VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/19-new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Returning to Vegetarianism (Pescetarianism?) (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/19-new-member-introductions/199585-returning-vegetarianism-pescetarianism.html)

maremare 01-10-2016 11:45 PM

Returning to Vegetarianism (Pescetarianism?)

Hi all, I just registered and am returning to eating a vegetarian (or probably pescetarian) diet like I ate when I was in high school (now in my mid-30's). Well, not just like then, I remember living on bagels, eggplant, and Wendy's jr cheeseburger deluxes, minus the meat.

I'm excited to look around the forum and find some new recipes and ideas! I live with family members that are all very "meat and potatoes" so it's always been a struggle being the odd one out as far as liking what they consider to be weird foods.

@rno 01-11-2016 04:18 AM

For me dead animals is weird food.

no whey jose 01-11-2016 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @rno (Post 3872817)
For me dead animals is weird food.

This! Whenever a meat-eater describes something I'm eating as weird or gross, I can't stop myself from saying, "Really? This, coming from someone who literally eats corpses?"

Jenn2 01-11-2016 01:03 PM

congrats maremare, you can do it! Maybe one of your family members will become curious about your meals...you just never know! ;)

Poppy 01-11-2016 03:36 PM

Much fish today is raised in completely filthy conditions, by people who are practically slaves to the fish growers. Most wild caught fish wastes more lives of other species (even dolphins) than the intended catch and is very likely mislabeled. In fact, most fresh fish you buy in American grocery stores has been frozen at least twice. So, you may wish to reconsider going pescatarian.

maremare 01-11-2016 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn2 (Post 3873321)
congrats maremare, you can do it! Maybe one of your family members will become curious about your meals...you just never know! ;)

My nephews are actually the most likely to eat the veggie meals I cook, the youngest one was eatting some raw zucchini when I was cooking it tonight. They are good little vegetable eaters.

maremare 01-11-2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppy (Post 3873521)
Much fish today is raised in completely filthy conditions, by people who are practically slaves to the fish growers. Most wild caught fish wastes more lives of other species (even dolphins) than the intended catch and is very likely mislabeled. In fact, most fresh fish you buy in American grocery stores has been frozen at least twice. So, you may wish to reconsider going pescatarian.

Maybe eventually but for now I'm fine with my choice. I know myself well enough to know that baby steps are easier for me to work with and more likely that I'll stick with something in the long run than if I go full speed, balls to the walls to begin with. But thank you, and I will do some research :)