Hello, veggieboards - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-01-2011, 09:34 PM

My name is Berkeley. I have not started a vegetarian or vegan diet yet, but I intend to soon enough. I am the type of person who may be the last person anyone in my life would think would give up meat and/or animal products entirely.

I'm a university student. A few nights ago I was eating buffalo wings with my mates. Fairly typical meal. At some point during the meal, something clicked in my brain. I stared at the piece of meat in my hand, covered in blue cheese dressing, and the orange fried pieces of flesh amassed on the table in front of me. What seemed like the most enticing meal in the universe fifteen minutes ago now seemed grossly gluttonous and dirty. I took it all in for a few minutes, watching the guys devour the rest of the chicken like Super Hans over a table of narcotics. Maybe the two are similar. I finished the piece I was holding and guzzled down some soda to chase it out of my system.

I still feel the same way days later, and I haven't felt this way before, and I haven't eaten meat since (does fish count?). I have a strange craving to feel really healthy, to eat healthy things, to move away from the university student diet. Today I noticed that nothing I have to eat is healthy or satisfying, and mostly comes off the shelf in little boxes that probably are just relabeled Vietnam War surplus provisions.

My plans for the immediate future are to head down to the super market and get some fruits and vegetables. I don't know how long this experiment is to last. I don't have much in the way of guidance. I take a multi-vitamin every morning, but I guess I'm still one of the general public who thinks that vegetarians/vegans are sickly and anemic (I mean, if you get sick from having chicken broth, you must not be well, right?).

Anyway, I'll stick around the forums and learn some more about the lifestyle and see if it is something I would like to pursue seriously.

Some things about myself, I guess:
I live in the United States; I'm from New York; I currently attend The Ohio State University; I work at a cigar/pipe shop; I enjoy reading, writing, playing guitar, pipe smoking and sports; I appreciate expertly-crafted things as art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi and welcome!
To answer your question, fish does count as meat. If you eat no meat other than fish, you are a pescatarian, not a vegetarian. I think you have some misconceptions about veg*ns. We are far from sickly. I'm curious to know why you think we get sick from eating chicken broth.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#3 Old 05-01-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Hi and welcome!
To answer your question, fish does count as meat. If you eat no meat other than fish, you are a pescatarian, not a vegetarian. I think you have some misconceptions about veg*ns. We are far from sickly. I'm curious to know why you think we get sick from eating chicken broth.

I wouldn't imagine that pescatarians have their own forums, because that sounds appealing. I wouldn't have to give up baking mussels (as a college student, $5 of mussels is probably the biggest bang for your buck food-wise, and very delicious). Wait, mussels aren't fish... I doubt they're even really sentient.

My older sister was a vegetarian for about two years and said she would get bad stomach aches from eating things that had meat, and that's why she had to inquire about the contents of soup stocks. Maybe it's just her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by |$|Berkeley View Post

I wouldn't imagine that pescatarians have their own forums, because that sounds appealing. I wouldn't have to give up baking mussels (as a college student, $5 of mussels is probably the biggest bang for your buck food-wise, and very delicious). Wait, mussels aren't fish... I doubt they're even really sentient.

My older sister was a vegetarian for about two years and said she would get bad stomach aches from eating things that had meat, and that's why she had to inquire about the contents of soup stocks. Maybe it's just her.

I think its just her. But just so you know, this is a forum for vegetarians and vegans only. If you plan on continuing to eat shellfish, this isn't the place for you. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just letting you know.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#5 Old 05-01-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:

I think its just her. But just so you know, this is a forum for vegetarians and vegans only. If you plan on continuing to eat shellfish, this isn't the place for you. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just letting you know.

I'm not certain at the moment. I'm doing research. The registration said the forum welcomes people considering becoming vegetarian.
#6 Old 05-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Here are the rules regarding what we are discussing:
Quote:
Rule #1

You must be a vegetarian or have a sincere interest in going vegetarian to register and/or post here. This is not just a vegetarian forum, this is a forum for vegetarians.

We obviously can't control what you eat but we can control what you tell us. If you are not currently vegetarian that needs to be your goal. That means no chicken and no fish. Discussion of eating meat, especially with no intention of giving it up, is not appropriate and will result in an immediate ban. Examples:

Not acceptable: "I am a vegetarian who still eats chicken/fish!"

Not ok because vegetarians do not eat chicken and/or fish. If you have no desire to give these things up then this site is not for you.

Acceptable: "I want to go vegetarian but I'm having trouble giving up chicken/fish, help!"

Ok because you're seeking help in going vegetarian.

I sincerely hope that you do decide to go veg*n. It is the best choice for you, the animals, and the environment

Jean-Paul Sartre
#7 Old 05-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB.

Mussels are animals and are therefore sentient.

*this space not for sale*
#8 Old 05-02-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:

Here are the rules regarding what we are discussing:

I sincerely hope that you do decide to go veg*n. It is the best choice for you, the animals, and the environment

I care about myself and the environment, but I'm fairly indifferent about the fate of animals, honestly. About the environment though, It would be nice I suppose if more people adopted a plant-based diet so that we wouldn't have so many cows releasing so much methane into the atmosphere.
#9 Old 05-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Veggie Regular

welcome. i hope you decide to make the switch

Quote:

I take a multi-vitamin every morning, but I guess I'm still one of the general public who thinks that vegetarians/vegans are sickly and anemic (I mean, if you get sick from having chicken broth, you must not be well, right?).

i'd probably get sick from it too. there's lots of stories on the news about meat eaters getting sick from eating meat as well. i don't see how that's an indication of someone's overall health

Quote:

$5 of beans goes a long way and they're rather nutritious.
#10 Old 05-02-2011, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My name is Berkeley. I have not started a vegetarian or vegan diet yet, but I intend to soon enough. I am the type of person who may be the last person anyone in my life would think would give up meat and/or animal products entirely.

I'm a university student. A few nights ago I was eating buffalo wings with my mates. Fairly typical meal. At some point during the meal, something clicked in my brain. I stared at the piece of meat in my hand, covered in blue cheese dressing, and the orange fried pieces of flesh amassed on the table in front of me. What seemed like the most enticing meal in the universe fifteen minutes ago now seemed grossly gluttonous and dirty. I took it all in for a few minutes, watching the guys devour the rest of the chicken like Super Hans over a table of narcotics. Maybe the two are similar. I finished the piece I was holding and guzzled down some soda to chase it out of my system.

I still feel the same way days later, and I haven't felt this way before, and I haven't eaten meat since (does fish count?). I have a strange craving to feel really healthy, to eat healthy things, to move away from the university student diet. Today I noticed that nothing I have to eat is healthy or satisfying, and mostly comes off the shelf in little boxes that probably are just relabeled Vietnam War surplus provisions.

My plans for the immediate future are to head down to the super market and get some fruits and vegetables. I don't know how long this experiment is to last. I don't have much in the way of guidance. I take a multi-vitamin every morning, but I guess I'm still one of the general public who thinks that vegetarians/vegans are sickly and anemic (I mean, if you get sick from having chicken broth, you must not be well, right?).

Anyway, I'll stick around the forums and learn some more about the lifestyle and see if it is something I would like to pursue seriously.

Some things about myself, I guess:
I live in the United States; I'm from New York; I currently attend The Ohio State University; I work at a cigar/pipe shop; I enjoy reading, writing, playing guitar, pipe smoking and sports; I appreciate expertly-crafted things as art

Welcome to Veggie Boards. While you are down the supermarket buying fruit and vegetables, also pick up some beans, lentils, seitan (which is like meat), nuts and peanut butter, soya milk, TVP (soya mince) - all good sources of protein. Many people try to be a vegetarian by just cutting out meat, but they often complain about feeling weak, because they are not getting enough protein (there is protein in fruit and veg, but in small amounts, so you need to eat a lot to get enough). So try and add a protein source to each meal. There are also plenty of readily prepared veggie foods out there - but try not to rely on it, as it is generally not as healthy as making things yourself.

Then find some recipe sites that appeal to you: I would recommend www.findingvegan.com, because they have photos of the recipes, and www.vegweb.com is also very good. There are loads of veg*n recipe sites out there (veg*n symbolises both vegetarian and vegan by the way, it's our shorthand) so go and find one with lots of recipes you like, and experiment. (just type vegetarian recipes into google - you can spend many a happy hour working your way through the results!)

And ask questions - most of the people here were omnivores at one point, so we know what you're going through.
#11 Old 05-02-2011, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi and welcome

Good luck on making the transition, the protein advice was good and you also want to make sure you get enough iron (green leafy veg, lentils, beans, pumpkin seeds, asparagus, potato skins and Fortified cereals etc). If you're not used to veg cooking it might help to use the recipe part of this site or do a search for some recipes so you have an idea of some meals; curries, pasta, chilli, pizzas, soups, salads, baked potatoes, stews, stir fries, etc can all be veg and there are a wide range of meat subs and veggie burger recipes available which are good for a transition too.
#12 Old 05-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Banned

I was initially just going to go pescatarian as I despise factory farming, however I ended up turning vegan quickly when I discovered the truth not only about the fishing industry but also about eggs and dairy. Squid and octopus are extremely intelligent, and over 1000 cetaceans (ie dolphins, whales, etc., all of whom are extremely intelligent animals) are killed in fishing nets. Something to think about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page