Hello. My name is... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Samantha.Nye
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 11-01-2015, 10:52 AM

Hello. My name is...

Hey, guys! I just signed up for these forums and I'm really excited to meet new people . Here's a little about me.

My name is Samantha. I'm 21 years old and am a very new vegan. I've only been vegan for roughly 3 months and it's been a journey to say the least haha. I got engaged in early October to my s/o of 6 years and am so excited to start the next chapter in our lives! He is not vegan and still very much likes meat. This is the first thing we've ever really not been on the same page about, though he has been respectful of my decision, as he sees why I made the change, and I am respectful of his, as I can kind of see why he hasn't. I'm currently an undergraduate student, graduating in May, then in Fall 2017, we will be getting married. I'm currently studying psychology and am placing my focus in quantitative psych, which has turned me into a (admittedly) huge data/research snob. Because of this I do kind of find it hard to really identify with a lot of fellow vegans on a lot of issues, but I live by one philosophy: Learn to love and respect those who not only think as you do, but those who don't. Anyway, I'll probably be seeing you guys quite a bit through this journey and I look forward to it .
MadamSarcastra and Sadrielle like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Vegan since 1991

Congratulations! Have you and your fiancé discussed whether or not your children will be raised vegetarian?

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 11-01-2015, 11:16 AM

Hi David! We've had a brief discussion about it but not much as of right now. The plan is to wait about a year after marriage to have kids, as I want to be sure we are both in stable jobs (he will be graduating about a year after me). Because my veganism is so new, I'm still trying to figure out myself what I would want for our children. Thankfully we've always been able to discuss things like this civilly and come to a rational compromise. Though I will admiy, this is something that's been on my mind very frequently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-01-2015, 11:32 AM
the ever sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha.Nye View Post
He is not vegan and still very much likes meat. This is the first thing we've ever really not been on the same page about, though he has been respectful of my decision, as he sees why I made the change, and I am respectful of his, as I can kind of see why he hasn't
My husband and I are the same way! He's rather sweet and supportive by purposely trying to think of vegan dinner options and looking for restaurants that have options I can have, but I don't there's every going to be any deterring him away from his cheese and pepperoni pizza or his love for hamburgers and chicken.

Welcome! I hope you'll find the wealth of support here that's available. Did you start off vegetarian or did you nosedive in?

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
#5 Old 11-01-2015, 11:42 AM

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this! I hope one day he does choose the vegan route, but I don't believe in forcing it on anyone and whole heartedly believe the diet isn't for everyone . And I nose dove in! Actually, a while ago I was vegetarian, then transitioned to vegan. At the time I wasn't entirely mentally healthy and it because too much of an obsession and started to go from a simple lifestyle change to breeding ground for an eating disorder (Orthorexia Nervosa). While I was going through therapy *again* for PTSD and BDD I switched back to an omnivorous diet. As soon as I knew I was stable enough, I went straight back to veganism and the experience is MUCH MUCH different and I'm so happy .
#6 Old 11-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#7 Old 11-02-2015, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome Samantha! I am also a vegan living with an omnivore/mostly vegetarian at home. My situation is similar to yours and Sadrielle's, though I am perhaps a little more pushy lol. My husband has major health issues and is on disability, and there have been numerous studies that a plant based diet would help at least one of his conditions (rheumatoid arthritis) but he can't give up his dairy/cheese. He did cut way back after being told by doctors his cholesterol was way too high, and he has done that over the last few years and made an amazing improvement in his numbers. We spent a week at the Mayo clinic a few years ago when he was very sick and his situation was too complicated for the local doctors, and the doctors down there loved that I was vegan and really approved of plant based diets. It was refreshing! At any rate, I am just glad that over the years he has slowly cut down on his meat consumption to not more than a few times per month and has cut back on his dairy cheese, and he is very supportive of my lifestyle, though he wasn't at first. We have certain arrangements...keeping separate cupboards and I don't buy or prepare his animal foods etc. that have made it easier.

I too am in recovery for anorexia, and I actually became healthier as a vegan than all the years I struggled with it as an omnivore. I am not 100% recovered (the mental stuff takes a lot longer than the physical) but have come a long ways in a few years.

Congratulations on your engagement and best wishes on your studies!
no whey jose likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page