Jumping back on the veggie wagon - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-18-2014, 02:40 PM

My name is Allison, I was a vegetarian in the past. I was completely veg for 6 months a few years ago but then the Holidays came along and I lost my willpower. Then I started being mostly veg but ate meat when it was offered to me or when I wanted it. Eventually I was eating meat regularly again for the last year or so. Now I'm serious about becoming a vegetarian (and eventually a vegan) again. I think where I fell short in the past was that I tried to just quit cold turkey so to speak. I saw a video of how animals raised for meat are treated and killed which upset me enough to stop eating it. I think that slowly cutting out meat and animal products is probably a better method for me. I have been eating mostly vegetarian and vegan for the last month and want to continue to move toward a more animal friendly lifestyle. I think my main set backs have been my meat eating family who cook with meat daily and going out to eat and not always finding a lot of vegetarian options on the menu. I have a few books with vegetarian and vegan recipes and have enjoyed making them for myself. I look forward to learning more recipes here and getting the support I need to stay on track. 

Nice to meet you all. :) 

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Banned

Hi and welcome Allison :-) glad you are transitioning back to a vegetarian diet.

Climb on board the veggie wagon - there's room for everyone (just mind your bum on the broccoli)

#3 Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Welcome back!  :bobo:

I think I've found that cravings are easier to resist when you've found a nice selection and variety of healthy foods that really satisfy you. There's a bakery chain in my area that produces (among other things) a chocolate chip cookie which is physically addictive, not vegan, and not very healthy to eat either! I stopped eating them quite some time ago and am experimenting with my own healthy, vegan, tasty recipes. :p

(My last attempt was a dough made from white all-purpose flour, sugar, vegetable oil, and cooked mashed butternut squash. It had a nice orange color and tasted okay, but those things weren't ready for prime time.)

Werewolf Girl likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to Veggieboards and congratulations on your decision to go veg again! hi.gif

You'll find some great advice in this article: Top 12 Tips for New Vegetarians from Experienced VeggieBoards Members

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 02-19-2014, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Allison, welcome back to veg*nism :)  I'm glad you've come back.

As long as you never give up, you can never really fail.  If you fall off the wagon, just get back on :)

What kinds of recipes are you most hoping to find?

I think it's good to start with some staples- foods that are nutritionally rich, easy to make, and good to go to in a pinch- then branch out from there.

What kind of food do you like?  Maybe we can help direct you.

Have you tried hummus before?  That's a popular one :)

#6 Old 02-19-2014, 12:43 AM

Thanks guys. :) 

As far as foods right now I eat a lot of salads, smoothies, lettuce wraps, etc. I do like hummus but it's not my favorite meal. I like tofu and have been doing a lot with that. I also like mexican food. I've been making a lot of vegetarian burritos or mexican lettuce wraps with beans, sometimes chopped Bokka "chicken" patties, some salsa, a small amount of cheese, and a little ranch dressing. I love zucchini and mushrooms. I could eat them all day. haha I've been wanting to grill some up outside but it's been kinda cold and rainy (I'm in Nor Cal). I also LOVE sushi. I know they are pretty easy to make veg. I've had a few vegetarian rolls at restaurants but they are usually pretty boring compared to the other rolls (like avacodo roll or cucumber roll, just one ingredient and rice, no sauce, etc). I think I will miss the fish in sushi the most though when I go full veg. 

I've also made spring rolls with the rice  based wrap, veggies, and rice noodles with peanut sauce. That was pretty good.

I really like all kinds of foods. :p I think the only things I'm not a huge fan of are eggplants and asparagus. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page