Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By Sirstompely
  • 3 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By echowarrior
  • 2 Post By no whey jose

#1 Old 12-30-2015, 07:21 PM

I'm a meat eater..

I'm a bit lost and confused at the moment, I really care about animals but at the same time, i'm so accustomed to eating meat that I don't know how to go without it. Whenever I see a live lobster being dropped into a pot, i'm appalled, angry and disgusted. Whenever I see a pig roasting over a pit (I have an extra soft spot for pigs) I'm very sad and disgusted. These poor things are harmed and abused just so people can stuff their fat gullets. What gives us any right to treat them like chattle? I once saw a truck loaded with pigs on it's way to a slaughterhouse. I swear the one pig looked at me and stuck its snout out of the small metal hole...I don't even like meat that much, I'm just so surrounded by it that I end up eating it. That's my little speech, I hope one day I can have the will to stop contributing to slaughter of sentient beings like many of you enlightened people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2015, 07:57 PM
Sirstompely

It's so engrained in our culture 99% of us grow up eating meat and living with people who eat meat and never think twice. I come from a heavy meat eating family and no matter how many times I take them to farm sanctuaries and they meet these beautiful, intelligent, affectionate animals they still go home and have beef for dinner because they don't know any other way of living. I guess there comes a point in life where your morals become stronger than anything else you've been raised with. Even if it means being ridiculed because you turned down the meat dish at dinner. Everything clicks and you just stop eating it. If you really care you should research the industries and how your meat and milk is produced; it may encourage you to go vegan or vegetarian. Watch documentaries like Earthlings, Meet your Meat and Food inc. I have no idea where you live but possibly search for an animal sanctuary near you and volunteer so you can really make a connection. If you can't look them in the eyes and say you would slit their throat why would you pay someone to do it for you so you can have them for dinner. It's a journey and a new way of life. I wish you luck!
#3 Old 12-30-2015, 07:58 PM
Vegan since 1991

Eating more vegetarian meals, and fewer meat meals, has become easier than ever. Nearly all grocery stores carry meatless burgers, which go great in pasta, tacos, and stews. Once you've found 5 or 6 vegetarian dishes that you really enjoy, it will be much easier to leave behind your old favorite meat dishes. No need to go vegetarian overnight, although some people do this successfully.

Mercy for Animals has a beautiful Vegetarian Starter Guide, free to download: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 12-31-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-30-2015, 10:26 PM
seeker and optimist

Just keep meditating on your conundrum. I think you will find yourself working harder and harder to becoming the person you want to be. Blessings to you in 2016!
Naturebound and David3 like this.
#5 Old 12-31-2015, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

I promise, it's not as difficult as you think it will be. You just need to find other things to eat. Could you tell us about what you currently eat now? Many recipes can be veganised quite easily: burgers and fries, Sunday roast, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, chilli, burritos, pizza. What do you like?
Beautiful Joe and David3 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page