Where can i buy vegan / vegetarian foods??!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-13-2011, 10:52 PM

Hi all!

I am new to the site and also newly working on becoming vegetarian so I hope that this forum will help me on the path

It all started when a friend of mine "liked" www.change.org on Facebook and I went to see what it was all about... Basically the site is full of petitions fighting for various issues, being an animal lover I headed for the 'animals' sections and found myself electronically signing petitions a few at a time at first but I felt compelled to go back and support animal causes because there were so many that needed support and I guess selfishly it made me feel that in some small way I can contribute to improving the world.

Having now read so many awful things I am doing my best to move over to vegetarianism, a week in and I am convinced I feel a change in energy, mental clarity and karma!!

I am based in Alberta in Canada and am not sure where to get vegan / vegetarian foods here - i would be really grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction?!

I would be interested in learning other peoples stories and what helped you to make the adjustment?

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

They're in your regular grocery store: produce! If you're interested in being a healthy vegan, you'll need to eat mostly veggies and grains. Buy some quinoa in bulk, it's a seed and is a "complete" protein. Cook it like rice, and add whatever you want. If you're interested in mock meats, most major grocery stores carry veggie burgers and the like. I'm seeing Gardein products a lot more, and I can vouch for their deliciousness.

I think of the conversion to vegetarianism as a process. I certainly didn't become vegan overnight, and I did slip up a lot, especially during the beginning. For motivation, watch Earthlings. http://www.watchearthlings.com/

For starter information:
http://www.veganoutreach.org/

We're here for you, ask as many questions as you want. There are excellent recipes and advice for beginners in various subforums.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#3 Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello there and welcome! We're glad to have you here.

To answer your shopping question: My boyfriend and I are also in Canada and do most of our shopping at Sobey's, Safeway, and Superstore. Between those stores we have no problem finding lots of good variety for produce, grains and fake meats. We pick up a variety fruit and nuts for snacks and try to keep a few easy to prepare meals on hand. Pastas, stir fries, and veg*n pizzas are very easy and can be made however you like them. Don't be afraid to try new recipes! We currently try to test one new recipe a week. This way we don't eat the same things all the time, but if something doesn't work out it's not a huge setback for the week's grocery budget.

Best wishes on your vegetarian journey.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to Veggieboards!

I think your questions have been answered. And have a look in the Canada forum https://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/fo....php?26-Canada
#5 Old 10-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Banned

Welcome! Everyone has given you great advice and if you're into cooking and what-not, check out the recipe section. There are so many tasty dishes you can make from some very basic ingredients found just about anywhere:

https://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/fo...php?36-Recipes
#6 Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Well, I usually do my grocery shopping... at the grocery store :P.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#7 Old 10-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Like others have said, you can find most or all of your vegan food needs right at your local grocery store (or farmer's market). If you stick to vegetables, fruits, grains, and legumes then you'll be just fine and the only additional thing you'll need is a reliable source of B12. That source can be a chewable vitamin tablet that you can get in the pharmacy or fortified soy or nut milk.

Many grocery stores now carry some other basics that are helpful to many vegans such as tofu and soymilk. In fact, I have yet to find a grocery store that does not offer those products. The things that are harder to find are soy or coconut milk yogurts, ice creams made from soy, almonds or coconuts, vegan cream cheeses and other soy cheeses, vegan deli slices and sausages, etc. But like the others have said, you don't *need* those products.

If you want specialty vegan foods then you can ask your grocery to carry them for you. Ask for things like Gardein products and Tofurkey brand products because those sell well and other consumers will thank you. Another way to get specialty vegan products is to shop online and have them mailed to you. Check out www.foodfightgrocery.com www.veganessentials.com and www.cosmosveganshoppe.com for some mail-order foods. Or just do a web search for "vegan store" and see what comes up.
#8 Old 10-28-2011, 09:33 PM

Wow thanks for all the great advice everyone! I know it has been a while since I last posted but so far still sticking to it! Not finding it too difficult so far i keep trying to educate myself and the more i learn the more attractive a vegan diet is primarily for compassionate reasons but also health! but I am sure there will be times when I miss certain foods! I think dairy is going to be my biggest challenge so am planning to try some vegan cheeses and different milks not crazy about soy or rice milk but will keep experimenting and coming to veggie boards for advice!

Really appreciate all the help

Laura x
#9 Old 10-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Ira
Banned

Glad it is goung well! My favorite milk is almond, it is awesome! and when it comes to cheese daiya is the best (imo, not all agree). i guess cheese is the one thing where vegan versions isn't that great yet
#10 Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 PM

Lol - River! I guess it's because I am British and new to Canada I find the stores a bit different in terms of availability and choice .. I know where to buy vegetables! I guess I should have worded my question a bit better but thanks everyone for the info about the fake meats various milks etc!

Laura x
#11 Old 10-28-2011, 09:41 PM

Lol - River! I guess it's because I am British and new to Canada I find the stores a bit different in terms of availability and choice .. I know where to buy vegetables! I guess I should have worded my question a bit better but thanks everyone for the info about the fake meats various milks etc!

Laura x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page