Hello & Introduction (a Very Long Introduction!) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-04-2010, 05:01 AM
New Vegan

Hello,

I am here as a meat-eater who wants to stop! (Just wanted to establish that up front!!).

I'm a 35 year old woman (will be 36 next month). When I was a teen, I was a rebel and did the opposite as everyone else (hmm...I am still doing that with a lot of things!). I "discovered" PETA at a local fair (Common Ground Fair here in Maine) when I was 13 - the person running the booth gave me a handful of Animal Times - I read them until they fell apart. I became a vegetarian at 13, but quit at about 16 because it was hard with my family serving meat-and-potatoes meals.

As I grew up, I did not go back to veg. eating...I have no idea why I didn't (got married young and hubby eats meat, worked at Mcd's..can't believe I'm admitting that!). Not trying to make excuses, just stating the background.

I've explored the veg. lifestyle as an adult and determined that with the cruelty involved that I can't be a vegetarian, that I would have to be a vegan. I never took the formal step though. I'd stop eating meat for awhile, feel weak (because I wasn't eating right!) and go back to eating meat.

Then I joined an ultra-conservative church who is very anti-veg. Most are farmers and raise their own meat. This is horrible, but I have to say it - they even had "butchering parties" - okay, that's not what it was called (they called it "meat day" or "chicken day"), but it is what it was. The church bought 2 cows to split between the members - we, sadly, did participate (I'm laying myself on the line here...please know that the story has a good ending!). I was utterly grossed out. The cows came slaughtered (I'm so glad I did not have to see/hear that happen!) but we had to cut the meat and grind it. The smell was terrible - I ended up leaving after a few minutes. I had some of the younger ladies teasing me with the meat telling me to touch it. It was a horrible experience.

Fast-forward to last Tuesday. I was having company and prepared chicken legs (please remember - I JUST started not eating meat!!!). I bought them on sale so it was in a bag and there were probably 15 legs in it (drumsticks). As I started to BBQ them I noticed that at least 1/4 of the bones were broken. I just held one in my hand and looked at it and it all of a sudden hit me (HARD!) that this was a living breathing creature at one time and that it was torchured to the point of having broken limbs so suffered bad. For what? For me to enjoy a few bites of it's flesh.

I realized then and there that I was not going to eat meat ever again. I'm so disgusted with myself that I ever went back to eating it as a teen.

I've been doing some research on how to be a veg. and eat HEALTHY so I won't get weak this time (protein...who knew? haha). I bought myself some Almond Milk and vegan margarine, and started eating better.

I used fit-day yesterday to track my calories, fat, and fiber. I overdid it on calories (found some vegan cookies...gotta be careful with those!), but my fiber was 34 grams. That is HUGE compared to what it normally was (I'd be lucky to get 10 grams of fiber a day before).

I feel encouraged today...I have about 15 different websites that I am going to be looking at (and yes, Peta is one of them...but they seem very extreme now compared to 20 years ago!!).

I'm sorry my post was so long - I really wanted to introduce myself and that was it, but I just started talking (I tend to do that sometimes).

I look forward to reading this website and making friends here!!

~Crystal aka eclecticrebel

~~~~~
I'm a very new Vegan...please be gentle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I was a vegan before but did not have support from family but now I just do not care if I have support or not and am a vegan for life! But, since I'm standing my ground I have the support of my sweet husband, my mom and my best friend. Guess no one else really matters, right?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-04-2010, 05:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi and welcome, Crystal!

I LOVE long introductions. Partially because I'm incredibly long winded myself; I can't clear my throat in under a hundred words! And also because I like getting to know people.

Don't worry about apologizing for eating meat in the past. Most people here did (though there are some who have never had it, and we have plenty of members raising their little ones meat-free.)

I'm a newish vegan myself, just a few days shy of my very first vegan anniversary.

If you need help or advice or encouragement, VB is the place to be. We are a full-service forum, though, so in addition to help, advice, encouragement, awesome recipes, and humor we ALSO offer things like "overinflated self-righteous anger" and "omg teh drama!" and "I can start a new thread, but apparently can't use google."

So glad you've joined us!
#3 Old 07-04-2010, 05:34 AM

Hiya! *waves* longterm vegan also new to this board, and also very good at writing an essay where other people could have said the same in one sentence, lol!

I've been vegan for 16 years and a number of years before that I worked at, guess what, the butcher's! It was a Saturday job, but even so. Very few of us are lucky enough to have been raised as a vegan from birth, so don't worry about the meat-eating past, just enjoy the fact that you've now found veganism. Your food is gonna be sooo much more interesting!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-04-2010, 06:58 AM
New Vegan

Thanks for the encouragement! I think that I found a great place here - I've been reading the boards - there is SO much info...I think it will take me months to read it all!!

~~~~~

I was a vegan before but did not have support from family but now I just do not care if I have support or not and am a vegan for life! But, since I'm standing my ground I have the support of my sweet husband, my mom and my best friend. Guess no one else really matters, right?
#5 Old 07-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!
#6 Old 07-04-2010, 09:39 AM

Welcome to VB! I am also new to the boards and becoming vegan - 1 month tomorrow. It is such a wonderful decision and glad to have you here!
#7 Old 07-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Hello and welcome aboard! I love Semicharmed's description of this as a full service forum. That's a part of what keeps it interesting! And long intros are great.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#8 Old 07-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Crystal,

Welcome! I am fairly new to veg*n, too. I came over to the right side on March 13, so I am going to be 4 months old on July 13. I've never been happier. I am healthier, I am losing weight, and I have a new lease on life. You will be very happy you did this. This euphoria doesn't seem to go away, especially if you have health issues that get better. I am having a blast learning and trying new recipes all of the time. I am even dabbling in vegan raw eating a couple of days a week. i am now addicted to healthy eating!!!

Laura
#9 Old 07-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I enjoyed the story of your epiphany, it sounds similar to mine

I bit into a piece of roasted chicken, and then looking at it, HORRIFIED, realized it was a piece of flesh.

It sounds like you're really ready to commit to this lifestyle! We're here for you, you just need to ask

Welcome aboard!
#10 Old 07-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Welcome to VB.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#11 Old 07-05-2010, 07:16 AM
New Vegan

Thank you so much for the kind and loving welcome! I'm so happy that I found this board.

I'm going out shopping today - we have a Whole Foods about an hour away so I'm making a day of it. Trader Joe's is going to be opening up soon and I'm very excited about that.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Crystal

~~~~~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page