New Vegan in LA - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By silva

#1 Old 02-26-2016, 12:47 AM
Lyn

New Vegan in LA

Hi! My name is Lyn, I've been a vegan for about 3 days. After seeing the horrible cruelty animals go through while being used to produce food, I couldn't justify eating meat, milk or eggs anymore. I'm surprised that I don't crave meat, but I am curious about the vegan meat substitutes. I want to keep my diet as "normal" as I can. (Close to my previous diet.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2016, 02:48 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#3 Old 02-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
Hi! My name is Lyn, I've been a vegan for about 3 days. After seeing the horrible cruelty animals go through while being used to produce food, I couldn't justify eating meat, milk or eggs anymore. I'm surprised that I don't crave meat, but I am curious about the vegan meat substitutes. I want to keep my diet as "normal" as I can. (Close to my previous diet.)
Welcome to the boards and the lifestyle.

We're blessed these days to have a plethora of 'faux meat' products to choose from--if we so desire. You're going to see that some of us love them and others don't. And that's fine. Do whatever works best for you. My reasons for not eating meat have nothing to do with the taste of meat, but the cruelty involved in it, therefore I have no problem eating products that mimic the real thing. Other people feel differently. I'd say give everything a try as you're settling in to whatever YOUR specific version of this lifestyle turns out to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-26-2016, 11:24 PM
Lyn

Thank you for the welcome. Tried my first meat substitute today.
#5 Old 02-27-2016, 12:23 AM

Hi Lyn! Nice to meet you! I'm new too.

What did you think of the meat substitute you tried? Some are better than others.
I like them generally though. I guess for me it's because I am kinda lazy. Especially when I'm just cooking for myself.
#6 Old 02-27-2016, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Lyn and welcome! I am not a huge fan of meat substitutes, but there are a few I like from time to time. I like Field Roast "sausages" and Beyond Meat grilled chi*kn strips. Once in a great while I will have vegan bocca burgers. My omni partner likes those. Not a fan of tofurkey stuff though others like them. Meat subs are fairly expensive compared to making your own veggie burgers, nuggets etc. But they are great in a pinch. I am currenlty staying in a hotel and had bocca burgers last night, and a salad and vegan potato salad. It was a nice "picnic" style meal.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 02-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Lyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPotato View Post
Hi Lyn! Nice to meet you! I'm new too.

What did you think of the meat substitute you tried? Some are better than others.
I like them generally though. I guess for me it's because I am kinda lazy. Especially when I'm just cooking for myself.
Hi SweetPotato!
I tried Tofurky Kielbasa. Don't know what I was expecting, but on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being flat out nasty, and 5 being "I wouldn't have known it's not meat if you had not told me", it was a 2. The other possibility I was considering was that it wouldn't resemble meat at all, but it was still good in its own right. It was just way too mushy and salty.
I'm going to try a few other brands/types, but if this is representative, I'll just accept the fact I'm not eating meat. Do you have any recommendations?
#8 Old 02-27-2016, 11:37 AM
Lyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Hi Lyn and welcome! I am not a huge fan of meat substitutes, but there are a few I like from time to time. I like Field Roast "sausages" and Beyond Meat grilled chi*kn strips. Once in a great while I will have vegan bocca burgers. My omni partner likes those. Not a fan of tofurkey stuff though others like them. Meat subs are fairly expensive compared to making your own veggie burgers, nuggets etc. But they are great in a pinch. I am currenlty staying in a hotel and had bocca burgers last night, and a salad and vegan potato salad. It was a nice "picnic" style meal.
Thanks for the welcome! I have a feeling I'm just going to accept the fact I don't eat meat, and won't use substitutes. But I liked the soy milk I tried (Simple Truth Vanilla) better than cow's milk.
#9 Old 02-27-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Hi SweetPotato!
I tried Tofurky Kielbasa. Don't know what I was expecting, but on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being flat out nasty, and 5 being "I wouldn't have known it's not meat if you had not told me", it was a 2. The other possibility I was considering was that it wouldn't resemble meat at all, but it was still good in its own right. It was just way too mushy and salty.
I'm going to try a few other brands/types, but if this is representative, I'll just accept the fact I'm not eating meat. Do you have any recommendations?

I've never actually tried Tofurky before. I have always wanted to because I've heard people say it's good. I'm sorry you didn't like it.

My recommendations probably wouldn't be too helpful for you because it varies so much on where we live.
The reason I like the veggie meats is because where I live there is a restaurant in the city that is fantastic.
It's been a long time since I've gone there. I need to go again.
They have a market next door to it where you can buy some of their(mostly) vegan products. It's all from international places like Malaysia and Taiwan where veganism is more widespread.
Some are meh, but the "chicken" satay stick things. Oh my god. Amazing.
As for the supermarket stuff here. I think you guys would have more variety. But there is a brand here called "Fry's"
That is probably my favourite.
http://www.frysvegetarian.com.au/

I wish I could be more helpful.

But either way, it wont be meat. It won't have the same... Density? But it can be an interesting new thing to explore and can make the transition easier. It's probably best to try mixing it into other things. Like strips instead of chicken in a stir-fry with some veggies, rather than as the main separate solid chunk like you would with meat.
#10 Old 02-27-2016, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

It's been years that I tried the keilbasi type, but I do like Tofurky Italian sausage, with pasta, or on an Italian roll with peppers and onions! I buy it at Trader Joes, if you have a TJ's, they have some good stuff! Let me know before I say anything...
Gardien has these fishless fillets I love- and i didn't miss fish at all. they're just good, with a beer batter type breading, and good flavor and texture.

Heres my favorite (current) recipe for mushroom seitan:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2014/11...tan-roast.html
and one for deli slices for great sandwiches like gyros or reubans-
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/09...lunchmeat.html

The packaged deli slices are okay for that too, I just find it so much cheaper, and better, homemade

tofu-- really good stuff. I don't any prep like pressing, or freezing (hate freezing, gives a texture some like). I mostly just cube and add seasoning. sautee with other veggies, grains, noodles. Sometimes i like to shake and lightly fry it. I put panko bread crumbs, some cornstarch, and seasoning in a bag, cube the tofu and sprinkle some Braggs aminos on (like a soy sauce, but my favorite- not needed)and sautee in a lightly oiled cast iron till browned. You can also bake.

Boca has vegan chik' patties and nuggets I like a lot. I find them cheaper than Gardein, but Gardein are better. Great for adding hot sauce
#11 Old 02-27-2016, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Don't expect it be apple to apples. Plant based foods are good in their own right and not so good if you treat them as you would meat. I remember trying something vegan labeled chik'n scallopini (I think- it was Gardein?) I didn't like it, then talked with a couple who said try it breaded in seasoned flour and sauteed. My kids said it tasted just like breaded pork chops. It was not the prep the bag advised!
Anyway, just saying it takes finding what you like. Like vegan chease- I've never found one good cold-like really nasty- but on certain foods, melted on top like a sauce, they're great for adding that quality. Like enchiladas. Vegan mozz melts more like a queso (?) topping

this is really good--
VeggieSince88 and LedBoots like this.
#12 Old 02-27-2016, 07:25 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPotato View Post
I've never actually tried Tofurky before. I have always wanted to because I've heard people say it's good. I'm sorry you didn't like it.
Something I've learned is not to write off ALL products from a faux meat company just because I didn't like ONE of them. I LOVE every Tofurky product I've tried--except one, and I'm pretty sure it was their Kielbasa. Ditto for other brands, like Boca, Morningstar Farms, Gardein, etc., there might be one product I don't like but a whole bunch of others I really do like.

Tofurky's "cold cuts" (like Hickory or Original Deli Slices) are good--and my omni friends/relatives who've had them for lunch over here agree.
#13 Old 02-27-2016, 10:18 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Mercy For Animals has a beautifully-illustrated Vegetarian (actually vegan) Starter Guide, free to download. It summarizes vegan nutrition on page 7, and very easy meal ideas are shown on pages 11-13: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#14 Old 02-28-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
Something I've learned is not to write off ALL products from a faux meat company just because I didn't like ONE of them.
Oh sorry! I probably should have gone into more detail there... But my gosh. My posts are long enough as it is! Haha!
We don't have any Tofurkey products all in Australia. At least as far as I am aware.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page