New here, new to veganism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-05-2012, 09:13 PM

Hey everyone,

I decided to create an account here as it seems to be the most active vegan/vegetarian forum on the Web, and I really just need a little reassurance as I've decided to cut animal products out of my diet entirely. I don't know where to start; I kind of feel like I'm making this more difficult than it should be, or maybe making too big a deal out of it, but I'm nearly 21 and I've eaten primarily meat my whole life. And I don't mean a well-balanced meal with some greens and a reasonable portion of chicken or something on the side; all I eat is meat and deep fried stuff like french fries -- just horribly unhealthy stuff.

About a week ago, I was stuffing my face with some low-quality frozen chicken when I realized just how horrific the consumption of animal products really is. I don't know why, but it's like everything changed and I suddenly couldn't stand the thought of eating another intelligent being anymore -- I couldn't even finish my meal, which is where the confusion and awkwardness comes in, considering I've never eaten any kind of vegetables or hardly any fruit in my life...

I mean, I'd have to completely dissect a burrito from Taco Bell just to make sure there wasn't a single trace of lettuce on it, for example.

Personally, I'm completely fine with taking the time to adapt to a food group that I don't really like; I simply can't continue to eat dead animals and feel okay with myself.

My main problem is that I've recently moved back into my mom's house until I can find a new place, which might be a few months, as I'm currently in my second year of college and constantly working on my startup. Virtually all of my family are primarily meat-eaters who have an unreasonable intolerance for anything even remotely close to vegetarianism, let alone veganism.

I know I probably seem like I'm *****ing or being difficult or whatever, but it's seriously a huge deal for my family. My dad gets completely pissed and goes off on a huge rant if he even hears the word vegetarian on the TV or radio, asserting that vegetarianism is unhealthy and unnatural, even though evolution suggests otherwise.

I'm not just trying to be some hipster like meat is murder, man! :B and I wasn't scared into this concept by some graphic Peta video, but anyone with half a brain should realize that raising intelligent animals only to become meals for us humans is ridiculous and unethical. I don't know why it took me nearly 21 years to realize, but it seems so clear now.

I have no idea why any of you guys have cut meat out of your diet; maybe it's because you wanted to switch over to a healthier lifestyle or maybe you're against animal cruelty as well -- I'm not looking to start a huge argument on what any of this is about, I'm really just looking for a little support and maybe some motivation to stick with my decision. Like I said; this is all very new to me and it's a huge change switching from a diet of dead animals to vegetation, so go easy on me if I'm being a little crazy or making too big a deal over this change. I just feel like it's the right thing to do and I hope we can find some common ground.

I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to read this; sorry if it's a bit lengthy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2012, 09:43 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Did you seriously just in the middle of a meal come to that realization on your own? :O That's so heartwarming and touching *sniff sniff :/* I had to actually see videos of factory farms and get more of an idea of veganism before everything was just like BOOM CLEAR! (By the way, Peta is not the only one with factory farm video :P I'm very much a "meat is murder" believer, though I don't go around saying it quite like that. I adopt a more positive, informative approach.)

Anyway, anyway, I think this is a great choice! Seems like you don't know where to start. That's fine! We are all beginners at first :D Just take your time and ease your way into things. You'll eventually get to the point where you want to be, so dont' overstress yourself.

Breaking it to my family was a huge deal too. I had my mom in tears cuz she was so scared for me. Oh my o.o But, lol, I still got here and now my mom is supportive of me. Just takes some time, around 6 months or so, for them to realize you haven't turned blue or something lol. Seems like your dad may be a tough cookie. You are an adult though, so you can make decisions really without their approval. If you tell them you are vegan...well there really isn't much they can do to stop you. :)

Oh, and if you like speeches, you will definitely want to check out "The Best Speech You Will Ever Hear" on youtube. So awesome. It really influences a lot of people :) So if you have an hour or so to spare, kick back, take some time, and watch the magic of a really good public speaker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Weto6obyzQ

Here is also another good public speaker, Melanie Joy, about veganism. She even wrote a book that I'm reading right now =3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vWbV9FPo_Q

Here are some animal rights groups that you may not know of ! They have tons of good info and support to give :)

You can learn more about veganism at

http://www.veganoutreach.com

http://www.mercyforanimals.com

http://www.chooseveg.com

http://www.compassionoverkilling.com

These sites will help you know how to keep healthy will living the vegan lifestyle <3 You don't need to know all the nitty gritty details. Just have a basic idea :)

http://www.veganhealth.org/

http://www.vegan.org/FAQs/index.html

This is a lot of links and information. But it's all there, without me having to type pages out =3 So take your time. Browse around at your own pace and what is comfortable for you.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to say welcome to the boards! Glad to have you here <3

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 08-05-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Did you seriously just in the middle of a meal come to that realization on your own? :O That's so heartwarming and touching *sniff sniff :/* I had to actually see videos of factory farms and get more of an idea of veganism before everything was just like BOOM CLEAR! (By the way, Peta is not the only one with factory farm video :P I'm very much a "meat is murder" believer, though I don't go around saying it quite like that. I adopt a more positive, informative approach.)

Anyway, anyway, I think this is a great choice! Seems like you don't know where to start. That's fine! We are all beginners at first :D Just take your time and ease your way into things. You'll eventually get to the point where you want to be, so dont' overstress yourself.

Breaking it to my family was a huge deal too. I had my mom in tears cuz she was so scared for me. Oh my o.o But, lol, I still got here and now my mom is supportive of me. Just takes some time, around 6 months or so, for them to realize you haven't turned blue or something lol. Seems like your dad may be a tough cookie. You are an adult though, so you can make decisions really without their approval. If you tell them you are vegan...well there really isn't much they can do to stop you. :)

Thanks! I really appreciate all the detail here.

It's comforting to hear such a similar story to mine; I guess I already knew that there's no way in hell that I'm the only person who's had to argue their position on such a touchy topic, but it still helps out a lot.

As for my hipster comment there - I meant no disrespect for people who view the consumption of meat as murder as that's very much how I feel about it now. Like I said, this whole experience is really alien to me and I feel a bit out of place at this point; it was pretty spontaneous. I've just seen so much negativity towards veganism/vegetarianism that I didn't know whether or not I'd be criticized - even in a vegetarian community.

Again; thanks for all the links and info - I'm about to go dig through some of that right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-05-2012, 10:22 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by damagedbits View Post

Thanks! I really appreciate all the detail here.

It's comforting to hear such a similar story to mine; I guess I already knew that there's no way in hell that I'm the only person who's had to argue their position on such a touchy topic, but it still helps out a lot.

As for my hipster comment there - I meant no disrespect for people who view the consumption of meat as murder as that's very much how I feel about it now. Like I said, this whole experience is really alien to me and I feel a bit out of place at this point; it was pretty spontaneous. I've just seen so much negativity towards veganism/vegetarianism that I didn't know whether or not I'd be criticized - even in a vegetarian community.

Again; thanks for all the links and info - I'm about to go dig through some of that right now.

Not a probelm!! I hope you find some of the stuff useful. I'm still surprised that you just stopped one day and were like..."how can I eat animals o.O" It's not something many really stop and think about. ^_^

Yes there are many people who have a negative view of veganism, but that is really changing quite quickly. Vegans are growing in numbers. I see a lot more articles and headlines dealing with veganism. Opponents are running out of logical arguments. You are going to be criticized for your choice. But take it in stride thumbsup.gif as many are in denial, and some are just misinformed. As this quote so well explains. "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." --Arthur Schopenhauer. And it's true! There is a lot of things this pertains to! Let's hope we can be less violent about it though :3

We are a veg friendly community full of both vegans and vegetarians. There are actually a nice bunch of people here. You will find plenty of support.  ^_^

It might take you a month or more to get into the full gist of veganism, but that's okay! It takes some time to really internalize and process these new revelations xP. I still am learning new things. Take it easy, take your time, ^_^

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#5 Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome, damagedbits!

Congrats on your decision. I think it was admirable. You should definitely eat fruits and vegetables for the sake of your health, but if you are struggling to enjoy them, keep in mind that there are other vegan options too. Even fast food options like fresco style bean burritos from Taco Bell (mostly refried beans with some onion and tomato). There is also bread (often but not always vegan), peanut butter, pasta, vegan pizza, mock meats and so on. Also, I recommend doing some internet searching regarding vegan food in wherever it is you live, because many cities and college towns have eateries that cater to vegans and some grocers that are more vegan-friendly than others.

#6 Old 08-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome, congrats.

You may want to begin by learning to cook. Get done cookbooks and watch some videos. That will make like with carnivores easier.
#7 Old 08-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Zelda Freak

Welcome! We have a new vegan support thread and challenge going on over here - https://www.veggieboards.com/t/136762/new-vegan-support-and-challenge-to-go-vegan - come join up if you like :) 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#8 Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 AM

There are also lots of tricks to make veggies taste better if you're not a fan! I really hated veggies when I first became vegetarian, but finally conceeded that I needed to start eating way more of them for the sake of my health. I have never been fond of plain steamed veggies so I usually roast them in the oven with garlic and pepper on them, and use tangy flavorings like lemon juice, tomato sauce, or vinegar. Spices, onions, garlic, avocado and so on are all great ways to make veggies more exciting. I still hate most plain veggies but eat a ton of veggies every day now by pairing them with yummy flavors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page