Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Starchyvegan

#1 Old 12-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Veggie turned Vegan

New member here :)

Hi guys.
Cannot tell you how glad I am to have stumbled on this forum

I'm a newbie Vegan (2 months) and previously an 8 year vegitarian before that. Hoping to chat to some like minded individuals! My diet currently is very starch based as I feel that works best for me. However am looking for any advise or guidance on getting leaner and generally fitter. I run roughly around 3-4 miles four times a week. (Definatly hoping to up this, i'm only a beginner runner!) So any tips or advise from runners would be great too - For example how to up my distance.

Look forward to speaking to you all
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2015, 04:53 PM
V for Vegan

Hi Starchyvegan,

I was also a vegetarian for a long time before going vegan. My only regret is that I didn't go vegan sooner. Have you read "The Starch Solution" by Dr. John McDougall? Great book!

Cheers
#3 Old 12-31-2015, 03:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Starchyvegan! Welcome!

I am not a runner, but I workout about 1.5 hours per day five days a week and one or two Saturdays per month I do long distance hikes (plus ten miles), snowshoe, mountain bike, canoe etc. I do canoe camping overnight long distance trips too. And I cycle to work and to the gym from May to October (I live in NE Minnesota and winter is just to cold and icy for me to cycle outside). I eat about 80-90% whole foods with little allowances here and there for stuff like Daiya shreds or veggie burgers and so on. I don't follow any particular vegan style of eating such as high carb or raw or starch etc. I have been vegan almost five years (one more month) from omnivore and I love it as much if not more now than when I started.

I used to run five miles per day most days and I loved trail running. At that time though I was very underweight and pushing my body hard and I have osteoporosis first diagnosed in 2006 (I lost my ovaries at a young age and have had hypothyroidism for 27 years, and I was anorexic for a number of years, all of which contributed to a very low bone density). At any rate, I was straining myself a lot and then I suffered a pelvic stress fracture and had to stop running. Due to my bone condition I am very very careful about running now and will only do it very occasionally for short spurts. I feel much stronger now though and rarely strain myself anymore because I eat more and am at a much healthier weight (though still the low end of normal). Though a lot of vegans dismiss the idea of protein deficiency, I really did have to push myself to include more protein in my diet (as well as other nutrients) to get better and stop the constant strains. Beans are a staple for me almost everyday. I tend to average 15% protein, 15% fat, and 75% carbs give or take, though I don't obsessively measure my food content as much as I used to lol. Calorie amounts are still drilled into my head from years of that, so while I don't obsessively count calories I still automatically do it in my head.

All that said, my advice would be to take it slow and easy with running, and really listen to your body. Do not ignore patterns of strains and injuries if and when they happen. Learn from them! I can say though that as an omnivore I used to struggle with running and couldn't go more than two miles at a time. A month after going vegan I remember running on the treadmill one day and daydreaming and the next thing I knew I had run three miles! And I just kept going. My energy exploded as a vegan, and I still have more stamina and energy. I also want to share that I found the treadmill very hard on my body and found it easier to do trails and run outside because it forced me to slow down and do all the work myself. I learned to breath more properly and be patient with my body outside, and it is so much more fun! I find it totally unnatural to run on a moving machine, you know? Though I understand in the winter (at least where I live) it can be pretty brutal outside and sometimes you just have to run indoors. I do this with cycling.

Best wishes and see you around the boards!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-31-2015, 06:49 AM
Veggie turned Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce V View Post
Hi Starchyvegan,

I was also a vegetarian for a long time before going vegan. My only regret is that I didn't go vegan sooner. Have you read "The Starch Solution" by Dr. John McDougall? Great book!

Cheers
Yes I have read it! Infact it was the final push for me to become vegan

I agree, if only we had became vegan sooner!

Thanks for reply
#5 Old 12-31-2015, 06:57 AM
Veggie turned Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Hi Starchyvegan! Welcome!

I am not a runner, but I workout about 1.5 hours per day five days a week and one or two Saturdays per month I do long distance hikes (plus ten miles), snowshoe, mountain bike, canoe etc. I do canoe camping overnight long distance trips too. And I cycle to work and to the gym from May to October (I live in NE Minnesota and winter is just to cold and icy for me to cycle outside). I eat about 80-90% whole foods with little allowances here and there for stuff like Daiya shreds or veggie burgers and so on. I don't follow any particular vegan style of eating such as high carb or raw or starch etc. I have been vegan almost five years (one more month) from omnivore and I love it as much if not more now than when I started.

I used to run five miles per day most days and I loved trail running. At that time though I was very underweight and pushing my body hard and I have osteoporosis first diagnosed in 2006 (I lost my ovaries at a young age and have had hypothyroidism for 27 years, and I was anorexic for a number of years, all of which contributed to a very low bone density). At any rate, I was straining myself a lot and then I suffered a pelvic stress fracture and had to stop running. Due to my bone condition I am very very careful about running now and will only do it very occasionally for short spurts. I feel much stronger now though and rarely strain myself anymore because I eat more and am at a much healthier weight (though still the low end of normal). Though a lot of vegans dismiss the idea of protein deficiency, I really did have to push myself to include more protein in my diet (as well as other nutrients) to get better and stop the constant strains. Beans are a staple for me almost everyday. I tend to average 15% protein, 15% fat, and 75% carbs give or take, though I don't obsessively measure my food content as much as I used to lol. Calorie amounts are still drilled into my head from years of that, so while I don't obsessively count calories I still automatically do it in my head.

All that said, my advice would be to take it slow and easy with running, and really listen to your body. Do not ignore patterns of strains and injuries if and when they happen. Learn from them! I can say though that as an omnivore I used to struggle with running and couldn't go more than two miles at a time. A month after going vegan I remember running on the treadmill one day and daydreaming and the next thing I knew I had run three miles! And I just kept going. My energy exploded as a vegan, and I still have more stamina and energy. I also want to share that I found the treadmill very hard on my body and found it easier to do trails and run outside because it forced me to slow down and do all the work myself. I learned to breath more properly and be patient with my body outside, and it is so much more fun! I find it totally unnatural to run on a moving machine, you know? Though I understand in the winter (at least where I live) it can be pretty brutal outside and sometimes you just have to run indoors. I do this with cycling.

Best wishes and see you around the boards!
Thank you so much for your reply. I've found it very helpful!

I too am from a background of Anorexia however have been able to live my life free from that for 5 years now, with perhaps the odd negative thought popping up lol! Becoming vegan has allowed me to provide my body with so much nutrition that it just didnt get before, and has helped me in so many ways

Thanks again for your advice!
#6 Old 12-31-2015, 07:18 AM
V for Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchyvegan View Post
I agree, if only we had became vegan sooner!
Better late than never though
#7 Old 12-31-2015, 08:43 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#8 Old 12-31-2015, 07:17 PM
seeker and optimist

welcome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page