Hello from a french vegan uni student! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-24-2015, 06:43 AM

Hello from a french vegan uni student!

Hi everyone! As stated in the title I'm vegan (been vegetarian for years before that) and loving it. (Refreshing for my body, for the animals and helping my ed) I live in the french countryside (lol try and imagine how my life is without any of your american cheese-alternative… good thing i don't crave any) and a uni student (aka broke) in english literature, which doesn't mean that my english is flawless, but i'm doing my best.

I love baking but since I went vegan I can never eat my homemade stuff (reason to fatten my whole omni family)
One day i'll find the courage to bake a huge and delicious vegan layercake. One day.

Anyway, I hope i'll find my place here.

Last edited by biloutre; 09-24-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-24-2015, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Bienvenue bibloutre! I'm French-Canadian so you're not alone speaking french on the boards, I'm sure we have others too! Thank you for making the compassion choice! I relate to your vegan layer cake, my son's birthday is next month and I'm researching a good recipe. Found a few already, very easy actually!

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#3 Old 09-24-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post
Bienvenue bibloutre! I'm French-Canadian so you're not alone speaking french on the boards, I'm sure we have others too! Thank you for making the compassion choice! I relate to your vegan layer cake, my son's birthday is next month and I'm researching a good recipe. Found a few already, very easy actually!
Thank you! Going vegan is what making me feel good about myself and my body to be quite honest… My self esteem is pretty low at the moment (eating disorder…) and I really needed it. I feel like I'm finally doing something good for the planet and I'm not as useless as before.

The problem is that all the good recipes for layercakes use cups for measuring. And I need grams and liters. Afraid that converting the recipe myself won't be accurate...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-24-2015, 07:46 AM
Chaotic Vegetarian

Hi Biloutre and welcome on veggie boards !

I'm also in France, and a vegetarian. In which region are you ? I'm from Centre and in Orléans we have 1 single vegan place to eat (yummy!), so I hope you have more options where you are.

We find cheese subs in biocoops (ethik & bio, la vie claire). You can order them on un monde vegan. They do discounts if you buy a lot. I must confess that the few subs I tried tasted crappy. So does Naturata's Vegane mayo. Yep, I'm not ready to go vegan yet. Still trying.

Cups... I simply use actuals cups and then see if it looks ok. It usually does !

Quote:
Originally Posted by biloutre View Post
I love baking but since I went vegan I can never eat my homemade stuff (reason to fatten my whole omni family)
One day i'll find the courage to bake a huge and delicious vegan layercake. One day.
I don't get what you said. Do you cook non-vegan for your family ? uuh why ? Try feed them vegan with telling it, they'll love it !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bon appétit !

Last edited by Ad Elie; 09-24-2015 at 07:50 AM.
#5 Old 09-24-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Elie View Post
Hi Biloutre and welcome on veggie boards !

I'm also in France, and a vegetarian. In which region are you ? I'm from Centre and in Orléans we have 1 single vegan place to eat (yummy!), so I hope you have more options where you are.

We find cheese subs in biocoops (ethik & bio, la vie claire). You can order them on un monde vegan. They do discounts if you buy a lot. I must confess that the few subs I tried tasted crappy. So does Naturata's Vegane mayo. Yep, I'm not ready to go vegan yet. Still trying.

Cups... I simply use actuals cups and then see if it looks ok. It usually does !
Thanks!

I'm from Drôme, right next to Ardèche lol, when i said countryside i wasn't joking. No Un Monde Vegan, and no La Vie Claire either here.

Eh, we have the few regular creamy cheese but even as a vegetarian i wasn't a fan of those. (You have to eat it with bread… I'm terrified of bread. Makes me bloat.)
What I really like though is Taifun's premade tofu! (Especially Tofu Rosso and Curry-Mango) Along with Lupin fake-meat. (Creepy how much it taste like chicken, actually. Even my omni mother agreed…)

By 'cups' you mean regular cups? The one you drink water with? If so, i may give it a go!
#6 Old 09-24-2015, 08:26 AM
Chaotic Vegetarian

Quote:
Thanks!

I'm from Drôme, right next to Ardèche lol, when i said countryside i wasn't joking. No Un Monde Vegan, and no La Vie Claire either here.

Eh, we have the few regular creamy cheese but even as a vegetarian i wasn't a fan of those. (You have to eat it with bread… I'm terrified of bread. Makes me bloat.)
What I really like though is Taifun's premade tofu! (Especially Tofu Rosso and Curry-Mango) Along with Lupin fake-meat. (Creepy how much it taste like chicken, actually. Even my omni mother agreed…)

By 'cups' you mean regular cups? The one you drink water with? If so, i may give it a go!
Ha lupin is awesome. I eat the brined seeds in sandwiches with lots of things ! (yes bread -.-') I use the regular mugs (not the HUGE ones). btw, your region is so pretty !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bon appétit !
#7 Old 09-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Hi everyone! As stated in the title I'm vegan (been vegetarian for years before that) and loving it. (Refreshing for my body, for the animals and helping my ed) I live in the french countryside (lol try and imagine how my life is without any of your american cheese-alternative… good thing i don't crave any) and a uni student (aka broke) in english literature, which doesn't mean that my english is flawless, but i'm doing my best.

Anyway, I hope i'll find my place here.
Bonjour and welcome! Here is a cooking conversion chart, hope it is helpful! Vegan cakes are delish and often no one knows the difference. http://calculator-converter.com/conv...calculator.php
#8 Old 09-24-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Ha lupin is awesome. I eat the brined seeds in sandwiches with lots of things ! (yes bread -.-') I use the regular mugs (not the HUGE ones). btw, your region is so pretty !
Ah and to answer your question above yes i do bake non vegan cakes for my family because 1/ i started out by baking non vegan. 2/ i'd like to do a CAP patisserie next year. I'm 'training' my baking skills on them. Can't afford going there and telling my superiors that i don't wanna bake with animal products because i'm vegan.
And really, that's like cooking non vegan stuff for my family. Just because they're not vegan doesn't mean they don't get to eat stuff they appreciate (i gave up on trying to turn them vegan… i'm not the kind of person to force things) (Though i won't cook meat for them. That's the ONE thing i will never do uh)

But i already have new vegan recipes to try out in mind! Can't wait to test them. I'm sure they'll never see the difference if i don't tell them.
#9 Old 09-24-2015, 01:50 PM
Chaotic Vegetarian

Quote:
Ah and to answer your question above yes i do bake non vegan cakes for my family because 1/ i started out by baking non vegan. 2/ i'd like to do a CAP patisserie next year. I'm 'training' my baking skills on them. Can't afford going there and telling my superiors that i don't wanna bake with animal products because i'm vegan.
And really, that's like cooking non vegan stuff for my family. Just because they're not vegan doesn't mean they don't get to eat stuff they appreciate (i gave up on trying to turn them vegan… i'm not the kind of person to force things) (Though i won't cook meat for them. That's the ONE thing i will never do uh)

But i already have new vegan recipes to try out in mind! Can't wait to test them. I'm sure they'll never see the difference if i don't tell them.
Wooo ! You must have very strong will to cook delicious things that you won't eat !

Bon appétit !
#10 Old 09-24-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Wooo ! You must have very strong will to cook delicious things that you won't eat !
Like I said - I have an eating disorder i know a thing or two about not eating
#11 Old 09-24-2015, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

biloutre, 1 cup of flour is 125g
and 1 cup of liquid is 240 ml
There are imperial to metric converters for many ingredients online.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#12 Old 09-25-2015, 01:14 AM
The prowling wolf

Bienvenue!

How is it being a vegan in France? I always hear that it's though because there are very intolerant people in France who insist everyone eats like they do?

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#13 Old 09-25-2015, 10:14 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#14 Old 09-25-2015, 04:39 PM

Cool

Welcome, comrade.
#15 Old 09-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome biloutre! Even with an ED, it is possible to enjoy bread and cake again. Trust me.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page