Hi from Nova Scotia!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM

Hi, my name is Graham and my wife and I have already gone through some pretty dramatic changes since 2009.  she's lost 102 pounds, i've lost 65 and have gone from being a couch potato to a marathon runner.  well we're looking at changing a little more yet and getting rid of meat from our diets but doing it slowly, like we did with our weight loss.  i'm assuming that it may be more difficult for me to make the change because of the amount of running that i do in a week during marathon training.  I look forward to hearing from anyone who can offer me insight as to how to get started. thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Graham -

CONRATS to you both on the weight loss!!!  notworthy.gif

I would suggest asking yourself WHY you want to stop eating meat.  All the reasons I can think of....HEALTH, ANIMAL RIGHTS, RELIGIOUS, etc. justify stopping sooner than later.  Stopping quickly will increase your health that much sooner.  My cholesterol level dropped dramatically, & I felt better very soon after quitting immediately.  I had about $150 in food that I threw out, as well.  I never looked back.

If you're worried about meat & running.....check out this 101 YO veg*n marathon runner.

http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2013/02/25/101-year-old-vegetarian-runner-completes-his-final-marathon/

There are a lot of guys & gals here that have been veg*s longer than me.....but that's just my humble opinion.  BTW - Nova Scotia is beautiful!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!! 

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#3 Old 05-11-2013, 10:18 AM

thanks.  what we've learned about losing weight and we'll apply it to moving away from meat is that your chances at success are better if you implement small changes than to try to do it all at once. my only concern as a marathon runner is getting the protein i need.  i'll be doing my homework, for sure. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-11-2013, 11:54 PM

Hello and welcome!

There are a lot of vegan and vegetarian athletes here that will be able to give you fantastic advice! (I am not one of them! laugh.gif ) And lots of professional sportsmen and -women out there who are vegan or veggie, always worth looking at.  My advice there is that I really don't think you have anything to worry about! But definitely good to do a lot of research, and get advice from the very knowledgeable people on this board too!

Congratulations on such amazing life changes, and for making the decision to reduce your meat consumption.  Books you may find interesting given your interest in health and weight loss are those by John McDougall, as well as The China Study by Colin Campbell.  Neil Barnard also has interesting stuff!

I read something interesting yesterday that suggests that if you are planning a gradual change, instead of focusing just on cutting out meat, think more about adding things to your diet.  Rather than thinking "I must not have meat on this plate", think about getting more veggies, grains, pulses, etc on there.  That way you are replacing it straight away with healthy stuff, rather than just taking away what was once perhaps a main part of your plate.  Use less meat, have it not be centre stage of each meal, until eventually you are using so many other things, that you don't really need to bother adding the meat at all.  Sorry, I'm not sure that makes sense.   I hope it does, and that you get something useful out of it.  If not, apologies!laugh.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page