VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/19-new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Newbie - Greetings! (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/19-new-member-introductions/187257-newbie-greetings.html)

ForestFaery 08-12-2015 10:03 AM

Newbie - Greetings!

Hello ya'll! I'm technically new, I joined a few weeks ago but forgot to introduce myself! Whoops! :crying:

Anywho, i'm ForestFaery, but you can call me Lisa and i'm from South Carolina. I'm 20 years old and I've been eating plant-based since I was 19, just passed the one year mark in July! :D

I didn't like the thought of eating or killing animals but I wasn't able to DO anything about it until my doctor said my cholesterol was high. So after a ton of research, I went vegan that same day - I loved it! I was able to find new ways to eat vegetables and fruits and discovered new combinations ( Avocado toast, i'm looking at you!!)! Though, my parents and family ( a traditional Southern people) made me compromise, so I had to eat Vegetarian on Sundays. But after a month, my cholesterol was down and normal! I was ecstatic and decided to go Vegan all the time.
That backfired as my parents didn't like it; They began to purposely make food for me and grew upset when I wouldn't eat it, now my diet is Vegetarian and i'd be lucky to eat a Vegan meal without being picked at by them.
So I came here to veggieboards as a way to get back to eating Vegan, with all the support, and people with the same interests. Maybe I can make a few friends and help people out in the process! :bobo:

Lil' Tofu 08-12-2015 12:53 PM

Hey Lisa! I'm also 20! Congrats on hitting the one year mark, that's a great accomplishment! It's unfortunate your parents aren't okay with this lifestyle, have you tried sitting them down and showing them evidence that you can get all your nutrition from plants?

ForestFaery 08-12-2015 01:16 PM

Hi Lil'Tofu! Thank you, I was glad to hit that mark! :D
I have tried but they were only passively interested. Atleast they've made slight progress; Initially, they commented that all I was going to eat was salad and tofu but now they've stopped that since they saw the variety of foods I can eat but they still aren't sold on it. Just this Sunday, my father tried his hardest to get me to eat some of his fried chicken and fried rice from the Chinese restaurant we ordered from. My mom has even told me that despite the health benefits and all the nutrients I am getting, that I should still eat 1 piece of meat a week. :/
I'm not giving up though!:D

onelonelytraveler 08-12-2015 02:21 PM

Hello Everyone,
i'm new to the lifestyle and started my journey on 8/5/15.
i'm looking forward to be part of the community,
and learn more from y'all.
thank you.
-One Lonely Traveler

@rno 08-12-2015 11:19 PM

:hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:
:hi: W e l c o m e ! :hi:
:hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:
-
-
-
-
-
-

Naturebound 08-13-2015 02:00 AM

Welcome Lisa! I hope you find lots of support here! We love having younger members. :)

ForestFaery 08-13-2015 08:37 AM

Thank you! I've been loving it here so far! Being able to speak about things that interest me and give my own input without the normal snide remarks - it's wonderful! :D

Dogma 08-13-2015 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForestFaery (Post 3748129)
Thank you! I've been loving it here so far! Being able to speak about things that interest me and give my own input without the normal snide remarks - it's wonderful! :D

Oh, you'll have plenty of those here. For example:

Wanna hear a joke?

The Food Pyramid. AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHHAA!!!!

David3 08-13-2015 11:34 PM

Hi Lisa,

Great work! With your new diet, you've given yourself many decades of health.