My Veg Story - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-08-2011, 06:37 PM

Hi everyone! I'm Bailey and I'm a 31 year old healthcare worker from Kentucky. Becoming a vegetarian is one of the best things I've ever done & I decided to find a place on the web to talk to like minded people!

Vegetarianism is something I'd given thought to before but always dismissed as too extreme. Last September I watched an interview with the actress Emily Deschanel (who has been vegan since high school) and she mentioned doing Meatless Mondays and how just that could save so many animals & help the environment. I thought "hey, I could so do that!" So the next Monday I gave it a try, without telling anyone my plan, just in case. I ended up eating chicken that evening (when someone hand delivered it to my door!) but tried again the next Monday and succeeded. Then I told my sister, who decided to join in. I even cooked a few meatless Monday meals for various people.

I have IBS, and noticed my symptoms were less on those days I wasn't eating meat, actually I felt better all over. Ethically and physically. I watched "Meet Your Meat" and some other videos on the industry and the idea of meat started making my stomach turn. Every Monday I'd hear in my head "and then one Tuesday I just decided I was gonna keep it going all week." Then one day in late October as I sat down to a lunch at work, I looked down at the meat on my plate and thought "I cannot do this anymore." I didn't finish that meal and aside from a few instances when I ate something I didn't realize had meat in it, I've been meat free.

I'm closing in on a year now since going vegetarian and I feel great! I lost twenty pounds without even trying because this wasn't a diet, this was about not feeling good about eating animals. I do have to be careful not to overdo the carbs, because I love them, but I've found so many new dishes to cook. I love making myself a healthy, meat free meal, that taste amazing. It makes me feel proud.

At first I just told people I was going to eat less meat, but they soon figured out I wasn't eating any. I got weird looks and even stern lectures. And i hear "but dont you miss meat?" at least twice a week. Sometimes I try to explain and other times I just grin and munch down on my spinach. I think my friends/family have finally realized this is something I'm doing for me, and that I do not expect them to follow suit, and I don't think less of them for eating meat.

I want to eventually go vegan. For now, at home, I use soy or rice milk, no eggs, vegan butter, etc. Eating out in my small-town is a major issue though and I'm not sure I'll ever be 100% vegan but believe that every step I make in that direction is a positive one.

Sorry to be so long winded, I'm just excited to post my story for people who will actually "get it" and not judge me. Can't wait to get involved in your community!

Bailey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2011, 07:02 PM

Hi, and nice story! I hear ya about looking down at the meat on your plate and thinking you could not do it anymore. I felt the same way. I asked myself, "Is this really necessary?"
#3 Old 08-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Congrats on going veg! Hope you enjoy your time here!

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

and welcome!
#5 Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Give peas a chance

Welcome!

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#6 Old 08-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey2 View Post

Hi everyone! I'm Bailey and I'm a 31 year old healthcare worker from Kentucky. Becoming a vegetarian is one of the best things I've ever done & I decided to find a place on the web to talk to like minded people!

Vegetarianism is something I'd given thought to before but always dismissed as too extreme. Last September I watched an interview with the actress Emily Deschanel (who has been vegan since high school) and she mentioned doing Meatless Mondays and how just that could save so many animals & help the environment. I thought "hey, I could so do that!" So the next Monday I gave it a try, without telling anyone my plan, just in case. I ended up eating chicken that evening (when someone hand delivered it to my door!) but tried again the next Monday and succeeded. Then I told my sister, who decided to join in. I even cooked a few meatless Monday meals for various people.

I have IBS, and noticed my symptoms were less on those days I wasn't eating meat, actually I felt better all over. Ethically and physically. I watched "Meet Your Meat" and some other videos on the industry and the idea of meat started making my stomach turn. Every Monday I'd hear in my head "and then one Tuesday I just decided I was gonna keep it going all week." Then one day in late October as I sat down to a lunch at work, I looked down at the meat on my plate and thought "I cannot do this anymore." I didn't finish that meal and aside from a few instances when I ate something I didn't realize had meat in it, I've been meat free.

I'm closing in on a year now since going vegetarian and I feel great! I lost twenty pounds without even trying because this wasn't a diet, this was about not feeling good about eating animals. I do have to be careful not to overdo the carbs, because I love them, but I've found so many new dishes to cook. I love making myself a healthy, meat free meal, that taste amazing. It makes me feel proud.

At first I just told people I was going to eat less meat, but they soon figured out I wasn't eating any. I got weird looks and even stern lectures. And i hear "but dont you miss meat?" at least twice a week. Sometimes I try to explain and other times I just grin and munch down on my spinach. I think my friends/family have finally realized this is something I'm doing for me, and that I do not expect them to follow suit, and I don't think less of them for eating meat.

I want to eventually go vegan. For now, at home, I use soy or rice milk, no eggs, vegan butter, etc. Eating out in my small-town is a major issue though and I'm not sure I'll ever be 100% vegan but believe that every step I make in that direction is a positive one.

Sorry to be so long winded, I'm just excited to post my story for people who will actually "get it" and not judge me. Can't wait to get involved in your community!

Bailey

Welcome! There are lots of people like you on VB's: vegetarians who are near-vegan, but for a variety of reasons cannot go vegan 100%. That's okay, we all have different circumstances to deal with. Sounds like you are 95% vegan or more anyhow - so you're doing great
#7 Old 08-09-2011, 03:53 AM
Veggie Regular

That's awesome. Sounds like you naturally did the gradual plan that works for many. Start eating veg*n for part of a week and then gradually grow that until it becomes second nature as your day-in, day-out eating lifestyle.

That moment when you look down at meat on your plate and realize you cannot do this anymore is one to remember. I can remember exactly what I was doing and where I was when I had that moment three years ago.

And welcome. Even though I am in the Northwest now, I did spend a couple years down in Tennessee and enjoyed it there.
#8 Old 08-09-2011, 08:48 AM

Welcome
#9 Old 08-09-2011, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
#10 Old 08-09-2011, 03:48 PM

Hi Bailey:
Great story. You should start a blog or something to chronicle your path. You write well.
And I can tell you from experience that after a while, you'll basically never think about meat any longer.
I'm a vegan - and you're right, it isn't easy. Especially when traveling. For many years I wouldn't eat anything non-vegan, but I've changed that when I travel now. It just becomes too difficult. But when I'm home it's easy.
Anyway - welcome to the vegetarian "tribe" and good luck with everything.
Udey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page