Caught Myself by Surprise... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By Agent Houlihan
  • 1 Post By Thalassa4
  • 1 Post By Agent Houlihan
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 01-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 2
Caught Myself by Surprise...

Hi All,

I'm new here, and arrived rather unexpectedly. I'm in my mid-30's and have been a casual runner for a while, doing 10k runs with a friend. My eating habits have varied over the years, but I wouldn't characterize them as unhealthy.

Recently I decided to start training for a half-marathon, and while it's been going well overall, there were some struggles. It was pointed out to me that while I was going all in with the running, I hadn't changed any eating or drinking habits (I'll blame the holiday season for that :P). So I cut out most alcohol, increased my water intake, and started looking more closely at my eating habits, which brings me here.

I started really looking at the food I was eating, and made several changes that just happen to involve less meat. While I don't call myself a vegetarian yet, I can see moving further in that direction. I've been experimenting with tofu in dinners, and different ways to make salads for lunch at work. I haven't found it particularly difficult to make these changes, but I thought a community like this may be useful as I explore eating more like a vegetarian!
LedBoots, QuietVegan and Jenn2 like this.
Agent Houlihan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 01-12-2016, 06:25 PM
Beginner
 
QuietVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 123
Hello and welcome great to hear you are moving towards a healthier and more compassionate lifestyle x

I work with a lovely man who has moved towards a 99% vegan diet for health reasons. He runs marathons and does tough mudder etc. and finds a plant based diet works very well for him. He's not doing it for ethical reasons (watched Earthlings and admitted it had no emotional effect on him) but recognises the benefits in terms of his own health. Any reduction in meat/egg/dairy consumption is a win for the animals so I couldn't give a flying fig why he's doing it!

There are lots of runners/athletes on the forum so plenty of good advice re: training and diet.

(I so wanted to call you HotLips, after the M.A.S.H character!)
QuietVegan is offline  
#3 Old 01-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,659
Welcome aboard!

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
David3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 01-12-2016, 08:37 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietVegan View Post
Hello and welcome great to hear you are moving towards a healthier and more compassionate lifestyle x

I work with a lovely man who has moved towards a 99% vegan diet for health reasons. He runs marathons and does tough mudder etc. and finds a plant based diet works very well for him. He's not doing it for ethical reasons (watched Earthlings and admitted it had no emotional effect on him) but recognises the benefits in terms of his own health. Any reduction in meat/egg/dairy consumption is a win for the animals so I couldn't give a flying fig why he's doing it!

There are lots of runners/athletes on the forum so plenty of good advice re: training and diet.

(I so wanted to call you HotLips, after the M.A.S.H character!)

Have him watch Cowspiracy. I saw a VERY interesting YouTube response from an individual I'd otherwise consider an idiot with his head up his ass, one of those who denies global warming. ..but as he rambled on and on, he finally came to the conclusion in about 20 minutes that it disturbed him deeply that the beef industry - any one industry - had that much global political power that seemed mafia-like.

While a percentage of the population will do it "for the animals" it's extremely important to show people how holistic the reasons are, if you don't, they'll drop veganism when the next fad diet comes along.
LedBoots likes this.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#5 Old 01-12-2016, 08:39 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Hello and welcome! There are so many healthful options besides tofu, I hope you have fun learning new recipes.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#6 Old 01-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 2
I saw cowspiracy a couple of weeks ago on someones recommendation. It definitely raised some interesting questions.
Thalassa4 likes this.
Agent Houlihan is offline  
#7 Old 01-13-2016, 02:49 AM
Beginner
 
QuietVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
Have him watch Cowspiracy. I saw a VERY interesting YouTube response from an individual I'd otherwise consider an idiot with his head up his ass, one of those who denies global warming. ..but as he rambled on and on, he finally came to the conclusion in about 20 minutes that it disturbed him deeply that the beef industry - any one industry - had that much global political power that seemed mafia-like.

While a percentage of the population will do it "for the animals" it's extremely important to show people how holistic the reasons are, if you don't, they'll drop veganism when the next fad diet comes along.
He doesn't have his head up his bum, he knows what goes on in factory farms and slaughterhouses. He is just very pragmatic and reacts in a 'practical' rather than emotional way to things. To be honest he's probably already seen Cowspiracy. Films and videos won't get an emotional reaction from him because his mind simply isn't wired that way. Doing it for reasons of health and environmental impact make more sense to him.

The fact he eats 99% vegan (for whatever reason) is good enough for me. He is demonstrating to the other athletes around him that you can be strong and fit on a plant based diet. Not everyone does it for the animals and I'm learning to accept that.
QuietVegan is offline  
#8 Old 01-13-2016, 03:09 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,608
Welcome Agent Houlihan! Best wishes with your half marathon!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#9 Old 01-13-2016, 04:29 AM
Lifelong vegetarian
 
@rno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,617
Welcome,

My brother (a born vegetarian) did half-marathons until he was 78 years old. (I don't know at what age he started, but he did it for a long time.)

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
@rno is offline  
#10 Old 01-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Newbie
 
tokyobags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Houlihan View Post
Hi All,

I'm new here, and arrived rather unexpectedly. I'm in my mid-30's and have been a casual runner for a while, doing 10k runs with a friend. My eating habits have varied over the years, but I wouldn't characterize them as unhealthy.

Recently I decided to start training for a half-marathon, and while it's been going well overall, there were some struggles. It was pointed out to me that while I was going all in with the running, I hadn't changed any eating or drinking habits (I'll blame the holiday season for that :P). So I cut out most alcohol, increased my water intake, and started looking more closely at my eating habits, which brings me here.

I started really looking at the food I was eating, and made several changes that just happen to involve less meat. While I don't call myself a vegetarian yet, I can see moving further in that direction. I've been experimenting with tofu in dinners, and different ways to make salads for lunch at work. I haven't found it particularly difficult to make these changes, but I thought a community like this may be useful as I explore eating more like a vegetarian!
hello and welcome!

I have to say you are on the right track! A common mistake which many who are new to the vegetarian/vegan diet makes is that they jump into it too quickly, by totally eliminating what they have been usually eating for years.

The human body is made up of living organic cells. Its take longer than what we usually expect for our body to adapt to a new diet.

Hence, starting slow is always go! Being a vegan for more than 10 years, when i first transit, it was rather tough too.

I would say if you are at around 30% of your diet being vegetarian now, try increasing by 10 percent every month. Most people takes around half a year to a complete year for the body to be fully acustomed to the new diet.

Let us know how it goes! Thats what we are here for!

Proudly Asian Vegan for 10 Years

Visit Our Family Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for 100% Vegan Bags.

We handcraft bags ranging from backpacks to briefcases for all men and women.
We ship worldwide too.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tokyobags is offline  
#11 Old 01-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietVegan View Post
He doesn't have his head up his bum, he knows what goes on in factory farms and slaughterhouses. He is just very pragmatic and reacts in a 'practical' rather than emotional way to things. To be honest he's probably already seen Cowspiracy. Films and videos won't get an emotional reaction from him because his mind simply isn't wired that way. Doing it for reasons of health and environmental impact make more sense to him.

The fact he eats 99% vegan (for whatever reason) is good enough for me. He is demonstrating to the other athletes around him that you can be strong and fit on a plant based diet. Not everyone does it for the animals and I'm learning to accept that.
I never said your friend had his head up his bum, the guy in the YouTube video comes across as a rambling cynical neoconservative drunk, and Cowspiracy still made him question his choices...I'm saying if it had that effect on that guy, it has enough info to convince many rational people. ..the reasons in Cowspiracy aren't emotional, it's evidence in terms of environmental impact as well as corporate corruption.

If your friend is already aware of environmental reasons, then he's probably pretty solid. I made my comment because some people only try it because they want to look like Rich Roll!
Thalassa4 is offline  
#12 Old 01-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Beginner
 
QuietVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
I never said your friend had his head up his bum, the guy in the YouTube video comes across as a rambling cynical neoconservative drunk
Ah right, sorry I was half asleep when I replied and misinterpreted your comment. I only got 2 hours sleep last night *feeling spaced out*
QuietVegan is offline  
#13 Old 01-13-2016, 04:28 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietVegan View Post
Ah right, sorry I was half asleep when I replied and misinterpreted your comment. I only got 2 hours sleep last night *feeling spaced out*
That's the worst! Get some rest I apologize if the misunderstanding came from my wording, I can come across as pretty direct, but I definitely meant the person in the video, not your friend.
Thalassa4 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off