Introducing myself - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-28-2012, 11:18 AM

Hello, 

I'm Jackie and I'm new to the vegetarian world (as of 3 days ago). I just recently became aware of the widespread cruelty of factory farming (thank you Facebook) and can't stand the thought of perpetuating it. I don't know that I will ever become a full fledged Vegan but I am extremely interested.

I'm looking forward to finding out what the best tasting vegetarian/vegan brands are as I can't afford to waste any money right now trying stuff that's just nasty...lol! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Ankle Biter

Welcome to VB, Jackie!  There are all kinds of wonderful vegetarian and vegan options these days.  What kinds of foods do you like in particular?

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 06-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!

You should check out the recipes forums - there are a lot of tasty vegetarian/vegan recipes that I'm sure you would enjoy.

Congrats on making the switch. smiley.gif

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-28-2012, 02:45 PM

thanks! I like cheese, milk, ground beef, bacon, chicken and occasionally beef steak. I use a lot of boullion cubes for flavoring - which I'm sure is made of something I'd rather not know about so I need some sort of flavoring as well. There are not a lot of spices that I like other than onion, garlic, celery flakes, chili powder and salt.

There aren't a lot of choices in my area without traveling to another town nearby which I don't often do. 

I tried the Almond milk and it's good-it's a little thick but I plan to water it down just a bit next time. (I'm used to skim milk) I'm a bit concerned about drinking the almond milk because nuts cause my skin to break out. So I guess I'll try the soy milk next.

So whatcha know about that's good to substitute for the above that doesn't have a funky SMELL or texture....I've gotten weird about the odor of food in my old age! Tried tofu noodles and the whole time I was eating them I couldn't get that odor out of my mind....lol!

#5 Old 06-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Ankle Biter

Did you rinse the noodles before you cooked them?  They definitely need to be well-rinsed!

I would suggest that you first invest in a good vegan cookbook.  There are several listed in our reviews section.  Sure, you can use substitutes, but you'll also need to work with new items like tempeh and seitan to fully appreciate how complete veg*n cooking can be. smiley.gif

You may want to try rice milk next time - it's almost the exact same consistency as skim milk.

Some of my favorite substitutes are:

Fakin Bacon

Better Than Cream Cheese

Better Than Sour Cream

Lightlife Smart Deli "Baked Ham"

Tofurky slices

Vegenaise (mayonnaise)

Daiya Monterey Jack (new, can be hard to find)

Daiya Mozzarella shreds

Boca crumbles

Gardein brand chick*n substitutes

Field Roast MeatLoaf

Field Roast Celebration roast

Hope that's a start for you!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page