Has been for 4 months. Still in the progress of transition...... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-29-2013, 04:36 PM

I used to take meets on daily basis, always some in dinner and some in lunch. This summer I started the vegetarian progress for real -- avoiding all kinds of meats, especially red meat such as beef and pork.  It’s not easy to change the lifetime diet which has been formed since the childhood.

The first  thing I did is “Only the breakfast”.  Bread, fruits and pure water only as breakfast.  This has actually been there for years.  For a long time I believe that eat “clean” staff every morning can help to clean up the stomach.

Then I extended to “No meat in Breakfast and Lunch”. The same idea of help to clean up further.

Then I continued to push it further to “No meat for the day”.

And then to “No meat for three day”. It became challenging at this point. Sometime I felt craving meat. I believe this is the most difficult part of the transition, although it’s not painful or suffering.  It’s simply not easy to “control” my hands towards those meat dishes at dinner. Excuses popped to my mind - “That’s fine, no big deal, I can start over tomorrow, just a little bit…”.  And I lost control. I felt a little bit guilty after that.  This type of cycle repeated for a month or two. On and off, back and forth, I extended my no meat time from three-day to a week gradually.

I found a tip to cope with the food craving.  That is, craving for something else!  When I had the desire for meat, I cooked myself a whole pot of vegetable as the dinner, potato, cabbage, celery with Tofu, Bok-Choy, …… I mean, really a lot of vegetable as the main course. for example, the Bok-Choy, not just a few pieces as decoration, it’s the whole package of a couple of pounds Bok-Choy leaves, only with some salt and oil. And I had them all with small amount of rice as dinner. A

This works very well. After a few months I significantly (more than 90%) reduced the amount of meats in my diet.  And I don’t have the bad desire for meat right now. So I don’t need crave that amount of vegetable to replace the craving meat. So my main dinner usually consists of one serving of rice with two vegetable dishes, example: potato fried with peppers, and cabbage mixed with mushroom,...and enjoy it!

The good thing is,  Right now more than 95% of my diet are vegetarian food. It is not 100% because once a week or two I need have a dinner with friends and family in a restaurant. This is the exception time because of peer pressure. but I usually order small portion of seafood only.

I can feel the transition of my body these months. I am able to understand more and more the flavors of vegetables. I started to dislike the smell of meat. My kitchen and sink becomes cleaner and less grease as well as my body.  My eyes becomes clear and calm. I even got a better sense of smell—sometime I can sense  the smell of  different people walk by me in the office.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Impeach the gangster

No problem, Coquitlaman. Believe it or not, it took me fully 10-years to go completely meat-free. I finally accomplished it in the early 1990's. We're not in a race, but we move forward. I know exactly what you mean, about changing the habits we have practiced since childhood being hard. You will get there! Welcome to VB!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 11-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Banned

Hi and welcome :)

Sounds like you are doing a great job transitioning, welcome to Veggie Boards!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-30-2013, 06:22 PM

I have experienced the same thing with the smell of meat, and of other people.  Smells seems more intense, and at times gross!!

Gotta love the easier kitchen clean up!

I also love eating dough and batter when doing vegan baking!

#5 Old 12-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Coquitlaman. Welcome to VeggieBoards and good wishes on your journey. :up:

Leedsveg 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page