Hi there from Louisiana - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Hi ya'll! Looking for some cheer leaders as I know no other vegetarians or vegans in my area. We were veggies for three years when our kids were little but once they were in school age that all that changed. Now that they are grown and out on their own I'm getting back to the veggie lifestyle.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to Veggieboards and welcome back to being vegetarian! hi.gif

This is a great place for support and advice, just let us know if you have any questions. smiley.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 03-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey! Congrats on going back to veg! Welcome to the boards, I hope you find what you are looking for here. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-24-2014, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome. Actually I am working on my elevator speech. I had a career counselor tell me to always be prepared to give the briefest synopsis of my work history because you never know when opportunity might knock. In the case of the vegetarian lifestyle I am very non-confrontational but word is out and Saturday at a house warming party a friend was eager to start a debate on why I shouldn't be a veggie. It really caught me by surprise. Also have facebook friends who love to debate and I've been able to agree to disagree so far because I didn't feel I had the knowledge to back it up. This time I have watched YouTube videos, love Kristina at Fully Raw, watched movies on netflix Forks over knives, Vegecated and The China study which all get me fired up. Oh and the Firehouse guy...I'm just not strong at debate and it seems that's what everyone wants to do. Any tips?
#5 Old 03-24-2014, 03:31 PM

Being a resident of Louisiana (not a native) I know how it is to be a lone vegetarian. I expect to remedy this by moving out of this backward troglodyte state eventualy.

#6 Old 03-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla View Post

Thanks for the warm welcome. Actually I am working on my elevator speech. I had a career counselor tell me to always be prepared to give the briefest synopsis of my work history because you never know when opportunity might knock. In the case of the vegetarian lifestyle I am very non-confrontational but word is out and Saturday at a house warming party a friend was eager to start a debate on why I shouldn't be a veggie. It really caught me by surprise. Also have facebook friends who love to debate and I've been able to agree to disagree so far because I didn't feel I had the knowledge to back it up. This time I have watched YouTube videos, love Kristina at Fully Raw, watched movies on netflix Forks over knives, Vegecated and The China study which all get me fired up. Oh and the Firehouse guy...I'm just not strong at debate and it seems that's what everyone wants to do. Any tips?
The thing is that people feel uncomfortable around vegetarians because they know deep down inside that it is gross to kill and eat animals.

In order to justify their actions, many meat-eaters feel the need to 1) tell vegetarians how they aren't going to get the needed nutrients--usually protein--as they themselves eat a fat-filled unhealthy fast food diet and 2) tell vegetarians how fanatical the vegetarians are--even if the vegetarian is just sitting there quietly eating a peanut butter sandwich and an orange.

When my son was a teenager, he made copies of a list of reasons he had for going vegan--his ethical, health, and environmental reasons--and just handed the list to people who bothered him about it.

I tell people that I don't like to argue about my eating habits during meals.
varun likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page