• 1 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By Poppy
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 01-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Beginner

vegetarian in transition to vegan :)

Hi all,

Here's my story:
I come from a family where a meal wasn't considered a good meal unless it had meat in it. My husband was addicted. So was I. Until a year and a half ago, we had too much...and then I saw a youtube video where someone called it 'animal flesh'. Something about that term grossed me out and I just couldn't choke down meat, chicken or seafood since then.

The effects? My husband cut down on his meat drastically because it would be just for him and our son (who barely eats anything). We ate a TON more vegetables (sometimes, dinner was literally a bowl of frozen peas and corn...we didn't know what to eat) I lost weight...a couple of months later, our fertility issues disappeared and we became pregnant with our daughter!

This past November, I finally became more open to watching documentaries. I became more aware of the ethical and environmental issues and inspired my friend and her husband to try a vegetarian diet. Like magic, our local grocery store opened a 'health food' section featuring organic food and substitutes for meat and dairy. And now I stumbled upon this forum. It is as though the pieces to transition to veganism are all here in front of me...how can I not try?

The transition to vegan is tougher than I thought. I'm done with dairy, done with eggs...slowly working on the rest. Analyzing ingredient lists, researching companies, saving up to replace the leather things in my house...it is WAY more overwhelming than simply picking out meat from my meal at family gatherings because it 'makes me sick'. (btw, what have other people done with leather furniture after their transition? donate? throw it out?)

Thanks for letting me tell you my story. I am grateful for these forums and the support they provide for these drastic lifestyle changes. I especially love the 'what did you eat today' forum - it has such good ideas for day-to-day meals!

Cheers!
skinnieminnie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-11-2016, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

When researching companies, you'll find that even companies that sell vegan products are not entirely vegan.

Regarding that, I agree with Gary Yourofsky in this video:

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 01-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
When researching companies, you'll find that even companies that sell vegan products are not entirely vegan.

Regarding that, I agree with Gary Yourofsky in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIIF3Y3qMLg
Thanks for this video jessandreia! It makes perfect sense and lifts a weight off of my shoulders!!
jessandreia likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-11-2016, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't throw anything that could still be used in the garbage. First I would chose to donate anywhere that gives things away-womans shelters, homeless shelters, transitional housing. Second choice to charities that provide services to disadvantaged like Goodwill,or take them to drop off boxes.
Even real fur can be donated to animal rescues for orphaned animal babies.

While I oppose the leather industry I still ok whats done as it can serve its purpose for people who use it for a long time. I'd rather they bought used.
Jenn2 likes this.
#5 Old 01-11-2016, 06:12 PM
Ankle Biter

I've been vegan for 10 years and we still have a leather chair in the living room. It was bought for my husband in 2000, when he was going through chemo, and we still have it. When I replaced my car in 2010, I chose one with a no-leather interior. And over the years, we've replaced wool rugs with synthetic, down pillows with down alternative, and replaced a leather cube with a rope one. But we still have that chair…

I honestly wouldn't worry about replacing anything now - you've already got enough to keep you busy! Concentrate on what you eat and new products you need to buy. Use up your non-vegan consumables and replace those with vegan ones as they run out. Enjoy this time - it should be fun! And the vegan police? They're just a bunch of blowhards.
Ladyjay and Jenn2 like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 01-12-2016, 03:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Jenn and welcome! It IS overwhelming in the beginning trying to figure it all out. I remember when I was new at being vegan, I would analyze everything I did and thought about all day...from the toothbrush and paste I used, to the clothes I wore, to the negative thoughts in my head (eg "you eat like a pig" to self), to what I cleaned with and what I put ON my body as well as in, to my wallet. The food transition was indeed the easier part. And then throw in the social aspects and living in a society that promotes meat/dairy and glorifies the use of animals in everything. Focusing on the positives of being vegan and what I can do and have, really helped a lot. Fortunately it is becoming ever easier now to be vegan. I really feel like I simplified my life when I went vegan in many ways. And it has helped me become more assertive and stand up for beliefs instead of always following the crowd.

There is no need to try to be perfect and pure in every sense. I know it can be frustrating because some omnivores like to call us "hypocrites" when they see an inconsistency, instead of focusing on doing something themselves to stop or reduce the exploitation of animals and humans.

Over time it gets easier and everything comes more naturally.

One thing I like about new vegans though is that they remind the oldies not to become too complacent. Veganism is a conscious choice we make every day and that should never stop.
Jenn2 likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page