I am new to this game - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By mini-malfo

#1 Old 09-03-2014, 02:59 PM

I am new to this game

Hi from Me...I am in serious need of help. I am not a veggie (please don't Boo me) but my little boy has decided he wants to be and I want to try everything I can to support him...I am clueless so will be pestering for advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-03-2014, 03:13 PM

Hello mini_malfo
I think it's great that your little boy has made the decision to go veggie. Not every parent takes it seriously. I probably would have been vegetarian from childhood if I had had the right support. I wish you all the best in helping him to succeed
#3 Old 09-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hello!
I'm really glad you want to support your son, and glad that you're looking for advice. Changing a diet from the usual animal based foods takes time, and research. I was surprised by how much my cooking style has changed.

How old is your son? We have a great section on family and relationships with many threads featuring raising veg children. I wish I had raised my sons vegetarian - and so do they.

You should give it a go along with him. What's holding you back?

What particular foods does he like now? Any cultural foods like Chinese, Indian, Mexican or Italian you may want to pursue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-malfo View Post
Hi from Me...I am in serious need of help. I am not a veggie (please don't Boo me) but my little boy has decided he wants to be and I want to try everything I can to support him...I am clueless so will be pestering for advice
Hi and welcome! My husband and I both ended up going vegan due to our son, so be careful! He was 9 when he went veg, 12 vegan, and is 21 now, strong, healthy, and vegan. And a bit stubborn still.

The easiest thing to do is to prepare your normal meals but substitute veg things for the meat for your son. Spaghetti sauce or chili, cook the meat separately and add it to your portion after son's has been removed. And then add beans for him (drain, rinse, cook a bit if canned). Etc. And try meatless Mondays for the whole family! Your son can.learn to cook veg and have fun at the.same time.

Have fun on your new adventure.
Vegan Dave likes this.
#5 Old 09-04-2014, 02:36 PM

Thank you all. My son is 7, has special needs and is more at reception level. I have always been open when he has asked what meat is and where it comes from. He has decided he does not want to eat animals as it makes him sad that they have died. I am so proud of him for voicing such an opinion and will do everything I can to help...Today was a disaster, we tried Quorn mince for a non Shepherds pie and he really didn't like it. He looked pitiful but did not want to exchange it and would have gone hungry. Luckily I managed to do a wee bit of magic with a pack of instant noodles, peas a green pepper and an egg
We will try again tomorrow. I will also do my best to have a few meals a week that are meat free for the whole family so he doesn't feel too different. I have managed to get some great & simple recipes that he can help cook which I am hoping he will enjoy better than the meat substitutes...
Wish us luck
#6 Old 09-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quorn---ewwwww

Shepards pie is really good with lentils, or lightly mashed chickpeas. Make a gravy for all the filling with something like minced mushrooms, thyme and sage -seasonings- and either a flour roux or even cornstarch. Actually Campbells canned mushroom gravy is vegan and good--at least in the U.S.
Try a variety of bean burgers.

Try this- everytime you think of making something ask yourself what could you sub? Chickpeas for chicken. Red beans for red meat. Lentils for ground meat. Just to get you thinking.

Killer not so crabby patties:
Oats
Pureed white beans (actually okara from soybeans is best, but...)
Old Bay seasoning
Minced celery, onion-whatever you'd put in crab cakes
Vegan mayo (Try Just Mayo)
Breadcrumbs to bind, then chill
Make patties and coat with panko (or don't)
Sautee in oil as you would with crab cakes

Veg'n cooking is cleaner and so much fun
I went veg'n for ethics, but stayed for the food.

Last edited by silva; 09-04-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Posted recipe was not right. Deleted it
#7 Old 09-05-2014, 03:42 AM

lol, we are getting the same feeling about quorn too
I have been back down to the market today and stocked up on beans/ pulses and lots of fresh food for us to experiment with..
We will succeed!
LedBoots likes this.
#8 Old 09-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

WOW....I wish I knew about veg*nism at age 7!!!!
(I couldn't find my way home at age 7).

CONGRATS to your Son!!!!

I have read about 30 books on veg*n nutrition / lifestyle, etc. and EVERY BOOK mentions childhood obesity, diabetes, junk food, etc. His decision will virtually eliminate these risk factors. You should consider this a HUGE BLESSING. His decision will hopefully transfer to other family members, so all of you can be healthy.

Read THE CHINA STUDY, and watch the FORKS OVER KNIVES, FOOD, INC, and VEGUCATED videos for more inspiration for the adults.

What a great life event!!!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#9 Old 09-10-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-malfo View Post
We will succeed!
You sound like such a lovely parent, it's great that you're so supportive - and want to cook some meals the same so he doesn't feel different. I know it's a change for the rest of the family but I think that's so important.

I imagine it's really just dinner that will be different - lunch and breakfast often tend to be vegetarian anyway (no hassle switching a ham sandwich to a peanut butter one etc).

I was 8 when I decided to go vegetarian, but I was lucky in that I already had one vegetarian parent and a veggie sibling. I think we just switched sausages and burgers and mince etc to vegetarian kinds and carried on as normal but you might want to experiment with recipes like Silva's and make it more of an adventure! It wasn't until I went vegan that I started making most things from scratch and got really into cooking. Lentil bolognese/shepherd's pie is easy and yummy as mentioned. Then you have 'normal' vegetarian meals like pasta, risotto, pizza (Italian all the way) - maybe if the family enjoy these you could try these for your 'shared' meals to start?

I am a tofu addict (I had cinnamon tofu and banana for breakfast this morning) and there are SO MANY things you can do with it but it can be difficult to cook so if you decide to try that out as a protein alternative I'd suggest pressing it first in a tea towel between two plates, with books on top, then trying a baked recipe, so it dries out enough. Frying it can be difficult to master - but very worth it. Lots of new veg-friendly kitchen skills and foods are :-)

OH and try new vegetables too - season them or bread them or mash them - you can introduce the whole family to them.

Have fun with it!
#10 Old 09-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's wonderful that your son makes such a great decision at such a young age! It sounds like you're doing a great job in supporting him and being a parent.

I agree with what the others have said. Quorn et.c. are convenient but not that tasty. Beans and lentils are great to replace meat in some dishes, I personally like to let them replace most of my rice/potatoes/pasta/other carb as well. Nuts and seeds are great as well.

Try new foods! Lentil stews with tomatoes or other vegetables as a base/sauce, lentils (obviously) and spices, serve with rice or other grain. Quinoa salads, with veggies, maybe some beans, fresh herbs and a drizzle of olive oil. Hummus with pita pockets and/or veggie sticks to dip. Chilies (you can just leave out the meat). All sorts of bean burgers, falafel, chickpea patties et.c. Soups. Nut butters (such as peanut butter, almond butter et.c. - make your own my mixing the nuts in a blender for several minutes to avoid scary additives) make great sandwich spreads. They can also be added to pasta sauces, soups or desserts.

Nutritionally, if he still eats dairy there isn't much to worry about. If he doesn't (has decided to be vegan) he can still get everything he needs, though it does take a tad more thought and planning. I suggest you read a bit about nutrition - a growing child is vulnerable to deficiencies, especially if he's a picky eater. Key nutrients are iron, zinc, vitamin B12, vitamin D (is a common deficiency among omnivores too) and calcium. This website has great resources!

I wish you the best of luck!
#11 Old 09-10-2014, 10:33 AM

Hi mini-malfo,

That's so great to hear that your little boy has decided to go vegetarian! I know how hard it can be to find vege meals that meet the guidelines but are still filling and delicious - I am a huge food lover so I've struggled with that too!

I'v actually made a Hubub page with my own favorite vege recipes and there has been a ton of content from others about recipes for their favorite meals! I'll post the link here so you can check it out:

https://www.hubub.com/topic.php?id=133647

One tip: try making vegetarian quinoa burgers! They're nutrious, filling and you don't miss the meat!

Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page