Hello and chicken question! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By Shallot
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 09-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6
Hello and chicken question!

Hi! I've been lurking for awhile. I was a vegetarian for many years, fell off the wagon when I got lazy cooking when my son was born, and I'm now back, but decided to go all the way this time.

I have a question on chickens- I rescued a little flock that was being replaced by younger layers. They went from a little pen to completely free range on 2 acres. They are such sweet happy little birds, I became vegan the day they moved in! But my issue is these chickens still lay eggs fairly regularly, just not the 1 a day the farm was expecting. What is the ethical thing to do with the eggs?
fruitlooper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 09-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlooper View Post
Hi! I've been lurking for awhile. I was a vegetarian for many years, fell off the wagon when I got lazy cooking when my son was born, and I'm now back, but decided to go all the way this time.

I have a question on chickens- I rescued a little flock that was being replaced by younger layers. They went from a little pen to completely free range on 2 acres. They are such sweet happy little birds, I became vegan the day they moved in! But my issue is these chickens still lay eggs fairly regularly, just not the 1 a day the farm was expecting. What is the ethical thing to do with the eggs?
Hello and welcome! I have never kept hens myself, but I've heard that many vegans and farm sanctuaries feed the eggs back to the hens. Apparently the act of laying depletes certain nutrients which can be replenished through eating the eggs.
no whey jose is offline  
#3 Old 09-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Hello and welcome! I have never kept hens myself, but I've heard that many vegans and farm sanctuaries feed the eggs back to the hens. Apparently the act of laying depletes certain nutrients which can be replenished through eating the eggs.
That's a good idea! I'll have to look into that, as long as I don't have to cook for them, I can't handle one more animal to cook for!
fruitlooper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 09-11-2015, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlooper View Post
That's a good idea! I'll have to look into that, as long as I don't have to cook for them, I can't handle one more animal to cook for!
If I've got this right (and it's entirely possible that I haven't, so you should look into it first), all you have to do is crack the eggs slightly and leave them there. This is supposed to signal to the hen that no chick will be developing in that egg, so it's ok to eat.
Tiger Lilly likes this.
no whey jose is offline  
#5 Old 09-11-2015, 03:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Shallot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 437
I did not know that chicks would eat the eggs - but of course it makes sense when you think about it!

A friend recently had to find a new home for her rescue chickens ... she finally accepted they did not have enough space for them (they only had a small back garden). :-(
Tiger Lilly likes this.
Shallot is offline  
#6 Old 09-11-2015, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rasitha.wijesekera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 551
eek! that sounds yucky. but hey, people values don't apply to chicken.

you could also give the eggs away to your non vegan neighbors.
rasitha.wijesekera is offline  
#7 Old 09-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Lifelong vegetarian
 
@rno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,617

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
@rno is offline  
#8 Old 09-12-2015, 01:14 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Tiger Lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,617
As for the chickens eating their eggs thing?

Yes, they totally can.

Last edited by Naturebound; 09-12-2015 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Deleted quote to spam post
Tiger Lilly is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off