Second intro - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-14-2013, 08:03 PM

My first introduction post was... uh, five years ago.

When I was 13, I went vegetarian/semi-vegan, against my parents' will. I was vegetarian for a year and a half, though I didn't eat eggs or drink milk, I think I ate cheese on occasion and I was not able to find or buy my own cruelty free products because, well, I was 13 and couldn't even get a job. My parents complained, a lot. My mom worried about my health (she's a nurse), and my dad just disagrees with the lifestyle as he's a hunter/fisher. At least he was nicer than many of my uncles and cousins, who also hunt/fish, but were very good at spreading their obnoxious opinions. I think all of them have the PETA (People eating tasty animals) stickers on the back of their pick-up trucks.

My parents DID buy me many things including tofu, organic foods, soy milk, boca burgers, etc, etc... and my dad willingly grilled the tofu into many different "specialty" items but I think that was more experimental. He likes to grill. My mom bought me those things because I think she thought I'd starve to death if I didn't. Indeed, that year and a half, I don't recall having any family members who were particularly supportive. And eventually I stopped being veg due to my mom's constant nagging. I still remember the exact incident, the exact words, exactly what I ate and exactly how I feel. I more vaguely remember how after I started eating meat again, I started feeling like crap physically.

And I was able to push all the reasons I originally went veg into the back of my mind, but was reminded yesterday when I was on pinterest and suddenly I got bombarded with a bunch of animal rights photos, and one that really hit home: "How can you say you love animals and eat animals at the same time?"

I didn't consume any meat, dairy, or eggs today, and I went to the store and bought soy milk, vegan margarine, and organic yogurt (I know this isn't vegan, but it's organic and all I can get in my area since I live in a small town. I'm lucky they even sell tofu and boca burgers here). If I can find vegan products I will be slowly replacing what I have when I run out with them.

Oh, and I just recently got my own apartment so my mom officially has NO say in what I do outside of her house.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome back! hi.gif

Glad you're getting back on the veg wagon, it is SO nice to have your own apartment and be able to buy all your own food without worrying about your parents. I still remember my first night in my own apartment, I had cake for dinner just because I could. tongue3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

That's a terrific story of dedication. I don't even know you and I'm proud of you.
Lunearia likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-15-2013, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, welcome back! Now that you have your own place, you can set the rules that you'd like and follow the code of ethics that fits your personal philosophy. While we can't change the eating habits of our family members (as much as we'd like to) we can be an example of what vegetarianism is and what it looks like. Sometimes people take notice more of what you do than what you say and you never know who is watching you. Just as that light (and little voice) went off in your head about eating animals, your vegetarianism and the way you live your life may convince others to do the same. If you need any assistance, you'll always find some help on VB.

Aristede book2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#5 Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Banned

What a brilliant intro post smiley.gif

Hi and welcome back!

#6 Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM

Thanks, everyone! I'm already starting to feel the positive effects of changing my diet, and of course, taking a stand for the animals.

I do have some SUPER exciting news - I am switching my dog to a vegan diet. I found some awesome baked treats by Nature's animals, which he loves, and I have ordered a new dog food online. The food has amazing reviews, and best of all, it doesn't have any animal by-products. God knows what's actually in that. I have also found a lot of reports that link a veg*n diet in dogs with longevity, because, who doesn't wish their dog could live forever?

:)

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#7 Old 07-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

That's awesome! I've heard dogs do very well on a vegan diet. smiley.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#8 Old 07-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Akeona and welcome back to VeggieBoards.thumbsup.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page