New Vegan with questions. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 03-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Lyn

New Vegan with questions.

What do you do with food you already had when you became vegan? Did you just toss the animal products away?
When you are buying food, what do you do WRT items like some kinds of cookies that say "Two percent less of eggs"?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I kept all the animal products. I still have a couple five years later. I don't recall what I did with my food anymore.

As to the other things you mentioned, I don't understand so I cannot say anything.
#3 Old 03-06-2016, 03:55 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-06-2016, 05:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
What do you do with food you already had when you became vegan? Did you just toss the animal products away?
When you are buying food, what do you do WRT items like some kinds of cookies that say "Two percent less of eggs"?
Thanks.
Hi Lyn and welcome!

When I went vegan I threw away some food, and gave some food to food shelves or friends. I didn't actually have a whole lot of non vegan food in my house when I went vegan if I can even recall as it's been a long time. I was intolerant to dairy for years before going vegan so did not have cheese or dairy milk in the house, though I did consume nonfat plain Greek yogurt on a regular basis so I did use that up. I didn't have much for meat either. I do remember that I gave myself approximately one week to wean off animal products and go completely vegan (at least as far as food and toiletries; replacing my leather shoes took a little longer). I went from omni to vegan and have never looked back!

As a vegan, I am consciously aware of everything I put on or in my body. I make a conscious and ethical choice with each purchase and with consumption and use. I do not find it acceptable to have a product with a "little bit of" honey, or egg, or whey, or gelatin, or whatever other animal derived ingredient is in there. It is different if a package says "made in a facility that also produces dairy, egg, etc". I have no control over that any more than I have control over animal products being sold in a store where I buy my vegan products. The nearest all vegan grocery store I visited was at least 300 miles away. Wherever I have control and the means, I choose to avoid animal products and embrace plant based products. I do make very few exceptions, and that is usually for prescription medicine that is otherwise not available without some history of animal testing or product and it is something I need to survive and function. I am only on three meds (one shot I get at the dr.s office every six months for long term and severe osteoporosis, one daily synthetic thyroid med as I have had hypothyroidism since 1989, and one estradiol patch I change twice a week because I am in surgical menopause since the age of 33 (43 now) and can not function without some kind of hormones). I also have a canvas canoe camping pack I spent over $300 on about 10 years ago that has leather straps and I still use it a few times a year for canoe camping trips. I'm not thrilled about it but replacing it at this point is too costly.

I know for some people it may seem extreme or nit picky when a person avoids a product that would otherwise be vegan but may contain honey or a little bit of egg. But veganism for me is not so much about personal purity and the label as it is an ethical stand against the exploitation of sentient beings that is completely unnecessary. I want to send a message that it is not ok with me. I happily support products that are free of animal derived ingredients, whether it is a known vegan company or a mainstream company that also sells other products that are animal derived. There are some mainstream companies that have begun to include more and more options for vegans such as Amy's, Annie's Homegrown products, and Fantastic World. They may not care about what vegan really means, but they are responding to demand by seeing that more and more of their customers are choosing their plant based products. In this way we have a powerful voice and can do something constructive to lessen demand for animal products. Buying something with a little bit of egg or whey or other animal product does not accomplish this.
TerriNC likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 03-06-2016, 05:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Like Naturebound, I threw some stuff away,gave some to food pantries, and gave some to family members. Once I made my decision, I did the clean out all in one day. For me, I knew the food in my kitchen was making me sick and wanted it out ASAP.

Welcome to the group, and best of luck with your new journey!

EatPlant-Based.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page