A vegetarian with a Conscience! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 AM

Hello there everyone...

I have been vegetarian for close to 8 years now. I was pescetarian prior to that for about 2 years... Initially my less than socially accepted lifestyle was due to wanting a healthier lifestyle after having returned from a health farm in the Philippines. The health farm introduced me to raw/living food which totally blew me away. I never knew the whole concept of enzymes in our food that could effect our regenerating properties of our bodies, etc.

That was the beginning of my journey to discovering more about the foods I put into my body. It has been a somewhat tumultuous journey of discovering my limits and my attachments as well as my resilience!

What helped in my journey was my discovery of spirituality within Buddhism 3+ years back... It added a much needed dimension. A 'voice' of reason and a conscience so to speak. It was the mortar needed to strengthen my conviction and belief in my vegetarian aspirations! It was that final key of morality and mortality needed for me personally, to continue in my journey. This is my story!

Here is an interesting article on vegetarians: http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/animals-vegetarianism/are-vegetarians-smarter.html 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome Andrew. smiley.gif 

I find Buddhism intriguing, but I haven't delved into it too far myself. What sort are you involved with?

#3 Old 01-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Hi Andrew and welcome! _/\_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

Welcome Andrew. smiley.gif

I find Buddhism intriguing, but I haven't delved into it too far myself. What sort are you involved with?

I am in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition... I find that it best suits my life and how I perceive matters! What would you say you are at the moment?

#5 Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Hi Andrew and welcome! _/\_

Thank you!

#6 Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJamesKL View Post

I am in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition... I find that it best suits my life and how I perceive matters! What would you say you are at the moment?

I'm not anything, I've just read some Thich Nhat Hanh and some writings on meditation. 

#7 Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Ankle Biter

hi.gif I have a meditation practice and sit with a local Zen group frequently. On a recent visit to Boulder, CO, I visited the Shambala Center with a friend who is a teacher there. The practice rooms in the center were gorgeous!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#8 Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Beginner

Welcome!!  Soto Zen Buddhist here.   We are vegetarian.   And I love Thich Nhat Hahn.  

I don't know if any of you have seen a room full of vegetarians, but we look much different that a group of "regular" Americans.   It was really shocking when I went there for the first time.  Everyone was so thin and healthy.   Same thing when I go to a Buddhist retreat.  If there is any question as the the health of vegetarians, check out a Buddhist or 7th Day Adventist group. 

We're hot. wink3.gif

#9 Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! I'm not a Buddhist but I practice Tai Chi which in a way is a meditation in motion :) I admit I'm intrigued also by Buddhism, we have a Tibetan Buddhist Temple in my city and one of my neighbours is a monk. Well I think, not sure about the titles but he wears the orange and rust colored wrapped clothing all the time, we salute each other in the bus almost everyday.

Crystal Lotus likes this.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#10 Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I'm not anything, I've just read some Thich Nhat Hanh and some writings on meditation. 

Thich Nhat Hanh is a fab! I have read some of his books too... :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page