Just saying hello from St Louis, Missouri! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-10-2011, 12:32 PM

Just wanting to introduce myself to the forum and tell everyone a little bit about me.

I just recently went back to being a vegetarian 1 week ago. I was a vegetarian for three years when I was in middle school and high school and got really sick (not from being a vegetarian) and ended up long term in the hospital from Guillian-Barre Syndrome when I was 16 years old. Due to the limited amount of vegetarian offerings at the hospitals that I stayed at I was forced to, unfortunately, pretty much eat meat or not eat at all. After that I would be on again off again with vegetarianism for the past 7 years. I don't know why it took me so long to get back on board, but I am happy that I've made this choice. I know it's only been one week, but after eating this way for the past week I feel so much better. I forgot how it felt. I think my problem was before I was cutting out the meat, but I wasn't replacing it with the right kind of stuff, and that's why I had so many failed attempts. I've been making a lot of Indian Cuisines for dinner, and just over all eating healthier. I've also lost 5 pounds already, which is another reason I went back to being a vegetarian--for my health.

Anyway, just introducing myself. Hello people of the board!

Started on a Veg*n journey on March 6th, 2011, and loving every minute of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello and welcome.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 03-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi! Glad to have you!

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to the forum, mystick_moonstone.

If you're ever curious about / interested in veganism, there are lots of us on here who'll be more than happy to help you out.

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
#5 Old 03-11-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

Welcome to the forum, mystick_moonstone.

If you're ever curious about / interested in veganism, there are lots of us on here who'll be more than happy to help you out.

I am completely interested in veganism! As of right now I am going to stick to a vegetarian diet and get myself accustomed to that. That is actually a goal of mine, so it's something to work towards definitely! Thanks!

#6 Old 03-11-2011, 06:22 PM
mlp
Banned

Welcome! I lived in the St. Louis area most of my adult life, and miss it.
#7 Old 03-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Yello!! and welcome.

The Big Bad.
#8 Old 03-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystick_moonstone View Post

I am completely interested in veganism! As of right now I am going to stick to a vegetarian diet and get myself accustomed to that. That is actually a goal of mine, so it's something to work towards definitely! Thanks!

No problem.

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
#9 Old 03-19-2011, 05:26 PM

So, after doing this for a couple of weeks and realizing that the transition was very easy for me I've decided to work towards being Vegan. I also watched Earthlings, which really, really changed my life and the way I look at things. I had watched a few documentaries/movies in the past like Food, Inc. and Fast Food Nation and they struck a cord, but nothing has been as impacting as Earthlings.

Also, when I was out shopping last night at the mall for some veg*n friendly shoes I indirectly came across two vegans. One was working at the Lush counter at Macy's and the other was in a shoe store asking about Vegan shoes and explaining to the sales clerk how she was so frustrated living with a bunch of Omni's and how hard it is finding vegan shoes. Well, I'm taking that as a sign, because I'm a true believer in them, and running with. Here's to the transition. I think it will be easy. I already only buy soymilk instead of regular milk. I am actually very excited because I've always looked up to Vegans. =D

#10 Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

That's great, that you've decided to make the transition! It was watching Earthlings that did it for me, too. I always thought, prior to this, that I'd find being vegan too hard, but it really isn't, especially when you're aware of the horror of what goes on in dairy and egg "production".

I thought I would miss cheese and crave other foods I used to love, but I didn't. You find new favorites, and you learn to modify your old faves. Requires a bit of learning at the beginning, but then it becomes second nature.

#11 Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

That's great, that you've decided to make the transition! It was watching Earthlings that did it for me, too. I always thought, prior to this, that I'd find being vegan too hard, but it really isn't, especially when you're aware of the horror of what goes on in dairy and egg "production".

I thought I would miss cheese and crave other foods I used to love, but I didn't. You find new favorites, and you learn to modify your old faves. Requires a bit of learning at the beginning, but then it becomes second nature.

I'm going to buy a couple more vegan books. Any recommendations? I know I don't need too many since the web has so many wonderful recipes, but they are nice to have around! I am really excited start baking and cooking. I'm going to make a Carrot Cake tonight with "cream cheese" frosting! YUM YUM!

I also went through everything to check for animal by-products and am giving them to my grandma.

I feel so good about myself, physically and mentally--knowing I am making a difference in the world for the animals and the enviornment! =D

#12 Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm going to buy a couple more vegan books. Any recommendations? I know I don't need too many since the web has so many wonderful recipes, but they are nice to have around! I am really excited start baking and cooking. I'm going to make a Carrot Cake tonight with "cream cheese" frosting! YUM YUM!

Oooh, that sounds fantastic! I haven't had carrot cake in ages, and I've still got a bit of frosting in the fridge from Valentine's Day (wonder if it's still good?). Should make some, too...

I've gotten a LOT of use out of my copy of Robin Robertson's 'Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker'. All recipes are vegan/vegetarian. You could probably make all of these without a slow cooker, but I have to say that the slow cooker is one of my favorite kitchen appliances. You can make a gigantic pot of soup, stew, etc. and then you've got meals to fall back on for a week, sometimes more. It's awesome.

Another cookbook I love is Alicia Simpson's 'Quick & Easy Vegan Comfort Food'. I have to confess I've mostly made the easier recipes so far: vegan fettucine alfredo, dillas (quesadillas without the cheese, with hummus instead - sooo good), lemon and caper linguine are a few things that come to mind. Delicious! Oh, potato salad, too! Which was also awesome. I know I've made more than this, haha, just can't think of anything else right now...

For a good book on vegan nutrition in general - which I believe also contains recipes - I'd check out Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina's 'Becoming Vegan'.

Quote:

I feel so good about myself, physically and mentally--knowing I am making a difference in the world for the animals and the enviornment! =D

Yay! *high-five*

#13 Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 PM

Thanks so much Kimberlily! I am definitely going to buy Becoming Vegan when I get paid Friday. I was flipping through it today at the bookstore. Looks like a great resource book! I saw Veganomicon, but a lot of the recipes/ingredients were a bit overwhelming for me at the moment. I will check into the Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. I have a slow cooker and it's collecting dust at the moment. =D I also have La Dolce Vegan, which I am going to plan most of my meals from that book to start off. They are all very simple, and great tips on cheap cleaning products! Okay, I am done now!

#14 Old 03-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

No problem.

Oooh, I like Isa Chandra Moskowitz's (writer of Veganomicon) blog:

http://www.theppk.com/blog/

I haven't tried any of her recipes yet, though. I think it's like you say, there's usually some ingredient I don't have, or the instructions sound a bit complicated or time-consuming for me at the moment, whatever. I keep telling myself I'm going to make one of her meals sometime, but sometime hasn't come yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page