Brief Bio, Jimdavis - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi!

I'm a newbie since February 14. I'm 35 years old and pretty obsessed with food--its history, culture, preparation, taste, literature, economic impact, ecological impact, the works. I don't know why this is the case, but as MFK Fisher said, "When I write of hunger, I am really writing about love and the hunger for it, and warmth and the love of it and it is all one."

I was born in Oregon, went to college in Indiana (Go Wabash!), lived in Oregon some more, lived in New York City for 5 years (4 years in a commune of 100 people), and most recently moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan which I believe will be my home for the next couple of decades at least.

I have an incredible fiancee who I will marry in July (it's been a two year engagement).

I have a very closeknit group of friends for the last ten years who I am now away from and have to connect with only over long distance communications. A picture cell phone helps that a lot. I miss them.

As for my veg*n story... About eleven years ago I made a friend who became my best friend and she was vegetarian. We had many discussions and soul-searching about the reasons and I thought about it a lot. After a year, I stopped eating mammals and a few months later stopped eating anything with a nervous system. I've found that my initial reasons for becoming veg*n have aged like a good wine, many of the initial harsher reasons have mellowed and now there's a panoply of much more subtle reasons that play upon my tongue for why I'm vegetarian, which deal as much with humans, culture, gastronomy, and economy as animals themselves. About three and a half years ago I became vegan and was vegan until about three weeks ago. Now I don't even have a label for what I am... although schmegetarian is looking more and more appealing.

I was in advertising for five years, but then I left that because it was ethically unappealing to me to encourage the level of capitalism and consumption that exists. I became a bartender for awhile--that was pretty great--mainly to stretch my ability to small talk and learn to care more about a variety of people with different interests than my own. When I lived in the commune I worked as part of the community. The last four years of my life have been preschool age child related. I was a nanny for two years and a preschool teacher for autistic children for a year and now I'm a substitute preschool teacher. I want my own business soon, related to food somehow though, maybe food writer or coffee shop owner or some such... I want to explore this obsession as a career.

My favorite poet is Nikki Giovanni. My favorite authors are Kurt Vonnegut and Tom Robbins. I adore cooking. I want to learn to hunt wild mushrooms. I want to become a Master Gardener.

I like to analze things. I care about humans and non-humans, but I probably care about the health of the earth and of the soil more. If you look at all my beliefs, I'm certainly inconsistent--and quite at peace with that.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB, Jim, and thank you for the great intro.
#3 Old 03-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

PS - I guess I am interested in feedback about whether I'm using Veggieboards appropriately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Jim. welcome.
#5 Old 03-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Howdy Jim.

Thanks for the intro. It's nice to know a bit more about you. I've enjoyed a lot of your posts, topics, and discussions already on VB, so I hope you continue to be a part of the board. You seem to have your head on straight. ; )

- Kp
#6 Old 03-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Jim. That was a great intro! I also like Tom Robbins quite a bit.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage!

What was your experience on a commune like?

Go Oregon!

amy
#7 Old 03-04-2004, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Hi Jim. That was a great intro! I also like Tom Robbins quite a bit.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage!

What was your experience on a commune like?

Go Oregon!

amy

Thanks. I think the experience that I pulled away from the commune the most was about getting along with people. When you live in a communal environment and you want it to be a permanent entity, in order to coexist you have to actually set aside a portion of your day to actively coexist and work out problems with each other--just being tolerant isn't enough. Those people who didn't do that soon left. Other than that social knowledge, living in a commune was much like living outside of one except that most possessions were never really yours... which was a good concept to experience for a while.

Jim
#8 Old 03-04-2004, 01:51 AM
Veggie Regular

The Alpaca Welcomes you to VB! Keep on posting, he says!
#9 Old 03-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome Jim!

I´m happy that you like mushrooms and not cacti!

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#10 Old 03-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome Jim !

I hunt for wild mushrooms every fall. It's the only kind of hunting I like
#11 Old 03-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Jimdavis, welcome. I've seen quite a few of your posts and they're always pretty interesting/informative. Keep on keepin on, or whatever

And that *was* a good intro.
#12 Old 03-06-2004, 01:40 PM

Hi Jim! What a wonderful intro! Welcome to the boards!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page