Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By LadyV
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 2 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 08-09-2015, 08:10 PM

New...old member

I truly want to go veggie..I am an animal rights activists and I've never been much on meat anyway. I did go veggie for about a year, but ended up sick as I didn't know what the heck I was doing. I had weight loss surgery last October...so I must get in 6o grams of protein a day....I need to learn . All the help I can get would be greatly appreciated!
Werewolf Girl, Purp and LedBoots like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyV View Post
I truly want to go veggie..I am an animal rights activists and I've never been much on meat anyway. I did go veggie for about a year, but ended up sick as I didn't know what the heck I was doing. I had weight loss surgery last October...so I must get in 6o grams of protein a day....I need to learn . All the help I can get would be greatly appreciated!
Hi and welcome Lady V!
#3 Old 08-09-2015, 09:33 PM

Thank you!!!! I so want to live this life style. I truly know nothing about making things healthy, being born n the south. I so love vegetable,,all veggie....but cooked with a lot meat, so I need to relearn some cooking skills and learn protein...the hardest will be making a third generation sauce recipe from the home country of my father and his family..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-09-2015, 10:20 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi LadyV,

Welcome aboard!

Because your digestive system has been altered by your weight loss surgery, your dietary requirements are now different than they were pre-surgery. I think you can definitely become a vegetarian, but it seems prudent to discuss and plan this with a Registered Dietitian, and with your physician.

In the United States, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through this website: http://www.eatright.org . Just click on the "Find an Expert" button, located in the upper-right-hand portion of the webpage. The website allows you to select dietitians with different specialties (including vegetarian nutrition).
no whey jose likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 08-09-2015 at 10:22 PM.
#5 Old 08-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#6 Old 08-10-2015, 12:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi and good luck.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#7 Old 08-10-2015, 02:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
the hardest will be making a third generation sauce recipe from the home country of my father and his family..
Welcome

What country does your '3rd generation sauce' come from? Does it have a traditional name?

What's the recipe you usually use? What are the texture and flavour like?

Maybe someone here can help you make it veggie.

Last edited by Spudulika; 08-10-2015 at 02:17 AM.
#8 Old 08-10-2015, 03:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Hi LadyV and welcome!

It is not hard to get protein from plants. Here are just a few examples of plant protein sources: beans (kidney, white beans, black beans, chickpeas, navy beans, lentils, split peas, peas, limas, etc), legumes, tofu, tempeh, seitan (made from vital wheat gluten), grains such as quinoa, oats, barley, millet, couscous, brown or wild rice, buckwheat; vegetables such as broccoli, green beans, leafy greens, squashes and pumpkin; nuts and seeds (pumpkin seed, chia seed, sunflower seed, almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, pine nuts, brazil nuts, nut and seed butters); peanuts/butter; soy milk; whole wheat bread (one slice has 4 grams of protein and two for a sandwich has 8 grams plus whatever you put in it). Even nutritional yeast has 8 grams of protein for 2 tablespoons.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php

Here are some other resources to look at for vegetarian/vegan nutrition:
http://vegetariannutrition.net/
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...-20046446?pg=2
http://www.vegancoach.com/vegan-nutrition.html
http://www.veganhealth.org/

Glad to have you here!
no whey jose likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 08-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#10 Old 08-10-2015, 08:58 PM

My father and all that side of the family were born in Italy. I love seeds and nuts but can not eat them at all. March a year ago, I had 15 inches of my colon taken out, I went in for a colonoscopy, so they could see where my diverticulitis was located and they found a cancerous polyp. SO they just went up further and took it all out at once....once healed..I started eating nut and seeds and LOVED it..but soon ended up in the hospital with a severe attack...I also have it on the right side...so, no seeds or nuts again...but it's keeping me out of the ER.
#11 Old 08-11-2015, 03:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
My father and all that side of the family were born in Italy. I love seeds and nuts but can not eat them at all. March a year ago, I had 15 inches of my colon taken out, I went in for a colonoscopy, so they could see where my diverticulitis was located and they found a cancerous polyp. SO they just went up further and took it all out at once....once healed..I started eating nut and seeds and LOVED it..but soon ended up in the hospital with a severe attack...I also have it on the right side...so, no seeds or nuts again...but it's keeping me out of the ER.
I'm sorry to hear about your colon issues. My Mom also has diverticulitis and had been in the hospital with terrible attacks on occasion. She too can not have nuts or seeds, even in fruits. My Dad also had it. I am so hoping to avoid this! It seems to run in our family. I do know that when I ingest whole corn kernels I get terrible intestinal spasms for days. I work in a medical setting and have seen a lot of colon cancer patient charts with issues similar to yours. It's good that they caught your cancer early!

Can you still have nut/seed butter though? Like almond butter, tahini, sunflower butter, peanut butter? Even if not, there are some other ways to get the omega 3s that these plant foods offer. Tofu, leafy greens, avocado are a few. I know there are a lot of vegan recipe sites/books that go heavy on nuts/seeds in recipes, but there are also ones that don't, like Fat Free Vegan, and many of the recipes on Forks Over Knives are free of nuts/seeds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 01-11-2016, 08:31 PM

Thank you all for answering me.
I can not eat any nut, seeds, popcorn....I can eat the butter of nuts. Since I have weight loss surgery, I have a very tiny pouch instead of a tummy...so it's hard to eat enough veggie in a day to get the protein in...I'm having a heck of a time
#13 Old 01-11-2016, 09:01 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

How about Brown rice and beans? Quinoa? Tofu?
#14 Old 01-12-2016, 03:06 AM
Veggie Regular

You could try pureed bean soups like split pea soup or white bean carrot soup. You simmer your beans and veggies in water or vegetable broth, and once they are soft, add the soup to a blender and blend to get a smooth creamy soup. It is easier to eat more beans and vegetables this way if you have a smaller stomach. Tofu is also easier to get down more of. I do tofu puddings for breakfast...blend a block of silken tofu in your blender and add a pinch of sweetener and either a banana or other soft fruit or just some cocoa powder or lemon juice and blend. It isn't too filling and you get about 24 grams of protein per block of silken tofu, and loads of iron and calcium. Sometimes instead I use 1/2 block of refrigerated tofu variety and still get 16 grams of protein for that.

If you end up having to resort to smoothies with protein powder, there are quite a few vegan ones on the market now, everything from pea protein powder to hemp protein or rice based protein powder.

Eating lots of smaller meals instead of three big meals seems to be a strategy I have heard of for people in your situation.

Best wishes!
LedBoots and leedsveg like this.

#15 Old 01-12-2016, 11:39 AM

I can eat soups and been and stuff...love it. but my pouch can only hold a little bit..it seems like such an issue....I am getting my 60 grams in with salmon and turkey...and I hate it. I can only eat about 4 oz of turkey...and I'm stuffed. I also as mentioned previously, need somewhat low carb
#16 Old 01-15-2016, 08:57 AM
Vegan since 1991

HI LadyV,

Here is a post-bariatric surgery nutrition guide, from Highland Hospital Bariatric Surgery Center: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/Media...al_Plan_6M.pdf . This guide fully accommodates vegetarian diets.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page