Hello! Thinking about going vegetarian:) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Tokakun
  • 1 Post By LedBoots

#1 Old 01-04-2016, 07:46 PM

Talking Hello! Thinking about going vegetarian:)

Hi, I'm new here and I've been thinking about going vegetarian for various reasons.

I joined for the support and tips from you guys to help keep me on track.

I haven't started yet, so please don't shame me for eating meat at this moment. I want a positive transition into vegetarianism!

I hope to make some friends while I'm here as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-04-2016, 07:56 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Tokakun,

No one in this forum should shame a transitioning vegetarian who is still eating meat. If you receive this kind of treatment, immediately report the post to the Moderators (by clicking the "!" symbol to the lower-left of the post).

You don't need to become vegetarian overnight. It can be easier if you first find 5 or 6 vegetarian dishes that you really enjoy, and that really satisfy you. These dishes might be vegetarian versions of dishes that you already enjoy - burgers, burritos, spaghetti, soup, etc. Most supermarkets have meatless burgers and hot dogs in the frozen foods section.

Mercy For Animals has a very nicely-written Vegetarian Starter Guide. The nutrition part of the guide begins on page 7. There are very simple, fully-illustrated meal ideas on pages 11-13: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 01-04-2016, 08:13 PM

Thank you, David!

I've been part of vegan/vegetarian groups on facebook, and they brand you as a "murderer" for eating meat:/

But this forum seems very civilized and friendly to me compared to those "groups".

I'll check those out.
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Beginner

Come on aboard...

Dog, guts and guns..
#5 Old 01-05-2016, 01:08 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Welcome to VB

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#6 Old 01-05-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan2 View Post
Come on aboard...
That doesn't sound too enthusiastic...
#7 Old 01-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokakun View Post
That doesn't sound too enthusiastic...
What do you mean? You are welcome here. We like to help meat eaters transition to veg*ns here. @unovegan did not bring out the brass band, but he welcomed you on board.

Facebook groups are horrible for the most part imo. Just please don't bring up scenarios like What if you were stranded a desert island with only a cow to eat...etc. We get enough of those IRL (and facebook lol).

And welcome

skinnieminnie likes this.
#8 Old 01-05-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
What do you mean? You are welcome here. We like to help meat eaters transition to veg*ns here. @unovegan did not bring out the brass band, but he welcomed you on board.

Facebook groups are horrible for the most part imo. Just please don't bring up scenarios like What if you were stranded a desert island with only a cow to eat...etc. We get enough of those IRL (and facebook lol).

And welcome

Thanks! it's just very hard to understand emotion through text, and it's very easy to "sound cold".

Ah of course! I think people should respect one another even though their diets are different.
#9 Old 01-05-2016, 10:25 AM

Take it slow

Welcome! I agree with some of the other posts about taking it slow. Add a few plant based dishes that you really like to your meals and go from there. It is easier for our minds to do things in small steps rather than huge ones. I'm a big believer in keeping it simple and also, from a someone who works with emotional brain daily, it is easier to motivate change that way anyway. Give your tastebuds time to transition as well. I have some simple recipes on my blog.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page