VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/19-new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Veganism research (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/19-new-member-introductions/204225-veganism-research.html)

Sabine Achterberg 02-29-2016 08:16 AM

Veganism research

My name is Sabine and I'm a student.
I have been researching 'veganism' for the last five weeks,
and I have been finding Veggieboards very helpful! I have a few questions that I would like to ask and I'm hoping I can get in contact with some of you!

My questions are:
- What does a vegan lifestyle entail?
- How many people had a vegan lifestyle before the premiere of ‘Cowspiracy’?
- How many people changed to a vegan lifestyle after seeing ‘Cowspiracy’?
- What were their main motives for changing their lifestyle?
- In what extend were they based on ‘Cowspiracy’?
- What other changes did ‘Cowspiracy’ set in motion?

littlespoon 02-29-2016 12:49 PM

Are you interested in being vegan or is this for school research? Just curious

Sabine Achterberg 03-01-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlespoon (Post 3924145)
Are you interested in being vegan or is this for school research? Just curious

It's for school research, but I am actually interested in veganism. I'm a vegetarian since last year and that has been going well for me so far. I'm not sure if I could be a vegan since I love cheese, but I am very interested already and trying out new vegan recipes. Maybe one day I will become vegan! :)

Sabine Achterberg 03-01-2016 08:42 AM

I have rephrased the questions as well since I noticed they aren't personal at all and may cause confusion, and I am interested in getting these answers from vegans and thus actual experts on the topic! :)

- How many of you have had a vegan lifestyle before the premiere of ‘Cowspiracy’?
- How many of you changed to a vegan lifestyle after seeing ‘Cowspiracy’?
- If you changed your lifestyle, what were your main motives for changing it?
- What other changes did ‘Cowspiracy’ set in motion for you?

Thank you!

veganfitnessjunkie 03-01-2016 09:56 AM

I do not eat or wear any animal products. No meat dairy and eggs. No leather, wool, fur or down.

I was not vegan before seeing Cowspiracy.

Cowspiracy (and the environmental impact of animal agriculture) played a major role in my decision to go vegan.

Health, Environment, Animal Welfare. Although I don't think you need to be 100% vegan to get the health benefits of a plant based diet.

After seeing Cowspiracy, I fact checked the movie and looked more into the environmental impact of animal agriculture. My health and ethical motives were based on other information.

@rno 03-01-2016 10:16 AM

I thought that Veggieboards was only for people who want to be vegetarian or vegan....

Muttley 03-01-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @rno (Post 3924633)
I thought that Veggieboards was only for people who want to be vegetarian or vegan....

wrong, its obviously for people that need help with their homework and for people to promote their awful youtube channels, blogs, tshirts etc.

I've never watched Cowspiracy

TailFin 03-01-2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muttley (Post 3924641)
wrong, its obviously for people that need help with their homework and for people to promote their awful youtube channels, blogs, tshirts etc.

The amount of spam that gets posted on this site is ridiculous.

LedBoots 03-01-2016 12:11 PM

Quote:

OP is vegetarian

LedBoots 03-01-2016 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabine Achterberg (Post 3924033)
My name is Sabine and I'm a student.
I have been researching 'veganism' for the last five weeks,
and I have been finding Veggieboards very helpful! I have a few questions that I would like to ask and I'm hoping I can get in contact with some of you!

My questions are:
- What other changes did ‘Cowspiracy’ set in motion?

Hi Sabine and welcome to VB

My vegan lifestyle entails not eating, wearing, or using animal products as far as is practicable.

I have been vegan for over a decade. I enjoyed Cowspiracy. Meet Your Meat sent me vegan, as well as my son going vegetarian, then vegan. I didn't want to be responsible for the horrific animal abuse and death.

Since I went vegan long before Cowspiracy was filmed, it didn't influence me to go vegan. I thought it was a good film, however, and I have recommended it to meat eating friends.

TailFin 03-01-2016 12:55 PM

If you've been researching veganism for five weeks (and you've been a vegetarian for a year), I'm assuming you would be able to define veganism. Are you asking members on here to define what veganism means to them?

Why are you asking about Cowspiracy so much? Does that play a role in your paper? Can you please give us a little more information on what you're writing about?

With a sample size of two, be wary of making any definitive statements in your report.

ModVegan 03-01-2016 02:38 PM

I was vegetarian when I saw Cowspiracy, but my husband was not. Cowspiracy had a definite effect on him. He cares a great deal about the environment and Cowspiracy made him realize how inefficient and polluting animal agriculture is (even "organic" animal agriculture). Since seeing the film, he's eliminated dairy and reduced his egg intake to 1 per week. He still eats meat most Fridays (when we go out), but I'm working on him!

Since I was already vegetarian when I saw Cowspiracy, it didt change that much, but far more aware of the other animal products in my life after seeing it. In the past, I didn't really check to see if baked goods had eggs in them, etc., but now I'm much more careful about it.

LedBoots 03-01-2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TailFin (Post 3924745)
If you've been researching veganism for five weeks (and you've been a vegetarian for a year), I'm assuming you would be able to define veganism. Are you asking members on here to define what veganism means to them?

Why are you asking about Cowspiracy so much? Does that play a role in your paper? Can you please give us a little more information on what you're writing about?

With a sample size of two, be wary of making any definitive statements in your report.

I usually answer the students' surveys on here because I figure at least they are 1. Asking about vegetarianism, and 2. An actual vegan will be replying.

TailFin 03-02-2016 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LedBoots (Post 3924825)
I usually answer the students' surveys on here because I figure at least they are 1. Asking about vegetarianism, and 2. An actual vegan will be replying.

I have no qualms if this site wants to have a sub-forum specifically dedicated to the many 'surveys' that get posted here. Then, all the 'surveys' can get posted there or moved there by the mods. And people can occasionally browse and answer questions when they feel so inclined.

Many surveys? Yes. Just another one was posted here: https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60...why-vegan.html

One of my issues is that the 'survey' will not have any practical results. The survey and questions are not specifically designed, nor are they even thought out in advance. For example, and I'm not trying to pick on the OP, but you can't change the survey questions after already being posted. In addition, questions 3, 4, and 5 are not applicable if you answered yes to question 2. (Also, question 2 technically asks how many, so answering yes or no to question 2 would invalidate the results?) The questions are clearly related to Cowspiracy and how that has or has not had an impact on vegans, but we're not told that but have to infer this from reading the questions.

"It's ok, the survey is for 'school'." Ok, what class are you taking? What's the title of your report? What grade are you in? Is this high school/university? We need some sort of context so that we can tailor the responses.

For example, imagine someone you don't know and doesn't know you walks up to you on the street and asks: "what do you think of the sky?" You have absolutely no context for the question; how would you respond? A real life example of this can be found in the thread I linked earlier: the question (well, the OP of that thread never actually asked a question, they just made a statement, but anyways...): "I'm researching why people make the decision to go vegan." That OP could spend a few moments reading through articles or threads on here to figure that out, but instead, wants responses that they're going to do what with? Are they going to create a table and see how many of the same responses they have? What if they receive 10 different responses? Will they just have one big miscellaneous category? Or are they going to say vegans are wishy-washy and don't know what they want?

If we want to support to these types of surveys, fine, but move them all into one sub-forum. That way, every additional 'surveyor' can read through the previous responses, questions, and the like to figure out if they even need to have an additional survey.

SweetPotato 03-02-2016 07:26 AM

Hmm. I posted on the other one. I didn't realise it was such an issue here.

I suppose it doesn't bother me too much, perhaps it's because I'm new. If I had been here for a long time and I saw it all the time it probably would get annoying.

I wouldn't share anything I didn't want anyone knowing anyway. Or if it was a more like the questions here. I haven't answered because I am not really sure how.
Like... I did watch Cowspiracy, I searched for it and similar films during my transition from vegetarian to vegan, they helped to give me the extra encouragement and information. But I most likely still would have become vegan even if I hadn't seen it.
It's too complex for me to know how to properly respond.

Sabine Achterberg 03-04-2016 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TailFin (Post 3924745)

Hello,
First of all, thank you for your comments so far! I really appreciate it! :)

Yes I would like to know what veganism means to actual vegans. I've noticed that there are many different definitions among people so that's why I'm asking.
Sorry for the confusion/ indistinctness!
I'm a student in the Netherlands studying International communication and media, I'm in my second year now and my assignment is to research a 'trend'. We, my groupmembers and me, have chosen the topic 'veganism'. We are eager to find out more about this topic and it would help us a lot to get these answers from actual vegans/experts.
We want to find out how and in what extent 'Cowspiracy' played a role in the increase of people becoming vegan.

Again, I'm really sorry for the confusion, I realize I should have been more clear and give a deeper explanation!

Lyn 03-05-2016 08:27 PM

Quote:

I know I'm new here, but it seems we should welcome posts and questions from people just sincerely curious about vegetarianism and veganism, whether it be for a school project, or they just heard about them.

@rno 03-06-2016 03:58 AM

This is a safe heaven for vegetarians.

LedBoots 03-06-2016 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyn (Post 3927649)
I know I'm new here, but it seems we should welcome posts and questions from people just sincerely curious about vegetarianism and veganism, whether it be for a school project, or they just heard about them.

Hi Lyn and welcome. :)

It would be nice to be able to answer sincere questions and concerns from non-veggies, but it doesn't work that way, unfortunately. People just come and troll, as vegan trolling is apparently a popular activity. Read the youtube comments on anything involving veganism, and you'll see what I mean.

This board has been around for more than a decade, and there have been numerous instances of trolls clogging up the board with "questions" like What If You Were Stranded On A Desert Island With Only A Cow" and statements like "I Knew a Vegan Once Who Got Really Sick And I Have To Eat Meat Because Of Some Mysterious Illness Or Condition". We were once raided by members of a duck hunting board.

This is the only place we can talk about veg*nism without having to defend, explain, read rude comments about All The Rude Vegans, etc. This is our haven. There are thousands of places on the web for omnis to ***** about vegetarians. Let's not add Veggieboards to the list.

Naturebound 03-06-2016 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyn (Post 3927649)

There is actually a rule here that members must be either vegetarian, vegan, or moving in that direction to participate on the boards. I understand that the OP is a vegetarian, so this is not an issue in their case.