• 1 Post By Axxonn N
  • 1 Post By azurannae
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Axxonn N
  • 1 Post By Axxonn N

#1 Old 07-23-2015, 06:33 PM
From Another Place

Thumbs up Hello peoples!

I've known about Veggie Boards for some time, but I haven't really checked out the site much and just now decided to make an account. I'm 21 years old currently, and I've been a vegetarian since I was 14, so that's (*does mental math*) about seven years of vegetarianism.

Woo!

I'm not yet vegan, but perhaps some people here will convince me to make that change? Who knows!

I'm on my last year of college and looking to make some friends here. I live in North Dakota, and there's pretty much no one I know locally who is like-minded when it comes to my vegetarianism. I have some great omnivorous friends, don't get me wrong, but I'd like to get to know some good ol' vegetarian folks.

Uhh... What else...

I'm going into teaching! I write! I like films by David Lynch, books by Aldous Huxley, and music by a whole bunch of people across a variety of genres. I don't play video games much these days, but I like an RPG with a plot I can dig (Final Fantasy series, NiER, Persona 3, and so forth).

That's about it.

Hello.

LedBoots, MadamSarcastra and Ness like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Axxonn and welcome! Wow, North Dakota! I used to live in Crookston Minnesota near Grand Forks and would go over to Grand Forks quite often. I lived there during the 1997 Red River flooding. I am over twice your age. I can imagine it would be a challenge to be vegan there, but the soil is so incredibly rich and fertile that gardening is heaven on earth! I used to share a garden with my Mom in Crookston. One year we planted three pumpkin seeds and by the end of summer we had over forty pumpkins lol.

Are you going to teach writing? Creative writing by any chance or essays or technical?

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 07-23-2015, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome Axxonn great to have you on board, feel free to browse the sections and share your 7 years experience of vegetarianism. You'll find plenty of great advice on how to turn vegan so you're in the right place.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-23-2015, 06:56 PM
From Another Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Hi Axxonn and welcome! Wow, North Dakota! I used to live in Crookston Minnesota near Grand Forks and would go over to Grand Forks quite often. I lived there during the 1997 Red River flooding. I am over twice your age. I can imagine it would be a challenge to be vegan there, but the soil is so incredibly rich and fertile that gardening is heaven on earth! I used to share a garden with my Mom in Crookston. One year we planted three pumpkin seeds and by the end of summer we had over forty pumpkins lol. Are you going to teach writing? Creative writing by any chance or essays or technical?
See, that's one of my problems: I don't take advantage of the potential for gardening. I think I can learn a lot here, if I snoop around in the right places. I wasn't raised in a family that was vegetarian or even cooked much at all, and while I hate to use it as an excuse, "I'm a college student." I'm not the best cook, let alone a gardener.

I'm going into secondary English education. I am hoping to be teaching high school English within the next few years. If I get the chance to help with a creative writing class/literary magazine/writer's club, by all means, I'll aim for it. One of my favorite classes in high school was being part of a literary magazine, so I'd be thrilled to have a role in that someday.

Nice to meet you, Naturebound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post
Welcome Axxonn great to have you on board, feel free to browse the sections and share your 7 years experience of vegetarianism. You'll find plenty of great advice on how to turn vegan so you're in the right place.
Oh boy, I hardly feel like I have much experience to share! I am hoping to get some great advice here, since I'm a poor cook and a relatively poor eater. I've been evidence of how you can be a vegetarian for ethical reasons and still not be a very healthy eater (not to mention exercise, ahemmm...). That being said, going vegetarian was really easy for me. I'll likely give up eggs before I'd give up dairy, because dairy (namely geek yogurt) has been a go-to source of protein for me (although I already drink soy milk over cow milk, because I prefer the taste). I'm not as big of a nut guy (I mean, I am a big nut) as I wish I was, so I might need to look into beans and other veggies that have proteins.

Nice to meet you, varun!
#5 Old 07-23-2015, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxonn N View Post
Oh boy, I hardly feel like I have much experience to share! I am hoping to get some great advice here, since I'm a poor cook and a relatively poor eater. I've been evidence of how you can be a vegetarian for ethical reasons and still not be a very healthy eater (not to mention exercise, ahemmm...)
Oh I'm kinda like that too, only I'm proud of it.. most of the time I just eat what works for me. I've not gotten much exercise for the past 3-4 years except for walks whenever I get the time. I've never tasted meat and in all the casual health check-ups I go to I've never been deficient in anything. In a way if you eat a lot of variety of veggies, fruits, cereal, pulses etc it kinda takes care of the body automatically. Since as vegetarians we're not shoving in unnecessary amounts of fat & bad cholesterol found in meat, we don't have a very good reason to exercise as well (we all need a good excuse).

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#6 Old 07-23-2015, 07:16 PM
From Another Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post
Since as vegetarians we're not shoving in unnecessary amounts of fat & bad cholesterol found in meat, we don't have a very good reason to exercise as well (we all need a good excuse).
I'm all for a good excuse!

I think I'd be a lot unhealthier if I had not went vegetarian years ago, I'll admit. It forced me to actually get over my "picky eater" issues to at least some degree, and I had to start paying attention to what's in my food (to avoid gelatin, random anchovies, rennet, etc.). I want to eat healthier and exercise to increase my amount of energy and to generally shape myself in a way that feels better to me. Thing is, it's super easy to "want" this and rather difficult to "do" it! I tend to prioritize other things over physical exercise-- pretty much everything is prioritized more than that, I'll admit.
#7 Old 07-23-2015, 08:04 PM
Impeach the gangster

Welcome aboard, Axxonn. I used to drive across North Dakota as part of my work. I'm retired now, and my exercise regimen amounts to mowing the yards occasionally in summer and running a snow-blower once in a while in winter. Plus I bicycle in fair weather, but not like I'm out to win any races. Glad you signed up!
Naturebound likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#8 Old 07-23-2015, 08:05 PM
From Another Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Welcome aboard, Axxonn. I used to drive across North Dakota as part of my work. I'm retired now, and my exercise regimen amounts to mowing the yards occasionally in summer and running a snow-blower in winter. Plus I bicycle in fair weather, but not like I'm out to win any races. Glad you signed up!
Glad to be here. Nice to meet you, Capstan!
Purp likes this.

Last edited by Axxonn N; 07-23-2015 at 08:48 PM.
#9 Old 07-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Hippie

Hello! We've already made each others acquaintances via other boards, but I just wanted to officially give my greetings.

I'm 100% on the same page regarding meeting people with similar diets. Lots of great omnis out there, hell, even my girlfriend is, but it'd be nice to know at least one vegan, either in real life or on the internet. I'm friends with quite a few vegetarians, but you wouldn't expect that from rural Michigan.

Sidenote: I've ended up inspiring a lot of people in my life to at least try being vegetarian / vegan / go long-term vegetarian, so who knows? Might actually end up inspiring you to be vegan!
Purp likes this.

"IF YOU ASK ME WHAT I CAME HERE TO DO IN THIS WORLD
I, AN ARTIST, WILL ANSWER YOU
I AM HERE TO LIVE
OUT LOUD"
-ÉMILIE ZOLA
#10 Old 07-24-2015, 12:02 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#11 Old 07-24-2015, 02:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
See, that's one of my problems: I don't take advantage of the potential for gardening. I think I can learn a lot here, if I snoop around in the right places. I wasn't raised in a family that was vegetarian or even cooked much at all, and while I hate to use it as an excuse, "I'm a college student." I'm not the best cook, let alone a gardener.

I'm going into secondary English education. I am hoping to be teaching high school English within the next few years. If I get the chance to help with a creative writing class/literary magazine/writer's club, by all means, I'll aim for it. One of my favorite classes in high school was being part of a literary magazine, so I'd be thrilled to have a role in that someday.

Nice to meet you, Naturebound!

Oh boy, I hardly feel like I have much experience to share! I am hoping to get some great advice here, since I'm a poor cook and a relatively poor eater. I've been evidence of how you can be a vegetarian for ethical reasons and still not be a very healthy eater (not to mention exercise, ahemmm...). That being said, going vegetarian was really easy for me. I'll likely give up eggs before I'd give up dairy, because dairy (namely geek yogurt) has been a go-to source of protein for me (although I already drink soy milk over cow milk, because I prefer the taste). I'm not as big of a nut guy (I mean, I am a big nut) as I wish I was, so I might need to look into beans and other veggies that have proteins.

Nice to meet you, varun!
I hear ya! I wasn't raised in a family that cooked or ate healthy either. My Dad could burn macaroni and cheese lol. My Mom lived (and still does) on fast food and too much junk, though she has tried off and on to eat better. For me, learning to cook and eat healthy evolved over a long time. It started with terrible pain and digestive problems in the year 1999. Before then I didn't give a second thought to what I ate. Dairy made me deathly sick all of a sudden, and greasy food made my pain so much worse. So I had begun to avoid those years ago and started drinking soy milk and more beans, less meat for those reasons. It took five years and countless invasive tests before severe endometriosis was found. Eventually I lost all my reproductive parts at a young age which threw me into surgical menopause and more problems. I was put on a strict anti candida diet and there was so little I could eat that I really had to get creative and learn to cook. In that way it helped, but it triggered a deadly eating disorder I have battled off and on since. Funny though, but all that made me obsessive about food and experimenting with cooking and growing some of my own food and being creative with "alternative" food. I went vegan in a period of recovery and thinking about world hunger and how best to manage living on this planet with so many people, not out of a health need or desire. By that time I was off almost all dairy anyway and mostly had just eaten fish and eggs so it was easy to make the total switch.

You don't have to be a health nut to be vegan for sure! And personally I think a person should be open minded about food and enjoy a treat now and then and not obsess too much about the health aspects. I think it's refreshing to see that not all of us are interested in being body builders, athletes, personal trainers, and health gurus. Vegans can be as varied and happy as any omnivore no matter which way you decide to do it.

I admire teachers. I could never face a classroom full of people everyday lol. I love to write too but am currently in a medical field. Go figure.
leedsveg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 07-24-2015, 06:56 AM

Welcome, Axxonn N! I'm new to the site and to this veggie eating experience, so I will be of no help in the preparing/eating topic. I can applaud you for your career direction!

Doug
#13 Old 07-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Axxonn and welcome to VeggieBoards.

My good wishes on your career and your veg*n journey.

Leedsveg.
#14 Old 07-25-2015, 01:52 PM
From Another Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurannae View Post
Hello! We've already made each others acquaintances via other boards, but I just wanted to officially give my greetings.

I'm 100% on the same page regarding meeting people with similar diets. Lots of great omnis out there, hell, even my girlfriend is, but it'd be nice to know at least one vegan, either in real life or on the internet. I'm friends with quite a few vegetarians, but you wouldn't expect that from rural Michigan.

Sidenote: I've ended up inspiring a lot of people in my life to at least try being vegetarian / vegan / go long-term vegetarian, so who knows? Might actually end up inspiring you to be vegan!
Hello, again! I know that it can get pretty tough to find vegetarians/vegans in a rural place like Michigan. I live in North Dakota, sooooo, not much of that happening here! There's also just frankly a lack of diversity in general, so there's just not much happening with regards to variety of lifestyles.

Why'd you decide to go vegan? Were you vegetarian for a while first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-
Thanks, @rno!

Quote:
I hear ya! I wasn't raised in a family that cooked or ate healthy either. My Dad could burn macaroni and cheese lol. My Mom lived (and still does) on fast food and too much junk, though she has tried off and on to eat better. For me, learning to cook and eat healthy evolved over a long time. It started with terrible pain and digestive problems in the year 1999. Before then I didn't give a second thought to what I ate. Dairy made me deathly sick all of a sudden, and greasy food made my pain so much worse. So I had begun to avoid those years ago and started drinking soy milk and more beans, less meat for those reasons. It took five years and countless invasive tests before severe endometriosis was found. Eventually I lost all my reproductive parts at a young age which threw me into surgical menopause and more problems. I was put on a strict anti candida diet and there was so little I could eat that I really had to get creative and learn to cook. In that way it helped, but it triggered a deadly eating disorder I have battled off and on since. Funny though, but all that made me obsessive about food and experimenting with cooking and growing some of my own food and being creative with "alternative" food. I went vegan in a period of recovery and thinking about world hunger and how best to manage living on this planet with so many people, not out of a health need or desire. By that time I was off almost all dairy anyway and mostly had just eaten fish and eggs so it was easy to make the total switch.

You don't have to be a health nut to be vegan for sure! And personally I think a person should be open minded about food and enjoy a treat now and then and not obsess too much about the health aspects. I think it's refreshing to see that not all of us are interested in being body builders, athletes, personal trainers, and health gurus. Vegans can be as varied and happy as any omnivore no matter which way you decide to do it.

I admire teachers. I could never face a classroom full of people everyday lol. I love to write too but am currently in a medical field. Go figure.
I hope it doesn't take a big health scare for me to shape up my eating. Hopefully I can learn from experiences like yours and make changes that'll help me prevent some health issues. It's impressive to me that even with so many food restrictions kind of imposed upon you by the limitations of your own physical health, that you still gave up more food options to become vegan for ethical reasons.

Do you still write much in your free time? I didn't think I'd be writing much after deciding to go into teaching, but I realized rather recently that I'm unlikely to ever stop. I get compelled to express ideas as they flow into my life, and I find that it really helps my personal/mental development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtinsmith View Post
Welcome, Axxonn N! I'm new to the site and to this veggie eating experience, so I will be of no help in the preparing/eating topic. I can applaud you for your career direction!

Doug
Nice to meet you, oldtinsmith. And I'm super excited to be able to help out in the classroom sooner than later. It's what will really help facilitate years of happiness for me, and I think I'll be useful there for the students as well. Win-win, so it feels weird for someone to applaud what is an easy and exciting choice for me, but I understand and thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Hi Axxonn and welcome to VeggieBoards.

My good wishes on your career and your veg*n journey.

Leedsveg.
Much appreciated! Thanks, Leedsveg!
#15 Old 07-25-2015, 02:33 PM

Axxonn N,
I didn't mean for you to feel weird about me applauding your career path. It's just so very refreshing to see someone choose to give some of what they've learned back for the next generation, instead of just seeking monetary enrichment!

Doug
#16 Old 07-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I hope it doesn't take a big health scare for me to shape up my eating. Hopefully I can learn from experiences like yours and make changes that'll help me prevent some health issues. It's impressive to me that even with so many food restrictions kind of imposed upon you by the limitations of your own physical health, that you still gave up more food options to become vegan for ethical reasons.

Do you still write much in your free time? I didn't think I'd be writing much after deciding to go into teaching, but I realized rather recently that I'm unlikely to ever stop. I get compelled to express ideas as they flow into my life, and I find that it really helps my personal/mental development.
I write on occasion. It comes in spurts, sometimes all at once and sometimes I go months with little inspiration. You can find some of my writing here:
https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/16...st-poem-4.html (and feel free to post your own there too ).

It would seem I chose a more restrictive path, but really veganism has opened my mind to so much creativity, peace, assertiveness, ownership of my own body and awareness of others. I actually eat way more variety in my meals than I ever did as an omnivore. For many years, for example, as an omnivore I ate oatmeal and/or Greek yogurt (the only dairy I could tolerate to any extent) for breakfast. Occasionally maybe some hard boiled eggs or pancakes. As a vegan...chickpea flour omelets; bulgur wheat/walnuts/blueberries; countless smoothies; tempeh and sauteed collard greens with fresh pineapple; beans on toast (learned from vegan friends in the U.K.); countless homemade granola recipes; raw buckwheat groats blended with banana or blueberries and flax-meal; handful of almonds and a mango; tofu/cocoa powder/banana pudding; at least 20 or more different types of pancakes, scrambled chickpeas, carrots, potatoes and the list goes on. And that's just breakfast. Sadly I didn't even know what a mango was until I went vegan. I didn't know about the wide variety of lettuces, and didn't rotate eating different leafy greens each week like kale, bok choy, collards, dandelion leaves, arugula, and so on. I've made my own nut based "cheese", my own plant milks from flax seed, homemade mayo from almonds and cider vinegar and coconut milk. I don't feel deprived in the least. Now that anti-candida diet I was put on (nothing but fresh meat and low or nonstarchy vegetables and very few seeds or grains). THAT was restrictive!

#17 Old 07-27-2015, 02:13 PM
From Another Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtinsmith View Post
Axxonn N,
I didn't mean for you to feel weird about me applauding your career path. It's just so very refreshing to see someone choose to give some of what they've learned back for the next generation, instead of just seeking monetary enrichment!

Doug
I know you didn't mean to make me feel weird. I just feel weird rather easily and rather often. :P It's interesting to me: A lot of people I know who are going into education are doing so because they were inspired by their favorite teachers throughout their own education, but in my case, it feels like I've been more motivated to teach because of the teachers who did NOT do a very good job. I want to be the teacher I wish I would've had (at least, insofar as my interests aren't out of left field from what the students in my class would want). Especially with English teachers, there was a certain pretentiousness and narrowness of scope in some of my experiences, ESPECIALLY more recently in college... Which is a shame. My favorite teacher in school was actually a math teacher, and I'm awful at math. Long rant, cut short: I'm eager to be a teacher and be able to have a positive influence. I'm incredibly idealistic, and I like that.

Quote:
I write on occasion. It comes in spurts, sometimes all at once and sometimes I go months with little inspiration. You can find some of my writing here:
https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/16...st-poem-4.html (and feel free to post your own there too ).

It would seem I chose a more restrictive path, but really veganism has opened my mind to so much creativity, peace, assertiveness, ownership of my own body and awareness of others. I actually eat way more variety in my meals than I ever did as an omnivore. For many years, for example, as an omnivore I ate oatmeal and/or Greek yogurt (the only dairy I could tolerate to any extent) for breakfast. Occasionally maybe some hard boiled eggs or pancakes. As a vegan...chickpea flour omelets; bulgur wheat/walnuts/blueberries; countless smoothies; tempeh and sauteed collard greens with fresh pineapple; beans on toast (learned from vegan friends in the U.K.); countless homemade granola recipes; raw buckwheat groats blended with banana or blueberries and flax-meal; handful of almonds and a mango; tofu/cocoa powder/banana pudding; at least 20 or more different types of pancakes, scrambled chickpeas, carrots, potatoes and the list goes on. And that's just breakfast. Sadly I didn't even know what a mango was until I went vegan. I didn't know about the wide variety of lettuces, and didn't rotate eating different leafy greens each week like kale, bok choy, collards, dandelion leaves, arugula, and so on. I've made my own nut based "cheese", my own plant milks from flax seed, homemade mayo from almonds and cider vinegar and coconut milk. I don't feel deprived in the least. Now that anti-candida diet I was put on (nothing but fresh meat and low or nonstarchy vegetables and very few seeds or grains). THAT was restrictive!
I will check out those poems in a bit! Thanks for the link.

I write prose, not typically poetry, so I won't be posting anything there. I finished a novel over the summer, and now I'm starting out on two more novels. I don't know if I will branch into poetry anytime too soon, but, who knows!

I get what you mean about veganism being able to open you up. It happened with me with vegetarianism to a much smaller degree. Being able to make your own nut-based "cheese," milks, and mayos-- wow! That's certainly very impressive. How do friends/family/other people like your cooking? How many doubting omnivores have you convinced with this stuff?
LedBoots likes this.
#18 Old 07-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi @Axxonn N . It's nice to meet you, and I wish you well in all endeavours.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#19 Old 07-28-2015, 08:02 PM
From Another Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Hi @Axxonn N . It's nice to meet you, and I wish you well in all endeavours.

Thanks Purp! Nice meeting you as well!
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page