Hello from South Carolina!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Beginner

Hey Everyone... I been lurking here for around 3 months usually everyday, I been getting recipe ideas, help with how to respond to peoples questions about my chosen lifestyle, understanding byproducts and many many other things and I really wanted to say thanks to everyone.

I am 26 year old male from out skirts of Columbia, SC.
I been a Vegetarian since Jan 12th of this year.... so 3 months next week. If you don't count the few slip ups I have had with Gelatin, I been catching hell avoiding it. From My Multi-Vitamin to a couple Jello Shots I had due to having a good buzz and not thinking about it. But meat and more obvious flesh products like broth and lard have been pretty easy on me not do I don't even think about them being edible anymore.

I was a huge meat eater... I had been thinking for a while that I ate to much meat and I Have been thinking about how I don't like how meat is genetically enhanced and breeds aren't what they use to be nor what they should be. Also how the meat industry has turned death of living creatures into a mechanical holocaust with out any respect for the animals.

At the same time... I grew up on, I guess what could be a small farm with Pigs, Rabbits, Turkeys, goats, up to 150 chickens, pigeons, peacocks, up to 10 dogs and more. So I do have a connection to animals but I also grew up with idea from my family that I wasn't allowed to name animals that we planned to slaughter for food, due to the idea that it makes it hard on you when it comes time and my father in stilled the idea that if you named it gained a soul.

I also grew up hunting and fishing which I know isn't very respected on this forum but I think all those hours and days in the woods and on the lake made me respect nature and life a whole a lot more. It also made me realize some of the worst of humans when you see someone just kill an animal just to mount it on the wall. It also made me respect animals in the sense that as a child and young adult I saw what I and others took from an animal just for what sustained us, but now I know how and that I can sustain my life without taking lives of other beings around me

I currently don't eat eggs or milk as just themselves, I quit eating eggs when I was about 8 when I went to chicken coop and got some eggs went to fry them up but instead fryed a baby embryo that wasn't fully developed it was about year before I ever ate anything that I knew had an egg in it but never again ate anything that I could see or taste the egg in ( I don't allow eggs to be cooked at my house, I get sick at the smell). I am lactose Intolerant so no milk... Please no milk, Ill be in pain for 2 days, but I do still eat moderate amounts of cheese, Greek yogurt (for the protein) and breads etc.

I love to cook what I cook at home for the most part I have noticed is mostly Vegan... Which was very cool to notice at first. In the future I would like to giving a Vegan diet a try for right now I still need more recipes and learn how to get my dietary needs as a Vegetarian first before I feel comfortable to moving on. Also I am still trying to find convenience in my diet, I really need to learn more recipes that are quick and easy and store nice for take work and quick weekend snacks instead of processed stuff like morning star.

I can go on and on probably about 50 more paragraphs or more about why and brought me to changing my lifestyle. But my main concerns have been my own health, (Ive lost 45 pounds in 3 months and my skin is much cleaner looking), how taking a life has become commercial and has no respect for creatures, how animals are pumped with steroids, genetically enhanced for flavor and taking out their genetics that nature has given them over millions of years, also environment but I am one of those hypocrites who drives a V8 truck as well.

As for what I would like to gain from using this forum is... To be apart of a community of other Veg*ns who share a lot of my same concerns or at least can discuss my own opinions with them. Also I have learned a lot in just 3 months, this forum really inspired me into trying to become vegetarian and inspired me more to making it a long term lifestyle change, I only hope for inspiration and maybe one day give inspiration to others.

Sorry for the long winded post... I just planned to say Hey but it went a lot further then just that :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to the forum You know, you could probably trade that truck in for a Civic and some cash... Just saying They're not as cool, but with gas prices the way their going... I'm a vegan myself, but I don't have an overly varied diet. Mostly raw fruits and vegetables. Haven't even had any bread for the past week or so. It takes a little time to figure everything out Glad to have you with us, enjoy the boards
#3 Old 04-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Beginner

Cadrian, you might win the prize for lengthiest introduction, and also most informative! Nice post, welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyworry View Post

Cadrian, you might win the prize for lengthiest introduction, and also most informative! Nice post, welcome.

Over the last 3 months I havent discussed any of my thoughts about, why I decided to become a Vegetarian with anyone. So I guess thats why I had a lot to say.

I didnt realize how long it was till you said something and I scrolled up :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page