• 1 Post By ellaj
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By ellaj
  • 1 Post By ellaj
  • 2 Post By ellaj
  • 2 Post By Aliakai

#1 Old 04-28-2016, 06:18 AM

Hello!

Hello, my name is ella and I am so happy to be a new member here. I am a long time vegetarian and am now in the process of becoming vegan. My journey began last spring (2015) and it is ongoing. Long story short, I encountered a health issue and had to go gluten free which meant that a major food group, wheat, had to be eliminated from my diet..... the same time I was eliminating eggs and all dairy products.

It has been a bit of a rocky road....weight loss, thinning hair and feeling "not quite myself" were issues that I had to address. I was going to give up but then I found this forum and my resolve is stronger than ever.

Thanks for listening, I am looking forward to exploring this wonderful forum. ella
Jenn2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

hello
#3 Old 04-28-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
hello
Hello Back, odizzido.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-28-2016, 11:21 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaj View Post
Hello, my name is ella and I am so happy to be a new member here. I am a long time vegetarian and am now in the process of becoming vegan. My journey began last spring (2015) and it is ongoing. Long story short, I encountered a health issue and had to go gluten free which meant that a major food group, wheat, had to be eliminated from my diet..... the same time I was eliminating eggs and all dairy products.

It has been a bit of a rocky road....weight loss, thinning hair and feeling "not quite myself" were issues that I had to address. I was going to give up but then I found this forum and my resolve is stronger than ever.

Thanks for listening, I am looking forward to exploring this wonderful forum. ella
Hi ella. Lots of new vegans find it difficult to eat enough calories at first. Even coming from vegetarianism, cutting out dairy and wheat, bam, big loss of caloric food. Eat!
#5 Old 04-28-2016, 11:25 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#6 Old 04-29-2016, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi ella and welcome! I think it would be more of a challenge to go vegan when you can not have gluten either, but not impossible. There are quite a few sites now that have gluten free vegan recipes and ideas, and there are a few gluten free vegan cookbooks out there too. Here are a few:

http://gluten-free-vegan-girl.com/

https://simplygluten-free.com/gluten-free-recipes/vegan

http://www.vegkitchen.com/tips/healt...vegan-recipes/

http://ohsheglows.com/categories/rec...s/gluten-free/

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co...egetarian.html

My Mom eats gluten free and she tried to go completely vegan also, but after six months she lost half her hair and started eating fish and dairy again. Her caveat was she has severe diverticulitis and can not have seeds or nuts either, which are a huge source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for vegans. If you can eat those, I would highly recommend incorporating them into your daily diet in small amounts. If not, taking a vegan DHA/EPA supplement might help too (my Mom takes DEVA DHA supplements and they help her), especially with hair loss. Lots of leafy greens, beans, and sources of vitamin C such as bell peppers, oranges, strawberries etc would help with iron and iron absorption (iron deficiency can be a cause of hair thinning).

Best wishes and welcome again!
Jenn2 likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 04-29-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Hi ella. Lots of new vegans find it difficult to eat enough calories at first. Even coming from vegetarianism, cutting out dairy and wheat, bam, big loss of caloric food. Eat!
Hello, Ledboots, so nice to meet you.

Thanks, yes I am finding this to be true and I am doing my best to keep my calorie count up. I want so badly to make this work and stumbling upon this forum has been very instrumental in helping me to regain my focus. The timing could not have been better as I was about to give up altogether. Being a "certifiable health nut" has helped, also.
LedBoots likes this.
#8 Old 04-29-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-
Ha Ha, I love this! Thanks for the colorful welcome, @rno, you made me smile.
#9 Old 04-29-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Hi ella and welcome! I think it would be more of a challenge to go vegan when you can not have gluten either, but not impossible. There are quite a few sites now that have gluten free vegan recipes and ideas, and there are a few gluten free vegan cookbooks out there too. Here are a few:

My Mom eats gluten free and she tried to go completely vegan also, but after six months she lost half her hair and started eating fish and dairy again. Her caveat was she has severe diverticulitis and can not have seeds or nuts either, which are a huge source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for vegans. If you can eat those, I would highly recommend incorporating them into your daily diet in small amounts. If not, taking a vegan DHA/EPA supplement might help too (my Mom takes DEVA DHA supplements and they help her), especially with hair loss. Lots of leafy greens, beans, and sources of vitamin C such as bell peppers, oranges, strawberries etc would help with iron and iron absorption (iron deficiency can be a cause of hair thinning).

Best wishes and welcome again!
Thank-you for the welcome, Naturebound, it is so nice to meet you.

The links are wonderful, thank-you! Fortunately I can eat nuts, my favorites are cashews and almonds. Yesterday I went to the health food store and bought a Vitamin B12 supplement and I will surely go back for the DHA/EPA supplement as well. Thinning hair was the most troubling thing for me, I have always had a healthy head of hair and seeing it thin out so much was distressing to say the least. This is why I made the decision to add eggs and cheese back into my diet (this and the weight loss.)

After watching Forks Over Knives I committed to becoming vegan, but when I had to go gluten free it all fell apart...until now that is. I just need to do my homework.

This forum and members like yourself will help keep me focused, thanks again!
#10 Old 04-29-2016, 01:27 PM
Pagan Vegan

Quote:

Hi Ella!

I'm gluten free as well and I feel your pain with the thinning hair and feeling unlike yourself, it's horrible isn't it?

Fingers crossed that your journey in vegetarianism and veganism helps you feel a little better!

Through the streets and the houses of gods you roam
and on their altars you lay your heart of stone
#11 Old 04-29-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triss View Post
Hi Ella!

I'm gluten free as well and I feel your pain with the thinning hair and feeling unlike yourself, it's horrible isn't it?

Fingers crossed that your journey in vegetarianism and veganism helps you feel a little better!
Hi, Triss!

Yes, no fun at all. My shed has ended and I can now see a halo of new baby hairs starting to emerge, fortunately. My fingers and toes are crossedin hopes that I will continue to feel better.
LedBoots likes this.
#12 Old 05-03-2016, 05:15 AM

Update....

I had a good talk with a family member who is a medical doctor with a homeopathic practice as well. We talked about my desire to be vegan and my health issues in regard to being gluten free (not by choice, a must do.)

We also talked about my joining this forum....he thought that this was a very positive decision. Any and all information that I can gather from like-minded people is an absolute plus.

I cannot afford to lose anymore weight and I am having a difficult time dealing with having to supplement, something that I have always avoided.

So...I am going to turn my focus to remaining vegetarian. This means that I will add eggs and some cheese back into my diet. I do not feel that I have failed in any way, my journey has only taken a different direction.

~ella~
silva and Spudulika like this.
#13 Old 05-07-2016, 07:34 AM

Red face

I am once again back on track to transitioning to vegan. Adding eggs and cheese back into my diet over the last few days is not working for me, the cheese was almost do-able but the eggs, well I just can't...

I have been doing plenty of research with regard to being gluten free on a vegan diet and for the most part, it is possible. Keeping on with the B12 supplements and being sure to get adequate amounts of healthy calories are a must if I am to succeed.

No more eggs, no more cheese, vegan starting today, decision made.

This forum has been instrumental is helping me to regain my focus.

~ella
#14 Old 05-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

This is so interesting. I have read so many things about gluten free. I am not sure if it is true but have read that a lot of people are not gluten intolerant and it can be the non organic wheat people are eating. I have no idea if this is right and am sure there are people that are gluten intolerant. One thing that I read which seems feasible is that a lot of people trying to eat gluten free buy products that are made gluten free and they are not good. It sort of makes sense but have no idea. I would assume there are a lot of vegan options for gluten free people. If I were to cut out the little bread I ate and stopped drinking beer I think my diet would be gluten free. I hope everything works out well for you and you feel great.
#15 Old 05-07-2016, 05:55 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
I hope everything works out well for you and you feel great.
Thank-you so much, ocrob37.

I like to stay away from purchasing store bought, gluten free foods whenever possible, many of them just aren't all that healthy to begin with. Gluten free pasta and cereal are the exceptions, there is a pretty decent selection to choose from.

Last edited by ellaj; 05-07-2016 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling
#16 Old 05-07-2016, 06:16 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:

Did your health issue happen to be celiacs? If so, going Vegan was definitely a good move, as some studies have shown casein (a protein in milk) and avenin (a protein in oats) sometimes cause the same reactions as gluten in celiacs patients and can slow down healing. My blog has quite a few gluten free recipes on it, and most if not all the ones I post henceforth will be as well, so hopefully you find it useful.

Either way, welcome to the board! I look forward to seeing more posts from you soon.
LedBoots and ellaj like this.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#17 Old 05-07-2016, 06:18 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
This is so interesting. I have read so many things about gluten free. I am not sure if it is true but have read that a lot of people are not gluten intolerant and it can be the non organic wheat people are eating. I have no idea if this is right and am sure there are people that are gluten intolerant. One thing that I read which seems feasible is that a lot of people trying to eat gluten free buy products that are made gluten free and they are not good. It sort of makes sense but have no idea. I would assume there are a lot of vegan options for gluten free people. If I were to cut out the little bread I ate and stopped drinking beer I think my diet would be gluten free. I hope everything works out well for you and you feel great.
There's a theory out there backed by Michael Pollan which states that the yeast breads we make now might be the culprit. The classic sourdough breads of our ancestors were made using more than just wild yeast. The doughs would capture lactobacillus and up to 15 other cultures which would feed on and break down the gluten, some of the starches, and some of the toxins found on the outside of the wheat bran, but it required a near all day rising process to do. With just adding yeast and not culturing with wild, local strains caught from the air, we're missing a good chunk of what made bread edible.

No idea if there's any research to back this, but it's worth considering.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

#18 Old 05-08-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliakai View Post
Did your health issue happen to be celiacs? If so, going Vegan was definitely a good move, as some studies have shown casein (a protein in milk) and avenin (a protein in oats) sometimes cause the same reactions as gluten in celiacs patients and can slow down healing. My blog has quite a few gluten free recipes on it, and most if not all the ones I post henceforth will be as well, so hopefully you find it useful.

Either way, welcome to the board! I look forward to seeing more posts from you soon.
Thank-you for the welcome, Alikai.

Thankfully I do not have Celiacs. I have been diagnosed with "Gluten Sensitivity." For most of my life I have suffered with digestive "issues" and had come to accept the fact that this was something that I would have to live with. Being a vegetarian, I believed that my diet was healthy....plenty of fruit veggies, whole grains, etc. Like I have mentioned before, I am a certifiable health nut.

In or around the spring of 2015 my symptoms became far worse. The thought of eating soon became something that I would just rather not do. The discomfort after each meal wasn't worth it. I began to lose weight, which led to a lack of energy, which then led to hair loss because I wasn't getting proper nutrition.

My doctor is treating my symptoms by having me follow a strict Gluten Free diet for six months. After that I will have to add gluten back into my diet and see if my symptoms resurface.

The change in my health so far is short of a miracle. This is all very new to me and I am still in the process of finding out all I can about Gluten Sensitivity.

This link explains it very well, far better than I can put into words...

https://authoritynutrition.com/glute...ivity-is-real/

Last edited by ellaj; 05-08-2016 at 06:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page