Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By goinggreen18
  • 2 Post By goinggreen18
  • 1 Post By goinggreen18
  • 2 Post By goinggreen18

#1 Old 04-23-2016, 08:56 AM

hey, i am thinking about going green

Hello, my name is Pedro and I live in Portugal. Lately I've been thinking about becoming vegetarian, because it is a healthy lifestyle while it is also ethically reassuring. Also, i think that it is a whole different way of regarding pleasure in a calmer, more rational way.
So, I am 18 years old and, while introducing myself, I would also like to ask for some advices on how to make the transition from a regular meat consumer to an ovo-lacto-vegetarian diet in a healthy way.

LedBoots and 10LitresFitness like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-23-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreen18 View Post
Hello, my name is Pedro and I live in Portugal. Lately I've been thinking about becoming vegetarian, because it is a healthy lifestyle while it is also ethically reassuring. Also, i think that it is a whole different way of regarding pleasure in a calmer, more rational way.
So, I am 18 years old and, while introducing myself, I would also like to ask for some advices on how to make the transition from a regular meat consumer to an ovo-lacto-vegetarian diet in a healthy way.

When I was considering making the switch, I decided to try vegan for a day. Now I'm going on a month, and with the plethora of health benefits I've experienced, (not to mention the animal suffering I'm not contributing to), I would never dream of going back. My advice is to just do it! From a health standpoint, you shouldn't have any problems. Just stick with whole foods and eat plenty of grains, mixed vegetables, and legumes/tofu (and in your case, eggs) for your protein.
#3 Old 04-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreen18 View Post

Welcome aboard Pedro!

The Vegetarian Society of the UK has published this web page on ovo-lacto vegetarian nutrition: https://www.vegsoc.org/eatwellplate

You can also contact the Associação Vegetariana Portuguesa, and ask them for vegetarian nutrition information in Portuguese: http://www.avp.org.pt/

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 04-23-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-24-2016, 01:24 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#5 Old 04-24-2016, 04:49 AM

thanks a lot for your helpful advice!
actually, i thought it was a very hard transition, but now that i researched a bit and hear some expereiences like yours i feel even better about changing my life style
David3 and Jenn2 like this.
#6 Old 04-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Ola Pedro,

Besides the advice you were already given, I'd say try to avoid consuming more dairy and eggs to substitute the meat.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#7 Old 04-24-2016, 08:44 PM

Hi Pedro!

Sometimes having more information makes it easier to remain motivated, especially at the beginning. If you haven't seen Cowspiracy yet, I strongly recommend it. Also, at the beginning it can be really helpful to eat foods that you are very familiar with, but contain little or no animal products. For example, my husband is from Latin America, and so we eat a lot of his favourite foods that are "accidentally" vegan, like rice and bean dishes and soups.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:

Veganism is not a sacrifice, it's a joy.
- Gary L. Francione
#8 Old 04-25-2016, 05:58 AM

Again, thanks a lot for the advice, folks!!
Actually, a friend had brought to my attention that a lot of new vegetarians make the mistake of replacing meat with too many dairy products. I'll be careful about that.

Also, is it recommended to cut meat out of my diet gradually? Or can i stop immediatly? I haven't eaten meat in some days and i feel perfectly fine, but i wonder if I should be doing this in another way..

And about "Cowspiracy".. woah.. I had no idea this movie existed and just saw the trailer on youtube. This seems to be very powerful and while it makes me happier about my decision it makes me really sad about the state the world is in..
10LitresFitness likes this.
#9 Old 04-25-2016, 06:41 AM
No flesh since 99'

When I first went vegetarian, I did so overnight and never ate meat again. I can't really say I ever much craved or missed it after I learned where it came from. It took me about 15 years of being a vegetarian before I finally went vegan. There is no need to rush into that and plenty of people are vegetarians first (and sometimes forever, which is fine too). Just cutting out flesh is a HUGE step. I would be sure you have lots of new vegetarian recipes that look appealing to you ready to try making. And try to make dishes from whole foods (beans, grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, fruits, veggies etc...). Home cooked veggie food is SO much better than the faux meats and processed stuff (better for your health, better for your wallet and better tasting, IMO at least). Good luck!

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
#10 Old 04-25-2016, 10:09 AM

actually... as i'm still doing some intensive digging about what i exactly want for my diet, i have been stumbling across more and more facts about sustainability and the effects of intensive animal agriculture/fishing/the dairy industry and i am more inclined to follow a vegan regime now
i mean... i never thought that the consumption of meat and animal products, which i believed to be the most normal thing ever, would put the environment in such strain
well.. the point is that after some time thinking about it i am sure of what i want and i'll be sticking with it
thanks for all the replies and encouragement

(ps. mod can close the thread if he/she wants)
LedBoots and Jenn2 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page