Hi! New to boards- Any other pro-hunting veggies like me? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Banned

I am 22 years old, and have been vegetarian for 4 years now. I was vegetarian off and on from about age 13 until then, but had some problems with cravings, and parental concerns about health, hence the off bit of those years.

Anyway, I am new to these boards; I actually stumbled upon them trying to see if their were any other pro-hunting vegetarians like myself. I always get so made at meat eaters who condemn hunting, and I was sort of looking for people to share my anger lol. Any other contradictions like me haha?

And for the people that are confused, I'm pro-hunting in the sense that I support people eating the meat they hunted rather than the stuff bought from a regular grocery store. I assume everybody knows how DEPLORABLY animals bred for meat are generally treated- from birth until death. So obviously it's infinitely better to eat an animal that has lived a free happy life and hopefully had a quick death. If someone is going to eat meat anyway. Which I believe is a personal choice.

I'm also curious about which reasons others of you became veggie for? For me, it was loving animals, and not being able to/not wanting to forget that there used to be a living breathing, intelligent piggy in the bacon sizzling on the stove- much more horrifying than appealing. Also I found out what the meat industry does. So those were my reasons. What about you guys? Same ones, or different?

Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2012, 04:22 AM
Ex-*****

Okay, so your primary stance is that you're against hunting? It's only when compared to factory farming that you favour hunting, right? So then you're not really "pro-hunting". Well, I don't think that's a very outlandish mindset around here.

Welcome to VB!

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#3 Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Probably won't win me many friends here.... but I have no ethical problems with someone who "fair chase" hunts for food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi and welcome to VeggieBoards... I am vegetarian for health, environmental, and animal welfare reasons myself. I deplore factory farming and sport hunting but have zero problem with people who hunt for subsistence. My personal stance is that meat-eating is not inherently wrong or cruel, but the methods we now use to procure it are.
#5 Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't describe myself as "pro-hunting" because I don't actively encourage it, but I don't aim to have it banned or anything if that's what you mean. I've barely ever done it myself either, so I couldn't really have much in-depth discussion about it.

Jesus saved me, but the file was corrupted.
#6 Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Many animals are wounded and not killed by hunters. Bow hunters wound and don't kill 50% of the time. Read this stuff if you think hunting is all humane and noble. It's pretty graphic, I had a hard time with it, but I'm wimpy that way.http://www.veganpeace.com/animal_cruelty/hunting.htm
#7 Old 04-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Many animals are wounded and not killed by hunters. Bow hunters wound and don't kill 50% of the time. Read this stuff if you think hunting is all humane and noble. It's pretty graphic, I had a hard time with it, but I'm wimpy that way.http://www.veganpeace.com/animal_cruelty/hunting.htm

That is just awful as off course there are no 'animal ambulances' that come and rescue them.

I am totally, 100% against any kind of animal hunting.
#8 Old 04-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Banned

I'm pro-hunting hunters myself.

Defo there should be a 'hunt the hunter' permit (cannibal interest?) you can buy during hunting season.

Obviously it's infinitely better to eat a person that has lived a free happy life and hopefully had a quick death. If someone is going to be a cannibal anyway. Which I believe is a personal choice.

On top of that there is the benefit that actualy having something that can fight back on an equal footing hiding in the woods would make hunting much more fun
#9 Old 04-14-2012, 02:55 AM

I think being PRO-hunting would mean you encourage hunting, you seem to encourage getting meat via hunting methods over factory farming methods. The situations of hunting and the outcome differ too much to really say which one is worse, why support either?

Anyways welcome.

“It's no good to put aside your own happiness to bear the sorrow of others.”

- Xam'd of the Lost Memories

#10 Old 04-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Hiya.

I'm anti hunting if it's not necessary for survival, but I agree with you in thinking that factory farming is much worse. It's weird to me when either A- meat eaters have a problem with hunting or B- veg*ns have a bigger problem with hunters than people who purchase and consume meat.
#11 Old 04-14-2012, 06:10 AM

have you read Hannibal CG?

the problem with eating hunters can be that they have cirrhosis of the liver, according to that book.

#12 Old 04-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

Hiya.

I'm anti hunting if it's not necessary for survival, but I agree with you in thinking that factory farming is much worse. It's weird to me when either A- meat eaters have a problem with hunting or B- veg*ns have a bigger problem with hunters than people who purchase and consume meat.

This is how I feel as well.
#13 Old 04-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Where I live I don't see a need for hunting, but I've been wrong before. I do suppose it would be the lesser of the two evils.
#14 Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

B- veg*ns have a bigger problem with hunters than people who purchase and consume meat.

Because many non-hunting carnists have consciences, and are simply in denial. They say they wouldn't eat meat at all if they had to kill the animal themselves. Therefore they are open to persuasion and change. Hunters are not. They kill because they like it, or they wouldn't do it.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#15 Old 04-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Can't one be a vegetarian and a hunter and still even have a conscience?
#16 Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Can't one be a vegetarian and a hunter and still even have a conscience?

One that is limited to only avoiding human harm, maybe.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#17 Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

For todays world I can rationalize that some people hunt. Being omnivorous gave people the ability to eat what around them in all seasons. Meat made sense for many.
There may be few who still fit in that catagory, in most modern societies, but there are.
I read that Inuit Alaskan Indians don't have the ability to get certain nutrients from plant foods that others have evolved to have. Because their diet was so much more heavy on meats.

Anyway. I don't support hunting, but can understand if it's justified, responsible, and limited to need-which wouldn't be much.
I'm also not sure about people being in denial being more open to change.

This is a weird thread

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#18 Old 04-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

For todays world I can rationalize that some people hunt. Being omnivorous gave people the ability to eat what around them in all seasons. Meat made sense for many.
There may be few who still fit in that catagory, in most modern societies, but there are.
I read that Inuit Alaskan Indians don't have the ability to get certain nutrients from plant foods that others have evolved to have. Because their diet was so much more heavy on meats.

Anyway. I don't support hunting, but can understand if it's justified, responsible, and limited to need-which wouldn't be much.
I'm also not sure about people being in denial being more open to change.

This is a weird thread

It's not the denial that makes them open, it's when they admit that if they had to kill the animals themselves they would stop eating meat. That's when you can ask them to think about why it's ok for them if someone else does it for them. They will often admit you have a point.

There is no such reasoning with hunters.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#19 Old 04-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

The OP has been banned, so I'm closing the thread.

*this space not for sale*
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page