New - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By anole

#1 Old 07-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Beginner

New

Hi all!

I've been lurking for awhile and figured I should actually join/post. I haven't completely decided to go vegan or vegetarian yet, which is partly why I've been hesitating.

I just moved closer to my family and many have gone from eating tons of meats & cheese in their diets to being vegetarians or vegans for health reasons. One is a gluten-free vegan. I cook weekly family meals so I've had to start learning about all of it fairly quickly.

Personally- a month or so ago I got super sick, spent two weeks in bed watching tons of Netflix like Food, Inc and that movie about juicing, and switched to a vegan diet. Since then I've fluctuated between periods of omni, vegetarian, and vegan eating but overall I'm eating MUCH less meat and feeling much better when I eat cleaner. I try very hard not to set hard and fast dietary restrictions on myself because that tends to end really badly for me, but I'm very happy that I'm shifting so far towards vegetarianism and I'm feeling better and haven't had any panics/binges about it.

One big thing for me is learning how to meal plan without meat and dairy. I know that sounds really silly but figuring out how to present satisfying meals is something I'm really working at... I hate making food some people can't eat, so I am figuring out how to make gluten-free vegan meals the omnis will enjoy as well (I avoid meat substitutes/fake meat for a few reasons). My first try at it everything was all the same texture (soft or mushy) so that was just... bad. Now I'm trying to put together more meal ideas with a theme (like Greek or Southwestern) that includes a variety of textures, enough protein and omegas, and flavors that are different but work together.

...yea. That's where I'm at!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 PM

Welcome! I guess I should say it's nice having you lurk around buddy. I really think you're doing a great job on your vegan journey. I hope your diet just won't lead to starvation cause I've tried that eating only kale and it was really horrible. Really need a good balance. That mix is a good start.
#3 Old 07-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishtol View Post
Welcome! I guess I should say it's nice having you lurk around buddy. I really think you're doing a great job on your vegan journey. I hope your diet just won't lead to starvation cause I've tried that eating only kale and it was really horrible. Really need a good balance. That mix is a good start.
Thanks not entirely sure if I'll end up vegan or vegetarian. Right now I'm sort of wait-and-see. I just realized that without worrying myself about it I can't remember the last time I ate meat- it might have been early last week- which makes me happy.

I could never starve! LOL I love food, cooking, and feeding people. I'm really enjoying finding new recipes and things to cook. I could never 'just eat salads' like some people say.
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-07-2014, 08:29 PM

Hi there! I fell into vegetarianism by accident and decided to stick with it. Meal planning for a mixed group is interesting, but it's turning out to be lots of fun for me. I hope it turns out fun for you too.

I find that chili is a good all-around food that everyone likes, and it would lend itself well to a Southwestern or Tex-Mex theme. You can't really go wrong with beans.
#5 Old 07-07-2014, 09:34 PM

Hi! I turned from omni to vegan overnight just 4 months ago. The greatest challenge for me the first 2 months was the cooking too so it is not silly at all. I was familiar with a handful of vegetables and few fruits then and, taste-wise, I borderline hated them. I knew I needed strong flavoured, really enticing meals if I wanted to stay vegan; otherwise, I'd end up eating vegan junkfood or starve! Plus, I am trying to get my husband (still an omni) to enjoy vegan food in the hope he'll make the switch as well.

I was overwhelmed at first but now, like you, I enjoy finding new recipes and ingredients for really tasteful meals. There's really plenty on the internet. I don't buy cookbooks as I prefer recipes that have been reviewed and commented on by a number of people, less chance of a bad meal, then I just personalise to my taste. I have no requirements for gluten-free or allergies but I've found in recipe comments people always making suggestions on how to make it gluten-free or substitutions for allergens so you might find those helpful.

Good luck with your cooking adventure
#6 Old 07-08-2014, 12:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi! Welcome! There is a fantastic range of récipes on this fórum! Take a look!

There is joy and beauty in everything around us, just take time to see it!

#7 Old 07-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anole View Post
Hi all!

I've been lurking for awhile and figured I should actually join/post. I haven't completely decided to go vegan or vegetarian yet, which is partly why I've been hesitating.

I just moved closer to my family and many have gone from eating tons of meats & cheese in their diets to being vegetarians or vegans for health reasons. One is a gluten-free vegan. I cook weekly family meals so I've had to start learning about all of it fairly quickly.

Personally- a month or so ago I got super sick, spent two weeks in bed watching tons of Netflix like Food, Inc and that movie about juicing, and switched to a vegan diet. Since then I've fluctuated between periods of omni, vegetarian, and vegan eating but overall I'm eating MUCH less meat and feeling much better when I eat cleaner. I try very hard not to set hard and fast dietary restrictions on myself because that tends to end really badly for me, but I'm very happy that I'm shifting so far towards vegetarianism and I'm feeling better and haven't had any panics/binges about it.

One big thing for me is learning how to meal plan without meat and dairy. I know that sounds really silly but figuring out how to present satisfying meals is something I'm really working at... I hate making food some people can't eat, so I am figuring out how to make gluten-free vegan meals the omnis will enjoy as well (I avoid meat substitutes/fake meat for a few reasons). My first try at it everything was all the same texture (soft or mushy) so that was just... bad. Now I'm trying to put together more meal ideas with a theme (like Greek or Southwestern) that includes a variety of textures, enough protein and omegas, and flavors that are different but work together.

From a health perspective, a veg*n diet is a lot better for you, and a vegan diet is better than that.

Plan your meals around:

Vegetables

Fruits

Beans and Legumes

Rice, pasta, etc.

Anyway - take it a meal at a time. Find a routine that works for you & go for it.

There are a lot of vegan recipes out there that people don't know are vegan unless you tell them. IOW, you should be able to make some tasty & healthy meals that almost anyone will eat. Check out some online videos, the recipes on VB, or maybe some library books.

GOOD LUCK!!! and let us know what happens!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Last edited by Vegan Dave; 07-09-2014 at 02:52 PM.
#8 Old 07-10-2014, 06:40 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by anole View Post
Hi all!
I try very hard not to set hard and fast dietary restrictions on myself because that tends to end really badly for me, but I'm very happy that I'm shifting so far towards vegetarianism and I'm feeling better and haven't had any panics/binges about it.

It's really smart, IMO to set attainable food goals vs. super hard rules. It does help with the panic huh...

Gluten-free vegan is really hard. I know one person on that diet and it seems very limited. You'll prob learn a lot trying to cook this style. Did you see this article (it might help you out - though, not sure how many recipes are gluten-free): 80 Plus Popular Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page