that aren't suitable for the user's diet so with a tad researching all of those problems would be solved.

"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." ~Kevin James

VeggieInABlender, Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

The biggest hurdle we face are things whose sourcing are questioned, and natural flavors. An app would only be able to flag the as suspicious.
Someone else here came up with a program where you could copy and paste the ingrediants and it would flag things as animal products or suspicious

Until labeling requires foods be labeled as containing animal products the best thing you can do is email the company.

that tick that causes meat allergies may just have that effect!

Last edited by silva; 05-03-2016 at 03:58 PM.
#5 Old 05-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Slightly off topic....curious as to why you'd have three databases instead of a single one with different flags? I am certainly not an expert with programming so kinda curious.
#6 Old 05-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Vegan since 1991

No reason why you can't list your survey questions here.
LedBoots likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#7 Old 05-03-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
Slightly off topic....curious as to why you'd have three databases instead of a single one with different flags? I am certainly not an expert with programming so kinda curious.
I can see how one database would have its advantages, it would certainly save memory as what is in the pescatarian blacklist is literally copied and pasted into the vegetarian blacklist which is then added to and that is then copied and pasted into the vegan blacklist which is again developed upon. However, unless the databases were ridiculously large, I can't see it having a noticable effect from the end-user's point of view.

Three separate databases are a lot shorter than one long one and will therefore be searched quicker. Plus, they aren't the primary form of finding out if a product is suitable or not, however it is an incentive for people on e.g: limited mobile data plans. If the app has some form of functionality offline, it instantly becomes a lot more useful for people who eat up their data faster than I can pizza.

"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." ~Kevin James

VeggieInABlender, Matt
#8 Old 05-03-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
No reason why you can't list your survey questions here.
True, however the survey is linked to a Google Sheets workbook owned by my lecturer than enables him to basically see if I'm lying about the results I got or not.

It's a shame how little the majority are trusted for the actions of the minority. But that's been a debate topic for centuries.

VeggieInABlender, Matt
#9 Old 05-05-2016, 01:32 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#10 Old 05-06-2016, 06:45 AM

When Can I Post The Link?

Does anyone know the minimum amount of posts I need before I can post the link, my count will be at 5 after I've posted this, I'm guessing it's around 10 and I need to get this done for Monday :/
#11 Old 05-06-2016, 07:16 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Does anyone know the minimum amount of posts I need before I can post the link, my count will be at 5 after I've posted this, I'm guessing it's around 10 and I need to get this done for Monday :/
I don't know the answers about when you can post links, but maybe you could post here how long it will take to do the survey, number of questions, and until the link issue gets figured out, maybe you can ask people to pm you for the link?

I appreciate that you are a fellow veg*n; however, in the past few months there have been a flurry of people joining, posting their link, and leaving...it is distracting and frustrating. It's not why we are here. IMO, if every second person posted on here solely for us to visit their link, this would no longer be a forum, it would be an advertisement station. BTW, you can post in any discussion...take a look around, maybe you will find another conversation where you can add some of your knowledge and experience as a vegetarian. Maybe you would even decide that you want to become involved in the community...the same community that you want help from.

If your survey takes less than 10 mins, I'll do it (partly because I feel bad for my little rant here) if you can pm me your link, feel free to do so.
LedBoots likes this.
#12 Old 05-06-2016, 10:53 AM

I think it would be interesting to see the survey.

Personally, I can see how such an app would be extremely valuable, at least for the PETA-level vegan (i.e., 99% vegan but less worried about things like bone char in sugar, etc. For example, I still eat "accidentally vegan" junk on occasion, like Oreos, etc. even if I'm not sure about ever single ingredient's purity).

I would love it if the app looked for Carmine, because it's not as easy to find on the label. Honey, beeswax and royal jelly are also good things to look for. Because of labelling laws in the US and Canada, I can look at most products and see the "contains milk" or "contains eggs" warnings, but insect ingredients like shellac are not bolded, so they require more in-depth examination. Also gelatin!

You couldn't possibly account for every ingredient, but if your app could focus on the ingredients above, it would be super helpful for the majority of vegans.

Honestly, I've wondered why PETA, with all their resources, hasn't come up with an app like that. I'd gladly pay 4.99 or so for something that could just tell me if a product contains the major culprits.

(Bonus: the only other people who really care about insect ingredients, aside from vegans, are devout muslims and jews, who would also be happy to have an app that would tell them if products contained carmine. In my research on vegan makeup I was surprised to find out that muslims are seriously annoyed that insect ingredients aren't listed on labels).
LedBoots and David3 like this.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blog:

Twitter:

Veganism is not a sacrifice, it's a joy.
- Gary L. Francione
#13 Old 05-06-2016, 01:26 PM

@Jenn2 @ModVegan

Thank you for your interest! In regards to the recent people joining simply to advertise, I can only ask for your trust when I say I'm not one of them. It truly is disgusting that people would do that. In my case this is just a great place to hangout, the only other veg*n I know is my girlfriend. All of our families eat meat and it is awful to go to family meet ups these days.

Anyway, can you suggest a forum/s that I could post my link on eventually? I'm hoping to get as many responses as possible by Monday. Thanks!
Jenn2 and ModVegan like this.
#14 Old 05-06-2016, 01:35 PM

Unfortunately, I haven't been around long enough to know where would be the best place to post a link. Have you thought about posting it on twitter (if you are on twitter?).

YouTube:
Blog:

Twitter:

- Gary L. Francione
#15 Old 05-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModVegan View Post
I think it would be interesting to see the survey.

Personally, I can see how such an app would be extremely valuable, at least for the PETA-level vegan (i.e., 99% vegan but less worried about things like bone char in sugar, etc. For example, I still eat "accidentally vegan" junk on occasion, like Oreos, etc. even if I'm not sure about ever single ingredient's purity).

I would love it if the app looked for Carmine, because it's not as easy to find on the label. Honey, beeswax and royal jelly are also good things to look for. Because of labelling laws in the US and Canada, I can look at most products and see the "contains milk" or "contains eggs" warnings, but insect ingredients like shellac are not bolded, so they require more in-depth examination. Also gelatin!

You couldn't possibly account for every ingredient, but if your app could focus on the ingredients above, it would be super helpful for the majority of vegans.

Honestly, I've wondered why PETA, with all their resources, hasn't come up with an app like that. I'd gladly pay 4.99 or so for something that could just tell me if a product contains the major culprits.

(Bonus: the only other people who really care about insect ingredients, aside from vegans, are devout muslims and jews, who would also be happy to have an app that would tell them if products contained carmine. In my research on vegan makeup I was surprised to find out that muslims are seriously annoyed that insect ingredients aren't listed on labels).
Here's a scan barcode app, an ingrediant list, an app for finding vegan choices at chain and fast food restaurants, a cruelty free product list, a restaurant locator-- I really like Is It Vegan, which is the barcode scan and a rating for if all vegan, or how questionable the products are--
http://www.peta.org/living/other/mus...animal-lovers/

Carmine is legally required to be listed as it is very severe allergen
Carmine (/ˈkɑːrmɪn/ or /ˈkɑːrmaɪn/), also called crimson lake or carmine lake, cochineal, natural red 4,[1] C.I. 75470,[1] or E120, is a pigment of a bright-red color obtained from the aluminium salt of carminic acid; it is also a general term for a particularly deep-red color of the same name. The pigment is produced from some scale insects such as the cochineal scale and certain Porphyrophora species (Armenian cochineal and Polish cochineal). Carmine is used in the manufacture of artificial flowers, paints, crimson ink, rouge, and other cosmetics, and is routinely added to food products such as yogurt, candy and certain brands of juice, the most notable ones being those of the ruby-red variety.

Last edited by silva; 05-06-2016 at 02:52 PM.
#16 Old 05-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
VB has a 10 post minimum for links because while we welcome members interests we're a discussion board, not an advertising site..
If you're interested in being a member we can add your product to the Product Review forum.
You can also have a link added to your tagline so it will be at the end of all your posts
#17 Old 05-06-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Here's a scan barcode app, an ingrediant list, an app for finding vegan choices at chain and fast food restaurants, a cruelty free product list, a restaurant locator-- I really like Is It Vegan, which is the barcode scan and a rating for if all vegan, or how questionable the products are--
http://www.peta.org/living/other/mus...animal-lovers/

Carmine is legally required to be listed as it is very severe allergen
Carmine (/ˈkɑːrmɪn/ or /ˈkɑːrmaɪn/), also called crimson lake or carmine lake, cochineal, natural red 4,[1] C.I. 75470,[1] or E120, is a pigment of a bright-red color obtained from the aluminium salt of carminic acid; it is also a general term for a particularly deep-red color of the same name. The pigment is produced from some scale insects such as the cochineal scale and certain Porphyrophora species (Armenian cochineal and Polish cochineal). Carmine is used in the manufacture of artificial flowers, paints, crimson ink, rouge, and other cosmetics, and is routinely added to food products such as yogurt, candy and certain brands of juice, the most notable ones being those of the ruby-red variety.
I know carmine is listed, but it's not bolded and I find it annoying to have to look for it all the time I don't know why anyone uses it anyway! They use it in sooo many things. Especially if you let your kids eat garish red applesauce etc. (which I'm guilty of). I hate that they use it in ready to eat jello, which is actually vegan - except for the colouring (they use seaweed to make the pre-made jello).

YouTube:
Blog:

Twitter:

- Gary L. Francione
#18 Old 05-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if it's more in Canada? I find it very rare in anything I look at, but know it's in Spree candies, and fruit drinks.
There is the problem with other red dyes being petroleum based, but geeeeeez, we don't need 'colored' food anyway!
I'm seeing more and more a trend towards using vegetable based color. Aldis cereal and other products, I think, are now free of dyes
ModVegan likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page