Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By veganfitnessjunkie
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 01-12-2016, 10:42 AM
Lilianna Arvizu

Carbs

Hello everyone, my name is Lilianna. I've been a vegetarian for about 4 months now. I've always had weight problems as in I can't gain weight at all. So losing weight right now because I'm eating much healthier is getting real sad because I don't want to be under weight. Anyone know of good carbs that will help my problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

(Sweet) Potatoes, Pasta, rice. Nuts and seeds tend to be high in good fats and calories, so they may help too.
Maybe avoid eating too many foods that are high in fiber (although make sure you are still getting some), as fiber makes you feel full quicker. And of course, make sure you are eating a good amount of calories (this is the most important). What do your meals/days consist of in terms of food?

You can use an app like fitness pal to track your calories, etc.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 01-12-2016, 07:33 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Lilliana,

Not eating enough calories is one of the most common mistakes made by new vegetarians (and even by experienced vegetarians). This mistake is easy to make, because whole plant foods are low in calories, compared even to "low fat" meats.

It is easy to make sure that you get enough calories. First, use an online "calorie needs" calculator to see how many calories you need per day. Be sure to select the "Gain Weight" option: http://www.calorieking.com/interacti...u-eat/?ref=nav

Then, just remember this calorie rule-of-thumb:

One cup of boiled beans or lentils contains about 230 calories

One cup of grains or pasta contains about 200 calories

One cup of fresh (not dried) fruit contains 40-100 calories

One cup of non-starchy vegetables (spinach, kale, etc.) contains 5-40 calories

One cup of nuts or seeds contains 650-1000 calories

You are 100% correct that healthy carbs can help you reach a healthy weight. Examples are whole grain pasta, oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain bread, potatoes (any kind), beans, lard-free whole wheat or corn tortillas, and many others.

Mercy For Animals has a beautifully-illustrated Vegetarian Starter Guide, free to download. The nutrition part of the guide starts on page 7, and very easy meal ideas are shown on pages 11-13: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf
maremare likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-12-2016, 08:16 PM

Eat nutritious, but calorically dense foods like nuts, seeds and avocados. Find healthy foods you can eat in large portions. Try making shakes out of nut butters, fruit and plant milks.

I would stick to whole grains/ root vegetables for carbs. Whole grain pasta or homemade sweet potato fries are a good option.

Follow the advice of plant based bodybuilders during their "bulking" phase.

Since you aren't vegan, then dairy would also be an option.

Read this:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/gain-weight-vegan/
David3 likes this.
#5 Old 01-12-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Mercy For Animals has a beautifully-illustrated Vegetarian Starter Guide, free to download. The nutrition part of the guide starts on page 7, and very easy meal ideas are shown on pages 11-13: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf
Ooh, thank you for sharing this, the number of servings of what foods is very helpful as someone who has bounced around from various diets and was a junk food vegetarian before. I think learning to not be scared of healthy carbs might be one of the hardest things for me.
#6 Old 01-13-2016, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganfitnessjunkie View Post
Eat nutritious, but calorically dense foods like nuts, seeds and avocados. Find healthy foods you can eat in large portions. Try making shakes out of nut butters, fruit and plant milks.

I would stick to whole grains/ root vegetables for carbs. Whole grain pasta or homemade sweet potato fries are a good option.

Follow the advice of plant based bodybuilders during their "bulking" phase.

Since you aren't vegan, then dairy would also be an option.

Read this:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/gain-weight-vegan/
LOL I did this when I needed to gain a lot of weight to get healthy as a vegan. I read "Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness" by Robert Cheeke. Sometimes I had to eat upwards of 3000-4000 calories to gain weight (which is like regular to light consumption for him). I am a 40 something year old post surgically menopausal woman with hypothyroidism, so weight gain isn't that hard for me, but I am also active and sort of a health nut as far as what I eat. And still somewhat cautious.

I'm not too big on tons of high fat foods, even in my weight gain phase, because my body can't physically handle a lot of high fat food without becoming ill. I did consume a few servings each day of peanut butter, or almonds, or stuff like homemade avocado basil pesto on pasta.

I also made homemade whole wheat bread and added stuff like flaxmeal, sesame seeds, and molasses to it to make it a little richer. Then enjoyed sandwiches like hummus/red pepper/sprouts, or peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Or tempeh and sauerkraut sandwiches.

I also drank full fat plant milks or higher calorie ones like full fat soy milk, full fat almond milk, hemp milk (even the unsweetened is higher calorie), rice milk.

And I ate, and still eat, four meals a day evenly spaced out. In my full on weight gain phase I ate six meals a day because I could not eat a ton of food all at once. Some "meals" were snacks like an energy bar and a class of soy milk.

Also, raw grains like oat groats or buckwheat groats can be soaked overnight and eaten as is with dried fruit and seeds added. A cup of raw grain would be double the calories as a cup of cooked grain, and more nutrient dense because the water content is lower and food content higher. And it is not too filling with a lower water content. The same goes with pureeing beans and making a dip and having that over rice, or pasta, or in a sandwich as opposed to the whole bean. White bean garlic dip is one of my favorites!

For fruits, choose more dense ones like bananas, pineapple, pears.

And don't forget to enjoy a plant based dessert on occasion.
David3 likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 01-13-2016, 03:24 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Welcome to VB. As you can see, there is a lot of support here,

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page