Anyone in San Francisco? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 Old 08-03-2014, 10:40 PM

Cool Anyone in San Francisco?

Hello friends!! I'm totally new here. I literally typed in "vegan forum" on Google and I clicked the 2nd website which was this one I go to San Francisco State University and I am majoring in journalism and minoring in Holistic Health Studies. I haven't been that successful in finding any vegan pals at school, but that is probably due to the fact that I wasn't looking hard enough in the first place. I have yet to find a solid group of wonderful vegans that live here in SF. But I am unsure of how to seek out those people! A Craigslist ad? "Looking for vegan friends!!" or put up flyers around the city streets? This shall suffice. Better yet, I might find friends here from around the world The more support the better. It is a little difficult to live this lifestyle when you are the only person you know that is doing it, ya know? It's good to socialize with like-minded people. Anyways, who are you? What are your dreams? What is your favorite band?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi lidazey and welcome to VeggieBoards. My best wishes on your vegan journey.

There must be loads of vegans in SF and you'll start finding them before long.

I'm Leedsveg of course and I look much older than I appear in the little piccy. My dream is to get more and more veg*ns coming on VeggieBoards and my favourite band is a little known group from Liverpool called The Beatles. (Mrs Leedsveg thinks she went to see them in a gig around 1965 - either them or the Rolling Stones, she can't remember which. Wot?)

Leedsveg
#3 Old 08-04-2014, 08:17 PM

Hi Lidazey! I went to SF state s couple years ago but I need to go back and finish. I too had difficulty finding vegan friends at state but to be honest I didn't try very hard. I'm the only vegan I know :/ but my close friend is vegetarian. My current favorite band is a toss up between Tegan and Sarah and artic monkeys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-04-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Hi lidazey and welcome to VeggieBoards. My best wishes on your vegan journey.

There must be loads of vegans in SF and you'll start finding them before long.

I'm Leedsveg of course and I look much older than I appear in the little piccy. My dream is to get more and more veg*ns coming on VeggieBoards and my favourite band is a little known group from Liverpool called The Beatles. (Mrs Leedsveg thinks she went to see them in a gig around 1965 - either them or the Rolling Stones, she can't remember which. Wot?)

Leedsveg
I'm sure I will Thanks for the encouragement! The more vegans the better! Ah, a Beatle fan! Right on.
#5 Old 08-04-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echolove View Post
Hi Lidazey! I went to SF state s couple years ago but I need to go back and finish. I too had difficulty finding vegan friends at state but to be honest I didn't try very hard. I'm the only vegan I know :/ but my close friend is vegetarian. My current favorite band is a toss up between Tegan and Sarah and artic monkeys.
Hey there! Its never too late to come back Yeah, the majority of the students here aren't really health-conscious, although we try to be really environmentally-friendly. Its more of an artsy vibe. I thought about making a club or something, but we have a huge holistic health studies program which I am in, so I am bound to find people there! I love the Arctic Monkeys!
#6 Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidazey View Post
Hey there! Its never too late to come back Yeah, the majority of the students here aren't really health-conscious, although we try to be really environmentally-friendly. Its more of an artsy vibe. I thought about making a club or something, but we have a huge holistic health studies program which I am in, so I am bound to find people there! I love the Arctic Monkeys!
I will be back. Hopefully soon, I had some health stuff I needed to take care of. Who knew the remedy for my ailments were going back to my vegan diet! That's so true about SF state being artsy and environmentally friendly. A coworker of mine currently attends SF state and is majoring in environmental studies. He realized through his studies that being vegan is the most environmental friendly diet but he just couldn't/wouldn't stick to it.
I'm sure if you made a vegan club all the hidden vegans will come out of hiding. Or at least a vegetarian/vegan club.
#7 Old 08-04-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echolove View Post
I will be back. Hopefully soon, I had some health stuff I needed to take care of. Who knew the remedy for my ailments were going back to my vegan diet! That's so true about SF state being artsy and environmentally friendly. A coworker of mine currently attends SF state and is majoring in environmental studies. He realized through his studies that being vegan is the most environmental friendly diet but he just couldn't/wouldn't stick to it.
I'm sure if you made a vegan club all the hidden vegans will come out of hiding. Or at least a vegetarian/vegan club.
It's so simple, fruits and veggies as medicine It's that funny? As much as we want to help the world, we fail to realize that most of our environmental issues stem from our freakin' diets! But especially in America where meat and diary are so abundant, we can't seem to part from it, since it is supposedly "so good for us" and "high in calcium and protein." haha. So many people, and I am sure the same goes for you, tell me that they "tried and and can't stick to it," but why? They just aren't educated enough, and its unfortunate because it can help so many people. ah, I should start something. But I don't want to be that person that is telling the non-vegans that their lifestyle is wrong haha. I guess it could just be a community of fellow vegans like you said.
#8 Old 08-10-2014, 01:21 AM

I am actually very near SF.
I'm a vegetarian, and am semi-vegan. PM me if you like.
Try meetup.com for vegan groups -- I believe there is at least one in the North Bay (ie Petaluma/Santa Rosa Area), but you'd have to have a car, and it's kind of a schlep.
I know several vegans and semi-vegans, but they don't necessarily initiate stuff online.

I think you're wise to seek out groups, though, because a lot of people just don't "get" vegan, and think it's weird and kind of gross and you're trying to be superior or difficult.

But yeah, why not try to meet with some like-minded folks on-campus, too? Flyers? Sure - why not?
LedBoots likes this.

Tags
california , friends , san francisco , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page