New with lots of questions! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-26-2010, 12:16 PM

Hey guys I'm new to the site, and starting to go vegetarian, my husband is in the air force at the moment so I figured it would be the best time to try it! Any tips or good recipes would be greatly appreciated!

My reasons for trying it are this. I am a huge advocate of animal rights, I see no need to be cruel to a fellow living creature. The simplest way to avoid animal cruelty is not to support it in any way thus my decision to go vegetarian. Also, over the past two years I have developed unhealthy habits in regards to foods and such, I am now making the decision to reverse this behavior by deleting a lot of my options/temptations.

My hesitations to becoming a vegetarian. I am a believer that as sophisticated as humans are we still have primal instincts. I think humans are higher up in the food chain and therefore eat what is lower on the food chain. (I understand how barbaric this may sound) I think as long as we have love and respect for what we kill and good purpose for the fallen creature I see no problem with it. Look at other creatures who rank high on the food chain. They hunt for the purpose of survival, sure we do not need meat to survive but I do believe that instinct is still wired within us.

My struggles. I like meat. I hate that I do but I do, this is no reason at all to continue eating meat, but it will be a struggle. Another is I am a mother, and I have read and been advised by physicians to avoid giving my son soy products and to feed him meats and dairy products. And lastly, my husband is a true carnivore and he s very persistant that meat is to be included with every meal or it is not a meal! lol!

All in all I would rather be a vegetarian! Any tips would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

There are lots of recipes in the recipe forum. Start simple: soups, stews, casseroles. These type of dishes tend to "fly under the radar" with meat eaters, who may not notice it's vegetarian.

Your second and third paragraphs seem to contradict each other. On the one hand you say, "I see no need to be cruel to a fellow living creature" but then turn around and write, "I think as long as we have love and respect for what we kill and good purpose for the fallen creature I see no problem with it." You might want to address that inner conflict.

As for your struggles, you'll find many here who have the same issues of parenthood and carnivore spouse. They are obstacles, but not insurmountable. You'll find lots of advice on those and other topics here. Let us know how it works out.
#3 Old 05-28-2010, 02:58 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Welcome to VB.

Why being proud to be "on top of the food chain"? The only reason we came there, is using the elevator. People are not able to kill animals with their bare hands and teeth. So we hide in houses and kill animals with long distance weapons. Not fair to the other animals who really are on top of the food chain.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello and welcome.

I still like meat too (I don't eat it of course). It is a struggle for many of us, but you are in the right place. In time you will find foods that you can eat without missing meat.

You are doing the right thing.
#5 Old 05-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Welcome to Veggie Boards.

The American Dietetic Association says that a well-planned vegetarian diet is safe for all ages of humans, even during pregnancy stages.

http://www.eatright.org/Media/content.aspx?id=1233

http://www.eatright.org/About/Content.aspx?id=8357

Physicians are not dietitians, and they are only required to take an hour of nutritional classes in order to get their degree.

Dairy is full of female bovine hormones and antibiotics; I don't see how that is any better than a plant.

Here are some links about soy:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/soy_health.html

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soynorris

http://www.all-creatures.org/health/arephyto.html

http://www.vegfamily.com/health/is-soy-bad-for-you.htm

Here is a thread on VB that has lots of links about veg*nism.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ead.php?119878

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#6 Old 05-30-2010, 02:48 PM

Thanks guys! So far I've been doing really well, the past few nights I've had taco salads with the corn meal "ground beef" It's really pretty good!

To Parsnip- haha you are right that was quite the contradiction. I suppose what I ment was, I believe in the circle of life, I believe that animals die to feed another and so on and so fourth. What I do not believe in is the inhumane way it's carried out by humans!! I don't know if that helps!

To @rno- I am not in anyway proud to be at the top of the food chain. I don't disagree with you on how disgraceful we are about it either! I suppose in my post I made it sound like I was leaning more towards remaining a meat eater. I was just sharing my pro's and cons of vegetarianism, I may have focused more on the cons simply because I figured on a site like this the pro's are somewhat obvious.

To Puppet Master and Julz- Thank you guys for your help! Puppet Master those links should prove to be very useful thank you for taking the time to send them to me and Julz thank you for your support It's always nice to hear that other people have some of the same struggles!
#7 Old 05-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!! I was a huge meater until 19. Now it's been almost 19 years since i've eaten it. I miss the taste of it at times, but i couldn't eat it. it would make me sick mentally as well as physically. It really depends on just how much you're willing to give up for others. Plus, as earlier stated, there are many great replacements out there currently and they seem to be getting better and better as time goes by.

The Big Bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page