New Australian Vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SweetPotato

#1 Old 02-26-2016, 01:18 AM

New Australian Vegan

Hi! Oh um, awkward introductions.

When I was about 14 I decided to become vegetarian. I had been thinking about it for a while and I remember I was looking at my sandwich at school and right then and there threw it into the bin and made the announcement to my friends.
At first my mother scoffed, as I knew she would. But I guess knowing how much I loved animals it wasn't too much of a shock! And she was quickly wonderful at accommodating me! Which I am so grateful for. When I hear of younger kids and teens wanting to go veg and being unable because of their families to it breaks my heart.

Anyway, sadly, when I was about 20 I started eating meat again for a couple of years. Cognitive dissonance and laziness I suppose.
I am disappointed in myself, but what can you do?

A friend who lives out near the wheat belt found an orphan new born lamb by the side of the road (she's one of these people who just attracts strays, she's also vegan) She was unable to look after it. These lil babies need a lot of feeding! So she asked if I wanted to take her in. I graciously accepted (honestly, I was overjoyed) I called her Lucy. I loved her to pieces. I've never loved another creature like that. I've always loved animals, but she was like my baby. She was such a sweet trusting innocent angel.
Then I realized I had to stop eating lamb again... and every other animal too.

Then, about a month ago, I saw a video of the boy chicks from the egg industry being minced. And for the life of me I could not get the images out of my head.
I realized I would have to go vegan.
But I started freaking out about it. Mostly about how I would deal with other people. I have some, uh, mental illness anxiety/depression issues that I wont get into here.

I went looking for resources to help and give me that little boost. I found that Best Speech You Will Ever Hear by Gary Yourofsky. Which... Although I agreed with what he was saying. It was way too aggressive for me. Especially as I was already feeling somewhat overwhelmed by it all and was already on the way to changing. So I kept looking and found Freelee the Banana girl who I just couldn't connect with. At this point I started wondering if maybe I wasn't suited to going vegan.
But then I found Bite Size Vegan and Mic. the Vegan and eeep! I love them so much! I have been meaning to write them messages saying thank you.
And they've inspired me to start making my art with more veg awareness!

I'm kind of a closet vegan at this point. Although my partner knows.
I guess I'm still transitioning. I am very far from perfect. So, please be aware of that, and try not to be too harsh if I'm making a poop load of mistakes. But I am doing what I can and learning more all the time.

But, here I am! I thought joining might help on those days when I feel alone and depressed about the injustice of it all and become too frustrated by of all of the "plants tho" "canines tho" comments. XD

I"m sorry this was so long. I kind of love it on other forums when people leave long intros... so... uh.

If you read the whole thing you deserve a vegan cookie. :P
SitaYunxin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2016, 01:47 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#3 Old 02-26-2016, 01:51 PM

Thank you ^_^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-26-2016, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome and well done on recently switching to vegan. I'm Australian too! From Melbourne, where are you from?
#5 Old 02-26-2016, 08:13 PM

Hi! Thank you ^_^ I'm in Perth. But I was born in Melbourne! We're getting a Lord of the Fries here soon. Hooray vegan fast food! Haha.
#6 Old 02-26-2016, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPotato View Post
Hi! Thank you ^_^ I'm in Perth. But I was born in Melbourne! We're getting a Lord of the Fries here soon. Hooray vegan fast food! Haha.
Amazing! I had LOTF last night haha. My closest store is a 15 minute walk away, it's very hard to stop myself from getting it way more than I should.
#7 Old 02-26-2016, 08:44 PM

Oh! Jealous! I'm going to have to go all the way into the city. That's probably a good thing though. :P
#8 Old 02-26-2016, 09:09 PM
Beginner

Cool screen name!
#9 Old 02-26-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie man View Post
Cool screen name!
Thank you!
I love your elephant photo! How gorgeous!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page