Vegan from Ontario Canada. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-31-2011, 01:45 PM

Hi there, I'm Talia.

I don't agree with stereotypes but I think labels help to easily describe yourself, as long as someone is willing to look deeper. I'm a vegan, straight edge, asexual, eco-feminist and activist.

I'm 19 and a university student. I'm majoring in environmental studies and may minor in women's studies next year. I spend most of my time doing readings for class or writing essays. When I have free time I draw, paint, write, go for walks to the forest, drink raspberry tea, and spend time with my animal friends. I live with a rescue dog (who is happily vegan), two rabbits, four birds, about twenty aphids now and some humans.

I've been vegan for a year and a half now, and I was vegetarian a year before that. I went vegetarian once upon a time because I read an article about the life of one downed cow. I said to myself that the mere chance that I could ever contribute to this kind of suffering was intolerable and I went vegetarian that day. I went vegan the day that I learned that being vegetarian doesn't reduce animal suffering - it actually prolongs it. The worst kind of animal suffering is experienced by milk cows and egg chickens, not the animals raised for meat.

I've done activist work over the years. I used to volunteer for a humane society (but they liked pets, not animals so I left), I plan to volunteer for a donkey sanctuary over the summer and I started a vegan club this year with my boyfriend at my university. We do a lot of outreach and activism work and are trying to build community.

In the end though I love animals, human and non-human. I'm a little jaded to the human kind sometimes, but I live my life in a way that eliminates as much suffering as possible and that sometimes involves being the 'good' vegan.

postveganism.blogspot.com

A reflective blog about what it means to be vegan in today's society.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! You sound like an interesting person, and I look forward to reading your posts.
#3 Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome! It's always great to see more Canadian vegans on VB

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page