New kid on the block - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Danny Boy
  • 1 Post By Danny Boy

#1 Old 08-29-2015, 03:12 PM

New kid on the block

Howdy guys. Newbie here after watching the documentary, Speciesism earlier this year. Became vegetarian over night and last few months Vegan and mostly raw foods. Feel on top of the world and lost 50 pounds so far. Seems to be quite a learning curve to this lifestyle as I find myself constantly tweaking and refining it. Looking for a support community and thought I check this forum out.

Dan
LedBoots and veggie man like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-29-2015, 03:40 PM

hey welcome to the site i have to say i haven't heard of the documentary speciesism, is it good?
#3 Old 08-29-2015, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Day! So glad for you, and glad you're here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-29-2015, 06:12 PM

Hi Dan, and welcome!

Wow, you've lost 50 lbs. That's quite an achievement. I think that speaks volumes about the incredible health benefits of a whole-food, plant-based diet.

While I had been gradually decreasing the amount of animal products in my diet for over a decade, I too became a vegan recently because of a documentary. In my case, it was Forks Over Knives. I learned so much about the health benefits of a vegan diet from that movie.

But while I became a vegan primarily for health reasons, I have come to embrace the ethical foundations of veganism as well. Two weeks ago, I watched the documentary Earthlings, and it nearly broke my heart. I am guessing that Speciesism is very similar to Earthlings.

If you are looking for a supportive community, you've come to the right place. VeggieBoards is a fantastic resource for vegetarians and vegans. Continued good luck in your journey following a plant-based lifestyle.
#5 Old 08-29-2015, 11:50 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Danny,

Welcome aboard. Mercy For Animals has a free, beautifully-written Vegetarian (Vegan) Guide. The nutrition part of the guide begins on page 7: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#6 Old 08-30-2015, 01:06 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Lorina
Hello xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
#7 Old 08-30-2015, 05:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Danny and welcome!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 08-30-2015, 07:54 AM

Thanks again guys. The immorality of the slaughter of animals through factory farming, so that we can live, is what grips me. The senseless pain and suffering of God's creatures for our gain is a blight upon this world and heavily impacts the planet environmentally. Of course I'm preaching to the choir as many/most of you toe the line against this inhumanity as I join your ranks. Living on a plant based diet is very sustainable for me and has opened up a whole new world of taste, texture, odors and color. I feel like a zombie waking from the dead and becoming re-born into a whole new reality. Wowzers, this is really cool stuff.
Naturebound likes this.
#9 Old 08-30-2015, 03:31 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#10 Old 08-30-2015, 04:00 PM

welcome to the kind life danny, and congrats on the weight loss! That must feel fantastic!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page