• 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By leedsveg
  • 1 Post By ocrob37
  • 1 Post By Vegan Veteran
  • 1 Post By ocrob37
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl

#1 Old 05-02-2015, 05:11 AM

Hi from long term vegan :)

Hi! Just joined the board as it's refreshing to read posts by like minded people

I've been vegan for 30 yrs now and vegetarian a little longer. I first wanted to be veggie from 6yrs old, before I knew the existence of vegetarianism, it was just a natural drive. It took me a few years to get it happening though and I've never looked back.

A few months ago I got into green smoothies and they actually healed some health issues I had, so let's just say I'm Really into them! I've even started my own youtube channel to share the smoothie recipes I love, if you want to take a peek, here's the link -
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFl...Jf2kS5GaoRUbPA

I'm looking forward to hanging out on this board, it's awesome to see how the veggie movement has grown over the years
Werewolf Girl and LedBoots like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Vegan Veteran and welcome to the boards! I look forward to hearing more from you! We love to hear from experienced vegans.

Just an FYI, but it is generally looked down upon for brand new members to post links to their own blogs and sites on their first post, however, you can add your link to your signature or in our subforum for member blogs and sites. Here are the forum rules regarding this:

https://www.veggieboards.com/?page=fr...nes#user_spam4

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 05-02-2015, 08:01 PM

Ok no problem, I was excited to share my passion for green smoothies, I'll do what you suggest. I did notice some youtube links before I posted, but obviously it wasn't their first post.

I turned vegan at 15 and I'm now 45 so yes 30 straight years experience here I had a health check some months ago and found iron and b12 to be low, hence green smoothies for iron, which has now increased. I take supplements for b12, but I found just one course is enough to last a long time.

I was more a junk food vegan until about 9 months ago, when I started green smoothies and green juicing, now it's healthy food all the way

I did have another health matter that had been hanging around for 2 yrs, a female thing, however after 6 months of green smoothie and juicing it has completely gone! I was told my diet must be working and the dr thought it was remarkable, so I'm now fully into promoting green smoothies, and juice, for health.

Hope that's not too much about me but I'm excitied to share as it's so great to find a board of people with similar interests, I can tell you vegan was a lonely place to be 30 yrs ago
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Impeach the gangster

Hi Vegan Veteran. I've been vegan just 20-years, so I'm sort of a newbie! It's a road I'm so so glad I've taken! Welcome to VB!
Vegan Veteran likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#5 Old 05-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#6 Old 05-03-2015, 12:01 AM

Thanks guys! I'm happy to be here
#7 Old 05-03-2015, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

That's great that you are taking charge of your health and that things are improving! I can see how you would want to promote what is working for you to others based on your experience! I was really hesitant to bring up the link thing because so many people are doing it here quite heavily sometimes and I didn't want it to seem like you are being singled out. It is an issue on VB. I'm glad I didn't scare you off.

I think it is important that you share your story and I am so glad you joined here!

I do a lot of smoothies too, but also include two or more cups of leafy greens most day in other ways, such as steaming them and adding flavors like lime juice or cinnamon; adding them to soups or stir frys or salads. I love to eat raw kale rubbed with lemon juice and add avocado pesto and tomato to it. Often for breakfast I lightly saute (in water) some type of leafy green (bok choy, collards, kale, dandelion greens etc) with tempeh or a dried cooked bean and a fruit like pineapple or orange. And collard wraps with bean dips and veggies are great too! I rely on leafy greens not only for iron but also calcium, protein, vitamin K, and a whole host of other nutrients they offer. Yeah for leafy greens!

Out of curiosity, did you supplement B12 over the years or is it more recent?
leedsveg likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 05-03-2015, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Vegan Veteran and welcome to VeggieBoards.

Leedsveg.
#9 Old 05-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Great video. I enjoyed it. I love my green smoothies every morning. Do you have any concerns about oxalates? I do a lot of Kale and have read they can cause kidney stones. I have also read you can have oranges and avocado to combat this. Any opinions?
#10 Old 05-05-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I do a lot of smoothies too, but also include two or more cups of leafy greens most day in other ways, such as steaming them and adding flavors like lime juice or cinnamon; adding them to soups or stir frys or salads. I love to eat raw kale rubbed with lemon juice and add avocado pesto and tomato to it. Often for breakfast I lightly saute (in water) some type of leafy green (bok choy, collards, kale, dandelion greens etc) with tempeh or a dried cooked bean and a fruit like pineapple or orange. And collard wraps with bean dips and veggies are great too! I rely on leafy greens not only for iron but also calcium, protein, vitamin K, and a whole host of other nutrients they offer. Yeah for leafy greens!

Out of curiosity, did you supplement B12 over the years or is it more recent?
I like the sound of your green dishes I also eat them as well as drink them, mainly in salad like romaine and cos lettuce, and also I like to make veggie burgers with a mix of chopped greens and pther vegeatbles. Yes they're so full of nutrition, particularly as chlorophyll is only one molecule dofferent from our blood, like a healthy blood transfusion as I've read somewhere.

I only started taking b12 recently. Over the years each time I had a b12 blood test my results were normal, only about a year ago they came back low for the first time. I took only one course of 100 tablets and 6 months later the test came back normal. So now I'll have one course occasioanlly to keep the levels up, but b12 lasts in our system for years (the body reuses it's b12 supply) so I don't think we need the vitamin tablets very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
Great video. I enjoyed it. I love my green smoothies every morning. Do you have any concerns about oxalates? I do a lot of Kale and have read they can cause kidney stones. I have also read you can have oranges and avocado to combat this. Any opinions?
So glad you liked my video! Thanks

I've read cooking the greens removes oxalates, but it also removes some of the nutrition. I'm rotating my greens which I've also read combats the issue. It's good to rotate the 4 green families, like kale/ bok choy, spinach/ chard, celery/ parsley and lettuce and not use greens from the same family all the time. I've read that way the body has a chance to recover from that families toxin, which we're built to do, otherwise salad would be a problem

Also tbh I'm not too concerned about it as even tea has oxalates. I think there's one story of a woman who had trouble from bok choy but she ate something like 8 bunches a day everyday for 2 years, and that's about the only story of a problem from greens. So rotating and not overdoing should do the trick
Naturebound likes this.
#11 Old 05-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Awesome! It is really great to be able to research this type of stuff on the internet. I don't automatically just believe anything I read, but it is definitely helpful. I am trying to eat a whole food non processed diet with mostly organic foods. I have not felt a difference at all, but hope to one day soon.
#12 Old 05-06-2015, 09:48 PM

I also add in superfoods to my smoothies, I feel they make a difference to how I feel, more energy and generally healthy. I particularly recommend maca powder, it does increase energy for sure.

Also cacao powder puts me in a good mood Plus I've been making sure I have omega 3 every day which isn't available in many veggie foods but is so essential to general health - I use flax seeds or chia seeds daily and also often add walnuts to cacao smoothies.
#13 Old 05-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to Veggieboards! It's so inspiring to have someone here who has been vegan for so long, I can't wait until I can say the same.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#14 Old 05-07-2015, 12:42 AM

Great to hear my story is inspiring! You'll probably be suprised at how fast the time goes, I know I was

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page