Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By odizzido
  • 2 Post By tahliarose
  • 2 Post By odizzido
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 01-24-2016, 07:48 AM

Hello :)

Hi everyone! I've recently been thinking about becoming a vegan. I currently eat meat at the moment, and some dairy (not a lot or often, I prefer soy milk and soy products just due to taste). I've recently been stalking the PETA page of facebook and the videos have me heartbroken especially since I am a cause for it and the reason the animals are going through all that, I feel very guilty. But on the other hand I enjoy meat as long as I don't think about where it's come from. I'm very confused on what I want at the moment! Becoming a vegan seems the right thing to do, but not the easy thing! Especially since I'm such a picky eater and don't like a lot of foods.

I found this forum through a search on tapatalk and I'm basically looking for more information on this lifestyle change and the confidence that I can do it. I have horrible issues if I start something and fail!

I'm hoping I'm accepted into the forum as a current meat eater, but I am really considering the change over and just want to know for sure I can do it before I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2016, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you cook at all? What I would suggest is trying out some vegan recipes. You don't need to switch over right away. Maybe on tuesday you can try making something vegan. If you like it great....if not look for something else to try maybe thursday or friday.

Once you get a number of vegan dishes you like maybe try making them 2-3 days in a row. Eventually it should be easy to make vegan food 7 days a week.
#3 Old 01-24-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
Do you cook at all? What I would suggest is trying out some vegan recipes. You don't need to switch over right away. Maybe on tuesday you can try making something vegan. If you like it great....if not look for something else to try maybe thursday or friday.

Once you get a number of vegan dishes you like maybe try making them 2-3 days in a row. Eventually it should be easy to make vegan food 7 days a week.
That's brilliant advice, thank you! I always thought it would be all or nothing, I never really thought of transitioning bit by bit. I have a friend who is vegan and he has good intentions of trying to persuade me to go vegan, but his attitude is I should just go completely vegan all at once and cut everything out all together but I don't feel ready for that. I don't want to set myself up for failure and be stuck eating meat forever because I'm afraid of failing again.
LedBoots and Jenn2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

They're just excited that you are looking to transition is all. Some people cut everything out at once, others do it over time. Only you know the best way for you.
LedBoots and Jenn2 like this.
#5 Old 01-24-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
They're just excited that you are looking to transition is all. Some people cut everything out at once, others do it over time. Only you know the best way for you.
I think I'll try the transition method, maybe I'll just try 1 vegan meal a day until I figure out more foods I can have. Thank you for your advice
#6 Old 01-24-2016, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Hope it works out for you If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
#7 Old 01-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

how about you focus on just vegetarian?
Being vegan is strict- it's far more than just no meat, dairy or eggs-it's excluding anything made by the explotation of animals.
I don't even call myself a vegan anymore as I still take D3 that's made with lanolin, don't obsess over things like things that may be in breads or pizza crusts.
Strict vegetarians avoid all meat dairy and eggs but still give themselves leeway.
Start by changing your view on what food is, and what plant foods can replace meat in what you usually eat.
It is a big learing curve, but you will astounded by how much you didn't know! A plant based diet is really more varied than they usual meat centric diet. It's also incredibly clean, pratical, and can be much more affordable. It can be as healthy or unhealthy as you make it, as calorie rich or lean
#8 Old 01-24-2016, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

These videos and blogs may give you better ideas-
http://thevegantruth.blogspot.com/20...nce-birth.html
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/
http://nutritionfacts.org/

Search veg books on amazon.com and do the 'look inside'. You'll find lots of recipes and get an overview.
Resist the temptation to spend money on things you've never heard of just because it comes up in books.
LedBoots likes this.
#9 Old 01-24-2016, 03:29 PM
Beginner

Sup.

Try vegetarian for a few weeks, see how that goes. Go vegan if you feel good (you will).

It sounds like you've educated yourself about how animals are treated, there's no going back now. It can seem quite daunting, but it really isn't.
#10 Old 01-25-2016, 08:34 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page