New to Veg*nism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-08-2011, 07:18 PM

Hey, I'm an 18 year old college student. I was lacto ovo vegetarian for around 5 months this year (from December 29th to around May), and then my mom took me to a nutritionist to try and figure out some allergies I have, and the guy pretty much told me that I have to eat meat, and I have no choice on that. So... my mom made me start eating meat again.

But... now that I'm in college and living on my own... I'm going veg*n again. It'll be a bit more difficult because of actual allergies and intolerances... for example, I can't have anything with olives or olive oil, no flax or flaxseed, I'm intolerant to gluten, so there really aren't any grains I can have...

But yeah. I am on here just to get some support (I live in Texas... in the middle of a whole bunch of cattle ranchers and people who grew up around it... so meat is important to them), as well as to get some ideas, and maybe even some advice on what kind of supplements and vitamins I'd need to take to make sure I stay healthy. Which I would need whether I'm veg*n or not.

So... yeah. Hi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! One of the many nice things about veg*nism is that it gives you the opportunity to learn about LOTS of great foods that many people don't even know about, so hopefully you'll be able to find some nice staple foods that work for you. Just make sure that you do a lot of nutrition research before making a complete switch to veg*nism, especially since you have dietary limitations. VB is a great resource -- there's a forum for pretty much any topic you can think of, so feel free to ask questions.

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." --Martin Buber
#3 Old 11-08-2011, 09:17 PM

Thanks, and I agree. I am currently taking two B vitamin supplements, I know one is B12, don't remember what the other one was. I have never really eaten a lot of meat anyways... so my diet really isn't changing hardly at all... just that I won't have the options of eggs and dairy (which I've actually almost completely stopped eating recently... not sure why... just haven't been wanting it). Fish... never eaten much of it at all... not a huge fan.

I'm not making an "official" switch until I have all my fats, proteins, vitamins, etc all worked out, but yeah. Stinks that I'm in college without access to a kitchen for another year and a half... but veg*n or not... I still have the dietary restrictions... so I always have the option of talking to the head of the dining services about it. And there's always salads... Which I like... with lots of stuff on them.

So yeah... thanks. I'm heading to bed now... but I'll definitely be checking out all of the nutrition resources on here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page