New member- needing help, please! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 AM

Hi awesome nerds,

My name is Kelsey, I'm 14, and I want to be a vegetarian (maybe a vegan, it sounds more appealing each day) due to some ethical choices. I'm really passionate about animals and am a member of PETA  and AnimalsAustralia and Make It Happen. Probably going to be doing some volunteer work for the RSPCA soon, too.

I hate meat. Like, take how much you hate meat and multiply by about 50. Hate, hate, hate meat. It's gross and cruel and unnecessary. 

The only problem is that I live with my parents in a household that loves meat ans has it with dinner every night. This makes me worry that, if I came out as a vegan or vegetarian, I would put extra strain on my mum and dad's lives- they already have to deal with two adorable toddler-ish brats that we love to death. My mum also thinks that I wouldn't be able to stick to a vege diet- I, on the other hand, know I can. My friends are also apprehensive about it- they think it isn't 'healthy' and could be 'bad for my well-being'. I've told them it isn't but they don't know what to think and  aren't interested in this lifestyle themselves.

I really just wanted to ask you guys for help in this situation- I don't know how much longer I can take it. I nearly was sick tonight after eating Kentucky Fried Cruelty (what I now call KFC) and don't know how much longer I can keep up the omnivorous charade. All I need to know is what to say to my parents in this situation- my friends can just deal. I would really appreciate any help, so if you have spare time, please help this voob (just made that up then, means 'vegetarian noob', hell to the yes) out!

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-17-2013, 05:45 AM

Hi there first of all I wanted to say welcome to this site and to say that there is so much support on here it's amazing. I am sorry that you are having these problems. The best advice I can give you is to be honest. You should try to sit down with your parents and explain why you feel the way that you do about eating meat and I am sure all they want is for you to be happy.
#3 Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 AM

Thanks so much! I'm just worried because some people (most people, actually) don't know the facts and are worried about 'protein' and 'iron' and such. I'm a bit of a fiery person so I spike up when people don't see my point of view or I have to explain something over and over again. It's rather annoying.

Thank you though :) I will try to find a good time to tell them. =D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 AM

Hi there Kelsey

Good on you.  There is a great deal of scientific research out there which proves that (a) it is definitely possible to obtain all the correct nutrition you need to be healthy on a vegetation diet and (b) that vegetarians actually live longer and suffer from fewer diseases than omnivores. A simply google search for vegetarian health will give you loads of information along these lines... and this may help you when you explain to your parents your reasons for wishing to become vegetarian, to reassure them that you will remain healthy by eating all the right vegetables, fruit, nuts and so on.

Try to present these facts, along with those related to animal welfare, to your parents as calmly and sensibly/practically as you can, so they know you have thought it through intelligently, and are not just behaving emotionally.  (Of course, all of us here can be emotional about the way animals are treated... but when convincing others, it's often more effective to be scientific about it).  

It's also important you let them know that you are concerned about placing any extra strain on them, and reassure them that you have taken the time to ensure you're really serious about doing this before asking for their help.  Offer to help with the cooking/shopping etc. in order to ease the load on your mum of cooking separate meals for you versus the rest of the family.

I am a biologist in Victoria, and have been vegetarian for 2.5 years... and feel healthier than ever before.  I am now exploring becoming vegan.

One of my favourite articles about the research into vegan/vegetarian health is from a respected science journal, and can be found here... http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/5/1627S.full.pdf+html  ... but it is very technical, so some of the other mainstream articles you'll find online may be easier for you to use.

All the best... you're on the right track!

yesleksenoj41 likes this.
#5 Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 AM

Another good thing to do is print off some info about the nutritional value of the foods you want to eat and that way you have prepared to answer their worries about your health. I know that I can say that since going veggie my health has improved. My cfs and fibromyalgia is easier to manage. My ibs is a lot better and I haven't really needed sleeping tablets.
#6 Old 09-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi and welcome to VeggieBoards. :up:

I think that it's best to be upfront with your parents. If you can gather and show them, quite a bit of evidence that a veg*n diet is beneficial for your health, then it will prove to them that you've given the matter mature consideration and you're not just acting on a whim. If things work out as they should, you may impress your parents enough for them to want to go on a veg*n journey too.

Good wishes

Leedsveg 

#7 Old 09-17-2013, 02:58 PM

Welcome Kelsey - everyone's given you really good advice. Just be honest and explain things to them and see how they react. One of my parents wasn't crazy about me going vegan at the age of 23 but they got over it very soon once I explained how much research etc I'd done to be healthy and they're amazing with me. Do what you think is right and hopefully everyone will come round. We're always here for support too.

#8 Old 09-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Banned

"awesome nerds"

Hmmmm.  Not sure about the nerd part, but I'm happy to accept the awesome tag :)

I think you are going to have to broach the subject pretty soon unless you are prepared to force-feed meat into yourself. As said, do your research and have answers for all the predictable questions they are going to throw at you.  Make sure you plan a balanced diet and help your mother out when it comes to cooking your meals.

#9 Old 09-19-2013, 01:10 AM

Thanks guys so much for all of your help, I'm thinking of telling my mum tonight about it. 

Yes, you are awesome :)

Also just wondering why everyone is spelling it veg*n and not just normally? Is that like a taboo word here or something? So confused.

A friend's sister (they're triplets!!) from school is ovo-lacto and promised to give me advice and recipes and is very impressed that I actually know stuff and am not just acting on an emotional whim (even though this is an ethical/emotional decision for me).

Thanks again for all of your wonderful help! <3

#10 Old 09-19-2013, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

:vebo:​Welcome to the group Kelsey, Glad to have you here. Its great you have taken the first step  Do some research and then present it to your parents, hopely after that they wont worry so much about  it. Also if have to you can try cooking your own meals, There are some great recipes here. And thank for the nerd tag. Love it. Good luck 

#11 Old 09-19-2013, 06:58 AM

Guess what?!

I told them and they have seemingly been totally supportive! :nana:

Will be pescetarian for now, as I am going to Europe for Christmas (BOOYAH!) and my mum said they won't have a lot of vege options over there.

After I get back I'll most likely switch to ovo-lacto and stay that way for a long while. Like, life.

Also, yesterday, found out I'm a smidge taller than my cousin (she's 20 days older than me), I have never been as tall or taller than her ever! YAY! :pibo:

Voob out. :p

(I like emoticons.)

#12 Old 09-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesleksenoj41 View Post

Also just wondering why everyone is spelling it veg*n and not just normally? Is that like a taboo word here or something? So confused.

ven

Hi again Kelsey

Veg*n (or sometimes you see veg*an) is just a shorter way of saying "vegetarian and/or vegan" without writing it out in full like that. 

leedsveg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page