Newbie Vegan! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-21-2013, 01:35 AM

Hello everyone!

My name is Aimée and I'm an 18 year old living in South Australia. I've flirted with veganism in the past, but never been strong enough to commit. Lately though, I have felt that it is right for my body and the plant to go vegan. On top of that, I have been watching the documentary 'Earthlings' and it makes me sick to my stomach that we would torture beautiful animals just so we can have dinner.

I'm scared as my parents don't really support my decision (I have a back history of anorexia, so they think it's me restricting my intake, however I have been 99.9% recovered for 2 years now), and my Dad is a proud carnivore. I tried to get my Mum to come out to a vegan café with me, but she point blank refused as they 'don't have meat'. Disgusting.

Anyway, I feel very alone in this decision, despite knowing it's the best one for me. I cannot continue to live in ignorance.

I hope to be able to have a chat to some of you, it would be nice speaking to like-minded people!

varun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2013, 05:00 AM
Banned

Hi Aimée and welcome to Veggie Boards.

I can understand your mum's concerns regarding your eating disorder.  There are obvious parallels with restricting intake for ED reasons and restricting intake based on specific dietary choice.  Perhaps if you drew up a meal plan showing that you are not restricting calories (just the type of food you get those calories from) then your Mum might feel reassured.  You'll find there are a number of recovering ana/mia posters on VB if you do need support at any time x

Would your parents watch Earthlings?  That way they will see the reasons why you are turning vegan, even if they don't wish to do so themselves. 

Good luck with your transition, I'm sure you'll find VB an informative and supportive forum.

#3 Old 09-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Aimée and welcome to VeggieBoards.

I think Quiet-Vegan's post is excellent and there's nothing I can add to it. 

For any questions you have and support you need, we'll do our best.:up:

Leedsveg 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome Aimée, you've come to the right place and we shall always be in support of your decision. Furthermore you are doing it for the correct reason.This has no connection with anorexia, infact with a planned vegetarian diet you get the right quantity of protein, vitamins and minerals that can be quickly absorbed by the body thus actually increasing the energy and overall health within days. Since you already know the decision is the best one for you, all you need to do is stick with it and prove that the results are great for you so that your family is happy too.

Best of luck. You can feel free to discuss your progress here.

vegi906 likes this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#5 Old 09-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Welcome :-) I hope you can find a sense of community and support here to help you along the way.

There is also a ED recovery and support thread on the boards you may find interesting to help others, or discuss things only ED survivors and strugglers can understand.

Earthlings is such a powerful film. The creator is coming out with a more upbeat sequal soon, that explores the meaning of life and lives.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 PM

Hi Aimee,

Just do your change gracefully and if you can show your parents you are doing even better without meat, you will influence them some day. I am a homemaker with two teenage kids. Started quietly with veggies and soon enough my two kids notice the change and start questioning me. It really moves me when they tried to follows me and within a couple of months I have my two kids following a vegetarian diet with me. My spouse was mad enough to tell me off with words like stone but I still cooked whatever he likes for him. It took quite a long while before he comes to term with us and decided to join us. Just do it for ourselves and not to try to impose our believe onto others. Not to inconvenience our mother also. When I visit my parent , gathering with relatives or attend wedding dinners, I just eat veggies and avoid meat and other ingredients. Not to let them feels that we are different species. We have to make others feel comfortable with us.

You are very blessed to start early in life,
Keep it up !!! Hooray!!!!
#7 Old 09-22-2013, 09:49 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! I'm on day five and there's no going back! I'm currently watching Vegucated and loving it. Last night for dinner I made a lentil walnut loaf, and my mum said it was so good shed eat it for dinner! Progress!
#8 Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to the forum! If you need any assistance, please let us know! 

Aristede:book:

VB Moderator

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page