Hey all - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-01-2013, 02:19 AM

Hey all,

I'm 25, male, live in south west England and go by Zith.

I've been thinking about going veggie for awhile now, and have made some dramatic changes in my life. I've started giving blood, I've lost 3, 3 and a half stone, exercise a lot more, spend more time reading and being outside, rather than the tv/computer.

I joined the forum here for some good company and support, and hopefully some knowledgable people to ask any queries I have whilst learning exactly what I can eat, and not.

I do have one question whilst joining - When I started the diet, I was taught how to read food labels for my specific diet, and what to advoid. Now, I know the obvious ones, but are there are hidden, or specific ingredients I need to stay away from?

(As an example, in most food they call sugar three or four different names, and sugar helps to put on actual body fat/mass, so when I learned the names, was easy to advoid. Are there any sneaky label names I should look for to know it's not okay to eat?)

Thanks all :)

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-01-2013, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to Veggieboards! hi.gif

PETA has a giant list of animal ingredients in food that might help, it's for vegans so if you're vegetarian you might not worry about avoiding all of these : http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/animal-ingredients-list.aspx

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 10-01-2013, 04:06 AM

Thank you for the link. I'll have a browse through and make some notes. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-01-2013, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Zith and welcome to VeggieBoards. :up:

As a vegan, I use a book called Animal Ingredients A to Z published by AK Press. Unfortunately for your needs, it doesn't say which ingredients not suitable for vegans might be suitable for veggies. Perhaps the vegetarian members of this forum, if they know of a listing that would be just right for you, can post details of where you can find it?

Leedsveg 

#5 Old 10-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Welcome to the community. The books leedsveg suggests is amazing.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 10-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome, Zith.

Aristede:book:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page